LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
PostedJun 11, 2011 4:22 am   Last edited by LordRapthorne on Jun 11, 2011 12:19 pm. Edited 3 times in total

[Guide] Transparency In Guild Insignias

How to make a transparent guild insignia
So, you want an awesome guild insignia, but think that square of white just looks a little sucky?

Here's how to fix it.

remember the guild insignia requirements: must be in .bmp format, must be in the dimensions 32 x 32 pixels

Step 1. take your image, in this example, I'll be using

Step 2. open the image in an image editing program, for the sake of ease, I have chosen to use MSpaint in my example.

Step 3. Select the "Fill with colour" tool (aka the paint bucket)

Step 4. Add a new custom colour to your palette, with the exact numbers as have been highlighted in the red box

Step 5. Fill any area you wish to make transparent with this colour.

Step 6. Make sure to save as .bmp format.

Step 7. You can now go to your guild interface and select "Test Insignia" to see exactly what your insignia will look like in game, the example below is the test display of this image

I hate the pink outline... how do I get rid of it?

or you go to edit the emblem, zoom in, fill paint the background some safe color (like green if you don't have any green in the emblem), you will see some pixels remaining pink -- they are what gives the pink outline because they are not the proper color due to blending. use the droper and sample one of these tiles, fill paint the safe color area with this sample, then re-fill paint it the safe color. Find the next off-color pixel and repeat. Continue to do this until you get rid of all the non-transparent pink shades.

Doing it this way you can keep any lighting/shading effects on the edges that tend to get lost when using other methods, aswell as smoothing out edges that sometimes get jagged from the blending that are noticable when the background blends are taken out.  
Advertisement

erlongodes

Rank 0
erlongodes
PostedJun 11, 2011 4:29 am
nice rap, congrats for u u just made a guide Very Happy

AncientArti

Rank 2
AncientArti
PostedJun 14, 2011 8:35 am
Thanks Blood, I was wondering about this for a while Smile

pepsixz

Rank 0
PostedJun 21, 2011 7:03 am
Hello. I do still get the pink outline. I've checked many times already making sure it's the same properties in all the pink pixels. What am I doing wrong?

g_ran_tier

Rank 0
PostedJun 21, 2011 8:14 am
Heyo, do the hue, saturation and luminosity levels matter?

Master_Arc

Rank 1
Master_Arc
PostedJun 26, 2011 6:25 am
It doesn't work for me, could you contact me further on this? I still get pink edges.

I even just made a black box in paint with the pink around it, you can see everything in the image including the result in-game.

DefAnt

Rank 0
DefAnt
PostedJun 26, 2011 11:45 am
Trying to get these Color settings into PhotoShop CS2 (yes i know it's an old one but who cares...)

However, Sat and Lum only have a Percentage. I can't exactly put 240 Sat and 120 Lum to get this exact pink for Transparency.

DefAnt --- I really am deaf, but I can kick your butt :). WarBringer - Eden Eternal - Aquamarine Cleric/Warrior - Templar

Iyeru

Rank 4
Iyeru
PostedJun 27, 2011 6:48 pm
DefAnt wrote:
Trying to get these Color settings into PhotoShop CS2 (yes i know it's an old one but who cares...)

However, Sat and Lum only have a Percentage. I can't exactly put 240 Sat and 120 Lum to get this exact pink for Transparency.

You can try setting the BMP to have an alpha attribute like GIMP does while on the save as dialog, see if that works.

ShinzuiUindo

Rank 0
ShinzuiUindo
PostedJul 06, 2011 3:47 am
I have the same issue as pepsixz, what could be the cause? Every desired transparent pixel is perfectly the same color and it still has a pink outline.

edit: I think it's just the insignia preview that has this issue, because it gets resized to 35x35

akagambit

Rank 0
akagambit
PostedJul 09, 2011 10:55 am
The insignia system in this game is a bit finicky...
I have made crests/insignias in many games and I know how the transparency works and normally get a good picture with working transparency on the first try...

This game, I have over 30 images and all of them have something wrong with them.

It requires a LOT of trial and error before you can get something you really like, and that works. Its a pain, but it can be done.