tragictwist

Rank 0
tragictwist
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:20 am

Game acronyms, phrases, and foreign words to the noob

Come help me make an EE Urban Dictionary XD
So I feel a little embarrassed because I play EE daily, and even started during CB... But I am not sure what some of these game terms are. D:
I never really played any online games besides RuneScape before this, so I'm wondering if they are common and I have just missed them. >.>

I finally learned what a "tank" is, LFP = looking for party, "healer" is an obvious one...
I think LFM is "looking for more", but looking for more what?
And I was informed that dps is "damage per second", but it seems this is referred to for classes, so I'm not really sure what A dps is?

Anyway, I was hoping you guys would clear these up and share some of the other ones you know/use often. Very Happy

Check out my video of Eden Eternal's closed beta! <BR> This is all the fun you missed by not playing for the last few minutes ;D<BR> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVIisA3OqU
Advertisement

KuroKaren

Rank 1
KuroKaren
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:22 am
I think LFM can be used when searching for more party members or something.

DPS (damage per second) is the class that does damage (magic DPS can be magician, range DPS is the hunter, etc.)

Other useful stuff:

AoE - Area of effect
HoT - Heal over time
DoT - Damage over time

Stuff I've seen for EE only:
MA - Martial Artist
BD - Blade Dancer
Illu - Illusionist
Eng/Engi/Engine - Engineer

And my personal favorite (I still lol everytime I hear it): Shammy - Shaman XDD

tarkdraco

Rank 1
tarkdraco
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:41 am
WTS - Want to Sell
WTB - Want to Buy
WTT - Want to Trade
Pots - Potions
DPS - Damage Per Second, referring to damage dealers
DD - Damage Dealer, practically the same as above
AoE - Area of Effect
HoT - Heal over Time
DoT - Damage over Time
Aggro/Malice - Basically what person the monster wants to attack, the more aggro the more it wants to attack you. The two terms can be used interchangeably.
Alt - Alternate Charater/Account
BoE - Bind on Equip, kinda uncommon to hear
Buff - A status that increases attributes
Camping - Staying in one area to farm mobs
Farming - Killing the same kind of mobs over and over again for the drops/profit/EXP
EXP - Experience
Mobs - Monsters
Aggro Mobs -Mobs that instantly grab aggro from someone when going by, red named mobs in this game do this
Crit - Critical Hit
FTW - For the Win
GM - Game Master
GS - Game Sage
Griefer - Someone who harasses, where it be by killing you repeatedly or by taking oyur mobs when farming.
IRL - In Real Life
Zerg - You go Leeroy Jenkins on this and run in with no plan.
Wipe - To have oyur whole team killed off, often a bad dungeon run occurs for a wipe ot happen
Rez- Resurrection, bring another player back to life
Regen - Regeneration, how fast your HP/MP recovers
Pull - To target and pull away one or two mobs from a group rather then pulling the whole group
OMW - On My Way
Nerf - Reducing the efficiency or lethality of a class/skilll, much like how the company Nerf took away the dangers of guns by making it foam and plastic
Loot - Items found on the ground
LF - Looking For
Kite - To run around a mob to avoid damage while sending off skills/attacks till they get close and running again

I do hope these help. These are just the general terms used, there are some that are created just for every game. Like TT may become a popular abbreviation for 'Terrafied Thoughts' an item required for a crafting lvl 30 oranges. Terms may also be made for dungeon bosses.

tragictwist

Rank 0
tragictwist
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:56 am
Oh my goodness, there's a lot more than I thought. xD
Thanks guys!

I saw yesterday somebody saying they were "aggro'd"... so they were just saying they were the one to get attacked by the mobs?
That one confused me a little, but all the others one are super helpful. Very Happy

Check out my video of Eden Eternal's closed beta! <BR> This is all the fun you missed by not playing for the last few minutes ;D<BR> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVIisA3OqU

inylchilar

Rank 0
inylchilar
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:58 am
Boss - The powerful enemy at the end of dungeons

Ninja - Someone who needs something they don't really need when everyone else greeds, guaranteeing they get the item. This is very very frowned upon.

Drops - Loot from bosses that they literally drop on the ground, at least in this game.

Need - You actually need and can use an item that drops off the boss.

Greed - You only want a dropped item to sell for money.

OP - Overpowered.

KuroKaren

Rank 1
KuroKaren
PostedJun 21, 2011 9:06 am
Also,

1h - One handed weapons
2h - Two handed weapons
IMF - It's my fault (that happened)
PT - Party
PK - Player Kill
OTW - On the way
AFK - away from the keyboard
QFT - Quoted for truth
BRB - be right back
BoP - Bind on picking up the item
PvM - Player vs Monster
PvE - Player vs Environment
PvP - Player vs Player
GvG - Guild vs Guild´
DC or D/C - Disconnected/Lost connection
Toon - your character Razz
Main - Your main class
Grind - Killing many monster as to gain exp
Whisp - Whisper

tragictwist

Rank 0
tragictwist
PostedJun 21, 2011 9:56 am
Thank you so much for your responses....
This is now officially my reference guide~

PrinnyKaboom

Rank 0
PrinnyKaboom
PostedJun 21, 2011 10:06 am
well.... this could be for other games for where you can just kill any player without a duel or something of the sorts

like Aika from Gpotato but I soon regretted doing that because I got smacked with a heavy penalty for 24hours and I have to say logged on for the timer to go down.

Death Camp - Keep on killing the same person over and over at their respawn spot

celestar

Rank 5.1
celestar
PostedJun 21, 2011 10:14 am
GQ = guild quest
RQ = rep(eat) quest
CoD = Cash on delivery (mail selling feature)
CP = character point (mainly for party farming CP points)

...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. (Monty Python)

aminru

Rank 2
aminru
PostedJun 21, 2011 10:25 am
When anyone uses LFM (sometimes they put a number between the F and M, like LF1M), it's always accompanied by either the name of a dungeon or guild quest name or level. Always. Because, uh... yeah... not everyone knows where you're gonna go Leeroy Jenkins on. But I'm guessing you figured it out from previous posts.

Here, some rarer ones that I occasionally see.

J> (name of dungeon/guild/guildquest/party) : Joining
R> (name of guild) : Recruiting
Noob: A name calling referring to someone who doesn't know how to use their class "efficiently" (note the quotations. Classes usually do not have a fixed usage, and have multiple ways of using them. For example, not all clerics are required to heal. It's expected of them, but not required)
Nub: Refers to Rhia_Shirubia, or GSRhia ingame. Haha (it's a joke that people in her guild calls her that) XD
Hate: An even rarer term describing Aggro/Malice, as stated in a previous post
OMG: Oh my God (or Oh my Gosh to some people with... yeah)
WTF: What the f*** (fill in the rest)
WTH: What the h*** (fill in the rest)
PM: Private message. Usually people would say "PM me", which means to whisper them.
/t : How you would whisper someone by typing out the command.
FFS: For f*** sake

...Yeah, that's all I got that weren't listed. For now. Let's just hope you don't use some of these terminologies, but at least you'll know what it means when you see it (especially the word "noob" since you played Runescape). Haha~ XD

There's also one more, but I don't know what it means.

inb4: I'm guessing it means "in before (some doomsday-like situation happens)