RobbaKnight

Rank 0
PostedJul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Illusionist skill leveling and Knowledge points usage.

Hi i like about 5 of illu skills and i dont know which ones to upgrade first:
Mana Surge
Mind Control
Deadly Icicle
Ancient Call
Stimulation.

That is the order im leveling them atm, but atm i only have enough for like 2-3 skills per level. please dont reply the whole "grind for more CP" etc. I know that,but, i just want to know if im leveling them in the right/wrong order and if there are any other skills worth leveling.

Oh please tell me what regular skills i want to burn money on too, ie which are worth it.

Plus can some1 suggest knowledge point usage. Atm ive just put 10 levels into cast speed but i dont want to go any further yet until i get some advice. cheers Very Happy
Advertisement

ChronaSE

Rank 0
ChronaSE
PostedJul 20, 2011 6:53 pm
I upgraded all the skills you mentioned to 50. Upgraded DI first, then went for Ancient call, it's important for me to have a tank sience magician classes are quite poor on HP and DEF.
Eventually I raised Mana surge and Stimulation.
Never bothered to upgrade Mind control until I hit level 50 and had lots of CP to use, this skill will be your best friend in many dungeons.
Regular skills... I've raised Fire bomb, Lighting web, winter chill and magic boost to 40, rest isn't important. Didn't upgraded it to 50 because it takes a lot of money.

Knowledge points... I went for the Cast speed one and M-crit rate. Then the one that boosts your mind surge and stimulation by 10% or so I belive, don't remember the names but you'll guess them sience it requires only 1 knowledge point ( for each )

RobbaKnight

Rank 0
PostedJul 20, 2011 7:41 pm
So what order shud i level the skills? My guidie said Mana Surge then Mind Control/DI first.

vice187

Rank 0
PostedJul 20, 2011 8:58 pm
it depends on your build.

if you got star energy, crit dmg

if you got rainbow onyx, get ele dmg items and more cast speed

10% dmg on Deadly Ice is always good.

buffs are pretty decent too

Placentypus

Rank 0
PostedJul 21, 2011 7:01 am
Your Guildie's suggestion is very good for dungeon parties, but less fantastic on the solos.

Deadly Icicle is obvious and needs no explanation.

Mind Control make Illusionists ridiculously good at crowd control, especially during inevitable accidents with pulling, or when the tank/healer suddenly takes a bad hit (or dies) and needs time to recover.

Mana Surge is one of the premier reason to have an illu in your party, and keeps up the momentum of any instance run.

The flaws of this are simply that you'd have to let your 4th skill trail by about 3-5 levels, whether you choose Stimulation or Ancient Call. Stimulation is another great reason to have Illusionists in a dungeon party, but their usefulness is markedly lower if the party members aren't already equipped for castspeed/attackspeed. Ancient Call is excellent for soloing, but decreases in usefulness in dungeons. I personally left Ancient Call at 1 for a long period of time, since I didn't need it to tank, and used it more for the 10% bonus magic damage.

rugged666

Rank 0
PostedJul 21, 2011 11:56 pm
DEADLY ICICLE<-- attack skill but i use fire bomb more often
STIMULATION<--- very useful, spam it and you cast like crazy
MANA SURGE<--- needed in party buff
HYPNOTIC EYE<---- for mob control and even boss

ChronaSE

Rank 0
ChronaSE
PostedJul 22, 2011 12:21 am
rugged666 wrote:
DEADLY ICICLE<-- attack skill but i use fire bomb more often
STIMULATION<--- very useful, spam it and you cast like crazy
MANA SURGE<--- needed in party buff
HYPNOTIC EYE<---- for mob control and even boss  

:O!

kiddo150

Rank 0
kiddo150
PostedJul 22, 2011 5:03 pm
RobbaKnight wrote:
So what order shud i level the skills? My guidie said Mana Surge then Mind Control/DI first.  

I started off with Mind Surge (people stupidly call it "Mana Surge" for goodness knows what reason), since my primary reason for an illusionist is dungeons (never intended to PvP with it at all).

I kept Stimuation and Deadly Icicle approximately the same level (sometimes one or the other trails behind 3-4 levels), I didn't bother with Hypnotic Eye mainly because all levelling it does is boosts the damage of the next hit it recieves, and this only occurs once every 30 seconds.

As for Mind Control, I find using this ridiculously funny and makes the illusionist amazingly powerful with crowd control (if used on the right enemy). Using this skill multiple times on the Confused Walkers in Malice Palace made me "lol" in real life a lot as when the Charmed enemy uses its skill, it makes all other enemies run around in circles, which I find incredibly funny (although it does have a little problem with the pulling).

Moving onto the talents, I started with aiming for the boost in Stimuation, hence I got a 10% boost in Cast SPD, helping the Winter Chill and Deadly Icicle cast faster (which obviously boosts DPS) in the meantime. Next was the boosts to Lv.5 of Avid Reader (+ATK/M-ATK of Grimoires) and Pyrotechnics (+M-Crit Rate), further boosting damage (more crits + more damage = kill faster).
Later, I decided to avoid gaining aggro (Illusionists can't tank, obviously) by putting points into Transformation up to Lv.4, allowing the tank to hold aggro while still being able to inflict massive DPS. This sent me to put points into Lv.5 Spiritual Domination (vital in case I forget to Mind Surge often).

Mind Surge is important to me, hence I got the boost of Awakening (+20% MP regeneration and +2 seconds to Mind Surge), followed by the boost of Lv.5 to Psychology (INT boost) to further aid my DPS.