EsoOcc

Rank 0
PostedJun 08, 2011 6:48 am   Last edited by EsoOcc on Jun 08, 2011 6:51 am. Edited 1 time in total

Launcher Problem

A problem I'm having that I can't seem to find anything for on the forums
The Problem: When I run the launcher, the launcher's info-screen stays blank and in the patch status it says "Download:version.txt". If I leave it to run for about an hour, the only change is the time out, which just creates a 'page failed to load' status.

What I've Tried? Disabling security software's firewall, rebooting, reinstalling, changing the launcher configuration file's numerical values(from another thread's help).

Screenshots, because there are those people who wont budge to help unless they see it.

From open to time-out:

After the timeout:
Advertisement

celestar

Rank 5.1
celestar
PostedJun 08, 2011 6:50 am
you need to add launcher.exe to your firewall exception list so it can access the internet and get patches. Once it patches you will also need to add _Launcher.exe to the firewall's exception list to let the game work.

...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. (Monty Python)

EsoOcc

Rank 0
PostedJun 08, 2011 6:52 am
celestar wrote:
you need to add launcher.exe to your firewall exception list so it can access the internet and get patches. Once it patches you will also need to add _Launcher.exe to the firewall's exception list to let the game work.  

It is an exception to my firewall. That is one of the first things I check upon installation.

celestar

Rank 5.1
celestar
PostedJun 08, 2011 7:23 am
something is still blocking the game from reaching the patch server. Generally when it times out like its doing to you on patching it means that its not able to reach the network to connect to the patch server. Does your antivirus have an exception list you might need to add to it? What firewall program do you have?

...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. (Monty Python)

EsoOcc

Rank 0
PostedJun 08, 2011 7:25 am
celestar wrote:
something is still blocking the game from reaching the patch server. Generally when it times out like its doing to you on patching it means that its not able to reach the network to connect to the patch server. Does your antivirus have an exception list you might need to add to it? What firewall program do you have?  

I disabled my antivirus firewall program, and disabled that part of it. Not sure why the patcher was doing that, but,

I tried reinstalling and it finally worked.

celestar

Rank 5.1
celestar
PostedJun 08, 2011 7:29 am
certain AV and firewall are more protective and might detect something in the game it doesn't like and will block it. Some AV heuristics are too sensitive to anti-cheat code in the game and think they are maleware. Can't blame the AV company for being over cautious but it does make online game painful to many