ballistik1

Rank 0
ballistik1
PostedMay 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Tank Archer/Hunter?

Its not a traditional build, but I just wanted community thoughts on it, keep in mind its not full rec, only incorporated into the build. Maybe this could be a new build for players to try out and maybe even like.

Smile
Advertisement

MorwenXEstelwen

Rank 1
MorwenXEstelwen
PostedMay 28, 2011 3:59 pm
random rec isn't going to help x__x

piecemealcranky

Rank 2
piecemealcranky
PostedMay 28, 2011 6:19 pm
Personally think it wouldn't be too well done. A good DEX build coupled with HP will increase chances of survivability, of course, specifically referring to PvP.

ballistik1

Rank 0
ballistik1
PostedMay 28, 2011 6:39 pm
Taken from misterdude's archer guide...

HYBRID BUILDS - Generally, any build that combines all the stats in significant quantities each (LUC, DEX, STR, and perhaps REC) is something that is considered a Hybrid build. It's also the most solid and "best" build in my opinion but it requires that you have a LOT of stat points, which typically means at least Hard Mode and very very good gear. In the end, nearly every archer/hunter is some kind of a hybrid. However, the specific distribution of your stats depends entirely on what aspect of the game you are most leaning toward. There just is NO build that pwns all. If you want to be the best in PvP you need a certain build. If you want to be the best DPS you can against Cryptic Throne bosses you need a different build. If you want to be the fastest solo grinder you need yet a different build. If you want to be the best 1-15 PvPer it is again a different build. You cannot be the best at everything using only a single build. You either have to constantly reset your build or you need to just take a reasonable balance that favors what you do most but still preforms well at everything you do. That's what most do in the end. The typical hybrid build is a mix of LUC, STR, DEX, and HP.

I made build that one section of the paragraph to point out that even he (misterdude) thought that a hybrid build is a good thing, trying out different builds is never bad, find out what works, and what works for everyone else might not work for you, and vice/versa.

piecemealcranky

Rank 2
piecemealcranky
PostedMay 28, 2011 6:54 pm
It's not bad to try, but you're definitely not the first. I recall couple years back someone has inquired insight on REC built archer/hunter. Up until EP5, some skills were really suggesting that archer and hunter should only ever be a ranged class, until they introduced somewhat "useful" melee skills for hunters/archers to use, such as that Sleeper Ban or whatever it is. Also, that other skill that pushes enemy away from you.

I think AES meant Hybrid in a form of a more "practical" build. Many hunters/archers are hybrid anyway, because one can not have only one type of stat to focus on, but several that work together to allow for a competitive PvP. Practical builds usually are DEX, LUC and STR for archers/hunters, and anything else may not equip one with enough points and you cannot utilize a particular stat to overwhelm opponents (unless you're really, really a big spender and are prepared to spend a lot on gears). REC "may" help with survivability, but pushing REC instead of other stats will disallow for a good ranged offensive (in my case being a HM, this has definitely been the case -_-).

I still firmly believe a lot of DEX (range of 800 to probably about more) and LUC with additional high HP rerolls on every piece of gear will increase your survivability, and you'll be "tanking" with loads of misses above your head along the way.

ballistik1

Rank 0
ballistik1
PostedMay 28, 2011 7:05 pm
So its do-able if you've got the gold/resources to gear one up really well. Kinda like battle guard/def, you've got to put a good amount of gold into gear to really make them great.

piecemealcranky

Rank 2
piecemealcranky
PostedMay 28, 2011 7:08 pm
Exactly, and while doing that, you're better off going DEX and LUC build and really stress out on those stats and you'll still be able to kill and evade. Nevertheless, I support any form of build you do as long as you're not INT build.

ballistik1

Rank 0
ballistik1
PostedMay 28, 2011 7:23 pm
Lol yeah, int or wis I think are stats you REALLY don't want in an archer. Well, maybe wis, if your goal is to minimize magic damage.

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedMay 28, 2011 11:04 pm
The problem with trying to do a tank build as an archer is that you don't have any skills that can hold aggro for multiple mobs.

You only really have a couple of AoE attacks, and nothing that is a guaranteed hit.
Priests/mages have frost barrier/fire thorns, defenders have taunt, fighters can pull it off because they have so many AoE attacks, but archers and rangers struggle a little.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot harder and you have to be prepared for the fact that you will lose mobs. You need to have a plan for what happens when you do.

RIP Kizzd

piecemealcranky

Rank 2
piecemealcranky
PostedMay 28, 2011 11:50 pm
I think TC is referring to REC built archer/hunter, and not tanking mobs... Misleading title. ;p

EDIT: Well it may go both ways :p