hack742

Rank 1
hack742
PostedJul 09, 2011 12:50 pm
You talk alot about account security but if some1 gets hacked, its hard to reclaim a lost account, for 1. If you request an email change, a confirmation notice is sent to the new email, not the old email, there should be a confirmation from the old and new, something like that.

#2 password limit is so small, on a scale of 1-10 it would receive a 1 for a security rating

#3 a key logger can only do so much on other sites, but if a keylogger gets the username and password to some1's account here, they dont need the owners permission to change the email to their own account or an alternate so the user cannot reset the password/recover a lost account, it leads to unneccessary accounts being created because for 1 to send in an support ticket they need to send in an email from an account and once that accounts all done and used for your left with another account that is unmaned

#4im sleepy
Advertisement

Paltrix

Rank 0
PostedJul 10, 2011 2:42 am
This happened to me as well. Was lazy about my password/username for so long (~8 years) but now i've gone thru and changed all my passwords...and ugh, almost need a cheatsheet now to remember them.

Cincierta

Rank 2
Cincierta
PostedJul 11, 2011 10:50 am
Just an additional thought: please make sure you don't use the same password for multiple accounts; even if it's a strong password, if someone else knows what it is, they can easily guess and access the rest of your accounts.

I was just talking to another person in-game, saying that their friend threatened them that if they didn't give him 50 bucks, all of their money on their accounts would be gone. The person I was talking to didn't think it was true, but earlier today they logged in, and all of their gold was gone. Unfortunately, since the threat was over the phone, there wasn't much the person I was talking to could do, other than have someone he really trusts keep an eye on him, and maybe report him to the cops.

I do agree that a password limit change would be a good idea, but not if the passwords are easy to guess, and aren't encrypted. Remember what happened to Sony's PSN?

GMKarnage240

Rank 0
PostedJul 11, 2011 10:52 am
My username is qwerty and my password is yuiop.
Ain't I smart?

Cincierta

Rank 2
Cincierta
PostedJul 11, 2011 11:15 am
From that account name, I'd say you ate a few too many pieces of wall candy =.=

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
PostedJul 11, 2011 11:24 am
GMKarnage240 wrote:
Ain't I smart?  

The good news is that your accounts are never at risk of being compromised..

LilianMcK

Rank 4
LilianMcK
PostedJul 11, 2011 11:28 am
Superman0X wrote:
GMKarnage240 wrote:
Ain't I smart?  

Very Happy:

trustwolf

Rank 3
trustwolf
PostedJul 11, 2011 11:35 am
LilianMcK wrote:
Superman0X wrote:
GMKarnage240 wrote:
Ain't I smart?  

Very Happy:  

still pretty hard since you double used the y Sad

Deagle vs Armor part 2 part 3 part 4

Killa_1112

Rank 5.1
Killa_1112
PostedJul 11, 2011 12:29 pm
trustwolf wrote:
LilianMcK wrote:
Superman0X wrote:
GMKarnage240 wrote:
Ain't I smart?  

Very Happy:  

still pretty hard since you double used the y Sad  

My password is 'NeverGuessThis'

it has worked so far Laughing

- Courtesy of the Great Avyn

robobubo

Rank 0
robobubo
PostedJul 14, 2011 12:27 pm

You shouldn't assume everyone is doing something wrong..

I understand stressing that a stronger password is necessary, but that's not always the issue.

Yesterday, I came back to my computer, only being gone 10 minutes, and my account was disconnected. My guild members said I was still logged on, but I could not actually log back on. I had a really bad feeling about it then started freaking out on the SB, looking for a GM. After about 10 minutes of not being able to get back on but my character still being there, I requested they ban me.
It turned out that someone from Germany had compromised my account, according to the GM.

Let me point some things out:

**With this account, I do not use this same information for anything else, so I know it wasn't due to any other site having their information compromised. I specify "THIS" account because I tend to foolishly do it for other gaming sites (use same name and password); I'll be changing that shortly, too. My Aeria account is my "baby", and I keep it different from everything else in case something like that happens.

**I do NOT share my username/password information. Not even my boyfriend, whom I've lived with for years, knows my password (not that he would do anything, but I'm stressing how secret I keep my information).

**I do not click anything I am not familiar with; I do not go to sites I am unfamiliar with. I steer clear of anything fishy (or 'phishy' if you will).

IF something were to ask for my username and password, even a site I log into EVERY day, I always look at the address bar to make sure nothing is different. I've been in the habit of doing this for years, since there was an issue with Myspace and people not logging on to the real site. It didn't happen to me, but I'm paranoid, what can I say?

**My password strength IS strong. Don't get me wrong, it can ALWAYS be stronger, but it IS strong and I've never had an issue where someone has been able to compromise.. well, ANYTHING of mine. There are several caps, lower cases, and numbers mixed up throughout. Due to the current circumstances, I'm beginning to use symbols, too, because obviously, what I did wasn't enough.

I'm not blaming Aeria for this- I don't have evidence to put toward placing blame on anyone, but if my case is related to anyone here, I can tell you that it IS possible their account was not compromised due to their stupidity or lack of knowledge.

I'm not sure what's going on, and I refuse to run my game again until I feel safe about doing so.