Avyn

Rank 5.2
Avyn
PostedApr 21, 2011 10:36 pm
Superman0X wrote:
When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders.
When we had the up to 35% @ 100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.  

From what I was seeing, the main point that people were upset with was that while the scaling of the bonus cash sale was not a new concept, the cap for the top bonus payout was lower in the past. Back when tiered events for Shaiya were 15,000 AP for top tier, the best way to participate was to wait for 50% bonus cash sale and make a $100 purchase for total 15,000 AP.

That is no longer an option and players felt as though the company was pushing them to contribute more for the same benefit. I don't think it's about offering too much advantage to large spenders, but the feeling of those who spent $100 a year ago are no longer as valued for spending $100 today.

Advertisement

tasherana

Rank 2
PostedApr 22, 2011 1:27 am
The major point for me is that 50% used be from a $100, now $100 gives 35%. You didn't think this would make people unhappy?
I don't mind if $200 gives more than $100, it's that your giving less and less as time goes by. Aeria used to give 100% once or twice a year but this hasn't happened for a long time.
Your long term costumers who would save for 100% events have now seen this max value keep going down; and now we have to spend more to get the lower max value.
This makes people unhappy, and unhappy people don't want to buy AP.

GrandDreaming - GameSage: Domo » Aug 14, 2009 3:06 pm rana isnt a nice person | JonGhost - GameSage: Forum » Nov 21, 2009 1:51 am lol Rana is so mean

sagravd

Rank 1
PostedApr 22, 2011 2:17 am
i think it should be:

Up to 75% @ $200(or 100%)
Up to 50% @ $100
keeping the 50% for $100 people wont be upset and with the extra bonus for $200 some players will feel motivated to buy more

also it would be nice to have ap fun cards of $100(with 50% bonus)

xNightshadowx

Rank 3
xNightshadowx
PostedApr 22, 2011 4:25 am

RE: Feedback: Price Points and Bonus Cash

So by increasing the limit to $300 what will that make the $50 and $100?
That is the problem - There used to be a time that buying AP in general gave a higher % back and there were flat-rate %30 and 50% reward pt sales - that come in 3 months.
As the years went by this % got less and less and the instant bonus gets less and less to the point that now charging with Paypal is not at all worth it to me anymore - I look for AP cards because the bonus is somewhat comparable to what it used to be but then there's still no decent reward AP anymore.

Paypal recurring is still nice but limits to 1 account and requires a min 4 month sign up.

I very much dislike that the bonus goes down more and more as you increase the max amt but instead of increasing the bonus for the max amt you lower the bonus for everything else.
I have been quite supportive the past few years but do feel more and more unhappy with how this is going as well. If I can't find AP cards I mostly just don't charge anymore.

If the bonus was back to how it used to be or there were more flat rate sales like 30% bonus for anything charged regardless of amt or tiered 30% bonus for anything up to $75 and then $75+ 50% bonus it would be nicer.

Thanks Tempus - Uploaded with ImageShack.us<br></br> IGN Onyx: -=*Angel*=- IGN Sapphire: .+:Angel:+.

KaerellaBlaise

Rank 3
KaerellaBlaise
PostedApr 22, 2011 5:02 am
Personally, I had been spending $100 on aeria points when the 50% bonus offers came along, so was happy to see the "up to 50% bonus" announcement turn up as usual... but less than delighted when I discovered that I was expected to spend twice as much money to get the full discount. I really couldn't justify spending that much cash in one go. Sad

LilianMcK

Rank 4
LilianMcK
PostedApr 22, 2011 5:15 am   Last edited by LilianMcK on Apr 22, 2011 5:45 am. Edited 6 times in total

Re: Bonus Cash

Koldar357 wrote:
Instead of just looking at the one time purchase, you might consider reviewing the recent history of the customer and basing the % on their combined purchases. If handled correctly, it could be a win, win, win situation. The company gives cane get more purchases with special incentives. Smaller or multi-one time buyers could get special promotions if they purchased more than the prior month. Large buyers could get the maximum bonus even on smaller purchases.  

I see something in the above although details need to be ironed out, not to be too complicated. You are talking loyalty scheme here.

However it could also be a lot simpler.

Superman I shall quote from my original post and rt linked here http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1141805

Although of course as a businesswoman I fully understand with regard to volume discounts and incentives for big spenders, my main point as a customer (albeit a small customer) over a period of years, was that within a short period of time my own personal discount reduced drastically.
I have to look at this from a consumer point of view and how this affects me personally.

I quote the main part from my original post

LilianMck wrote:
As I said I have not been tempted recently to spend. I have always had a rule not to spend more than $50 at a time and have seen this bonus reduced last year for me personally.

Up to May last year for my $50 I got 50%

August last year this went down to 40% (still quite acceptable in my mind.)

As I said the biggest gap buying I have had since starting due to lack of incentive in promotions, both ap and items.

Latest offer of up to 50% bonus for my $50 this has dropped drastically to a measly 13% (not the 40% I was expecting)  

I am seeing this from my own personal point of view as a customer. In the real world if I am a customer of a company and purchase their products for a few years, if over a pretty short period of time, the discounts I have been receiving reduced from 50% to 40% then to 13% at the final low discount I would look elsewhere for a better deal. I cannot do this here as I must in effect purchase from you to use in game. I have no choice in the matter. The only choice I do have is whether to purchase or not.

