Lovejaw

Rank 0
Lovejaw
PostedJun 03, 2011 6:28 am   Last edited by Lovejaw on Jun 04, 2011 1:42 am. Edited 2 times in total

[Mini-Guide] Armor Types and Equipping

Up-To-Date (For Now)
So a lot of people have been complaining that they can't figure out what armor goes on what class, well let me tell you, there's a way to know!

Let's start by pressing 'K' and opening our Class window and going to the Class Roster tab as displayed at the top:

If you note the sections circled in red; the icon is the armor icon that appears on every class and hovering your mouse over it will produce a small description which will tell what armor type that class uses: Cloth, Light or Heavy.

So now you know what kind of armor a character uses, but how do you tell what kind of armor the drop you got is? Well sometimes it's obvious; items called robes are robes and therefore mage equipment and thus cloth, and chestplates are heavy armor but there is an another way!

This is a two step process so please bear with me!

First off, you can actually equip three sets of armor AT ONCE! One for each category of Cloth, Light and Heavy and when you switch class your character will swap to the appropriate armor set equipped on its own. How then do view these sets? Well first you press 'C' to open your character window and look for the circled bit:

Now I'm playing a Hunter which uses Light Armor so the light armor tab is displayed, but you can switch between the tabs to see your other sets so let's do that and look at my Heavy Armor.

Now see the circled area here, same place where Light Armor was displayed except now we're looking at Heavy Armor: Notice how it's greyed out? That's because Hunters cannot use Heavy Armor.

The same applies for Cloth Armor!

Now let's say an enemy drops an item and we can't figure out what weight category its in (Cloth, Light or Heavy), but we know that it is body armor: well handily we have basic body armor equipped in each item set now, because we went and bought the cheapest possible of each kind from the npcs and when we hover our mouse over that item in our inventory it will compare it with the body armor of the corresponding set. Let's look below to see this in action!

See how the game compares those two robes? Well that's because the robe we have equipped and the robe we picked up are both CLOTH armors and the game does this comparison even though I'm currently classed as a Hunter which is a LIGHT armor class. This will work in both the inventory AND in shops, so you can compare your potential purchase with the armor you have in that weight class easily.

Please note you can only equip Cloth Armor while using a class that uses Cloth Armor, and you can only equip Light Armor while using a class that uses Light Armor, and the same applies for Heavy Armor. On the plus side, as each piece of armor, when equipped, is removed from your inventory and stored on your character page ('C' button) that means you're not wasting 12 inventory spaces on armor for each category.

Hopefully this is a little help, if a bit tedious, I'll be working on this guide as I continue to explore the Closed Beta between writing essays for University.
Advertisement

iaaf83

Rank 1
iaaf83
PostedJun 03, 2011 7:10 am
Great Post (I'll Kudo you if I knew how to Very Happy) I think It'll help a lot of players (It took me a while to figure out). Still it's kinda difficult at the beginning when u have nothing to compare to, and u have to keep switching classes to find the right one that can equip.

on that note a reference to the armour type in the tooltip would be helpful

Also you should be able to change all the three types of armour indipendently by the class you are using atm (since u can switch everywhere u are, it's just a matter of time in changing equipping and changing back).

Lovejaw

Rank 0
Lovejaw
PostedJun 03, 2011 7:14 am
I admit it's not the perfect solution and the tooltip displaying the info would be so much better; hopefully some parts of this guide will become redundant later on as things are potentially improved and/or fixed.

Niriun

Rank 0
Niriun
PostedJun 03, 2011 11:53 am
This was very helpfull! Thanks <3

Lovejaw

Rank 0
Lovejaw
PostedJun 04, 2011 1:45 am
A few more tests run to check the system, guide updated with a few small notes.

littlepixies

Rank 0
PostedJun 04, 2011 11:38 am
yeah i ran on that too. just hover over the item and you will see item comparing. then just take note of the name of the item being compared. then open your inventory and search for the tab which contains that name. if you see it in light armor, then its for range and melee dps. if its heavy its for tank. and if its cloth its for heal and magic dps.

though it will be great to have labels on them. btw do close beta have patches? ;P

Rietto

Rank 1
Rietto
PostedJun 04, 2011 2:13 pm
Oh, thanks a TON for this! So helpful! =D

NamelessMystery

Rank 0
NamelessMystery
PostedJun 05, 2011 5:47 am
I see you took your time drawing the red boxes around the pictures. Nice drawing Very Happy

Lovejaw

Rank 0
Lovejaw
PostedJun 05, 2011 6:36 pm
NamelessMystery wrote:
I see you took your time drawing the red boxes around the pictures. Nice drawing Very Happy  

Paint, an unsteady hand, and determination: It's my modus operandi for sure.

SolestiaDeLuna

Rank 2
SolestiaDeLuna
PostedJun 05, 2011 7:48 pm
glad someone took the time to do this complete with screenies... I tried to explain this process once in one of the other threads... the pictures make it that much better

good job o.ob