Aeria.Gamer

Rank 0
PostedMay 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Akamai

What Exactly Is It?
Ok I tried downloading Shaiya last night. It took about two hours and when I was finished I double checked my Task Manager to see what was running that does not need to be running. I found the downloader on there and another program associated with it. I tried deleting it multiple times and it refused to be deleted. Eventually the one side program did get off, but the downloader would not. The program was already done downloading so what business did it have still using my PC?

I did not agree for Akamai to download anything onto my PC, only Aeria as I recall and will check again. After posting a similar question in Shaiya itself I was informed it is a bit torrent software or something like it. I purposely do not use sites like that. How safe is Akamai? I am not worried about how many people use it, I am worried about how safe it is. When a program refuses to delete from my Task Manager when I am through with it and on top of that refuses to let me delete the downloader into the recycle bin, a red flag pops up. I had to disconnect myself from the internet just to find a way to get it off and even then it was popping up with warnings. I did a scan of my PC and found nothing wrong, but still... WTF!?!

Why are we using a bit torrent site for the official downloads of Aeria games? Were we properly warned of it before the actual download that it is a bit torrent or like a bit torrent site? Also as I asked before, how safe is Akamai? My computer was running extremely slow last night and I am not sure exactly what their downloader does besides downloading the games.

Also for future reference what games use official downloaders from Aeria that are "official" download sites and do not use bit torrents or like bit torrent sites? I have downloaded other games from Aeria and never had this problem before that I know of. This may dictate what I choose to download and play and then what games I am willing to pay for if I like the game or not.

Also I did some googling of it, but I still want to hear it from people that actually have had first hand experience with it.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Advertisement

ShadowArc

Rank 5
ShadowArc
PostedMay 02, 2011 7:00 pm
As you mentioned, Akamai is like a pseudo-torrent program Aeria uses when you download their games. Other MMO publishers use a similar program called Pando Media Booster. After it is done downloading, it will try to upload the file for others to download, similar to what torrent programs do.

It's been a while since I've messed with it, but if you want to check where it is located, go to Program Files/Common Files/Akamai and then run ControlPanel.exe. Under Preferences you can disable Uploads, tell it to stop running, clear cache, etc. Or, simply uninstall it if not going to download any other Aeria games. Otherwise, just disable uploading.

yulli

Rank 4
PostedMay 02, 2011 7:06 pm
ShadowArc wrote:
simply uninstall it if not going to download any other Aeria games.  

that is what I do after I download a game from here. as soon as its is done downloading and the game is installed, go to start menu, then go to control panel, then add or remove programs, then find akamai and uninstall it.

Aeria.Gamer

Rank 0
PostedMay 02, 2011 9:34 pm
ShadowArc wrote:
After it is done downloading, it will try to upload the file for others to download, similar to what torrent programs do.  

Can you explain that please. What exactly are they trying to upload from my PC? Just the same thing I downloaded or other content? Are there any dangers from this? I do not want any thing from my computer going to someone else nor do I want something from someone else's computer. What if they had maleware or worse? Wouldn't that come through the download?

So are all games on Aeria using this downloader? Are there alternate ways to download these games? I never had a problem until last night and that was my fourth uploaded game.

ShadowArc

Rank 5
ShadowArc
PostedMay 02, 2011 11:07 pm
It is simply uploading the game installer you downloaded. The only downside to allowing uploads is that it could slow down your net, so simply disable that.

Most of their games use that Akamai downloader, with very few offering an alternative download link. Some other MMO sites might have direct downloads, though.