Now as I said in my original post, as of course I understood that you increased the maximum amount to purchase, I accepted originally that my 50% went down to 40% (I had my businesswoman head on) I sucked this up so to speak. However it was when only a few months later there was a second reduction to 13% that I objected and felt personally let down as a customer. So two factors are the short space of time and two reductions, the second one being a big reduction.

Superman0X wrote:
Last month we had two bonus cash sales:

When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders. When we had the up to 35% @ 100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.

Superman most of those I spoke with including myself did not see it like this. It was not about advantages to big spenders it was more about smaller spenders losing what they had before to pay for this. My own post most definitely was about my personal loss, not big spenders gain. Also as you can see in this thread there are many suggestions to increase the big spenders discount, but just don't take away smaller spenders incentives in the process. See below:

xNightshadowx wrote:

I very much dislike that the bonus goes down more and more as you increase the max amt but instead of increasing the bonus for the max amt you lower the bonus for everything else.
I have been quite supportive the past few years but do feel more and more unhappy with how this is going as well. If I can't find AP cards I mostly just don't charge anymore.

I agree to a degree with this and other posts in this thread. If encouraging big spenders, give them bigger discounts. However the way it is working at the moment is, to put it very simply is taking from me to give to them. It should be about giving the big spenders extra incentive and not drastically taking away that incentive from the smaller customer.

If you wish to stagger rather than flat rate promos then I suggest

Higher than 50% bonus for maximum spenders

Stagger lower amounts reasonably so as not to affect long time smaller spenders too adversely. As I said if my regular $50 had gone slightly down from the 40% I might have been tempted (even though I already had a 10% reduction just a short few months before). I also might have been tempted to up my original max amount rule to $75 if the discount had been attractive to me.

I am not going to suggest exact amounts. As a business I think you get the gist of what is wanted here and can figure out for yourselves what is attractive and what isn't. Although some other players have suggested figures to play with.

I can only speak for myself really and I will be honest if things had been different, you would probably have had $100 at the very least from me by now. Depending on the incentives probably more. I am guessing by conversations I have had with others that many have felt the same. It may not be big but it all adds up.

As you yourself have indicated you would like to tempt and encourage smaller paying players to up their regular amount to spend at any one time. However to do this one must be very careful not to alienate them too much in the first place. Gentle persuasion versus bulldozing works a lot better. You have also indicated in other posts that you are not looking short term as a business. Remember those smaller customers could be bigger customers in the future, all depending on how you treat them now Wink

PS: Give me a good bonus soon, get Erraticrat to throw in a ladyluck bogo or two, and you may actually make me smile like so Very Happy:

crystalpink

Rank 5.1
crystalpink
PostedApr 22, 2011 5:22 am
Maybe, you guys can return the 50% bonus to the $100 AP purchase like before.
Also, make decent amount of bonuses for small AP purchases.

ghostwarrior01

Rank 0
ghostwarrior01
PostedApr 22, 2011 7:02 am
simple solution, just go back to say like 3 years ago and have a fun month rebate for up to like 5k or 10k ap? The bonus % of ap is nice but only for a few spenders. The fun month rebate of old worked for small and large spenders even if you spent $10 or $100 everyone had something to look forward to in the end. Those of us around in 07 and 08 when these took place had something to look forward to in the end and on the plus side for the company it kinda makes people spend just a little bit more if they know they will have that amount back to spend again. Just my thoughts on it.

LilianMcK

Rank 4
LilianMcK
PostedApr 22, 2011 7:44 am
ghostwarrior01 wrote:
simple solution, just go back to say like 3 years ago and have a fun month rebate for up to like 5k or 10k ap? The bonus % of ap is nice but only for a few spenders. The fun month rebate of old worked for small and large spenders even if you spent $10 or $100 everyone had something to look forward to in the end. Those of us around in 07 and 08 when these took place had something to look forward to in the end and on the plus side for the company it kinda makes people spend just a little bit more if they know they will have that amount back to spend again. Just my thoughts on it.  

Oh even less than 3 years ago. I remember those regular rebates we used to have being announced in game. Also loved the item ones, 50%, 75% and the lovely 100% ones. Was a great incentive to me and got the ball rolling on me starting to spend AP.

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
PostedApr 22, 2011 8:52 am

Re: RE: Feedback: Price Points and Bonus Cash

marksteele wrote:
so here's a rather novel idea, have a kind of bonus wheel. The more money your putting on the higher the base bonus starts.

IE if I put $5 on then I have a chance of getting a 5% to 20% bonus. However if I put $50 on then I have a chance to get a 10% to 30% bonus (or something like that). Heh I don't know why but I would find that a lot more appealing then with a set value system.  

You are saying that you are more comfortable with a random bonus than with a fixed bonus. That is something we can ask about.

Alti wrote:
Well I think that spending $300 dollars and u get extra stuff is fair. It's just the average player can't spend that. That's why players see this as "unfair".
The guy above me makes a good point..but again, the question drops down to how much are you willing to spend.
Should the money be spent all at once?
This would be a great thing If over the course of a month players could toss a few bucks here and there and be still rewarded for this.
For instance a $300 tiered event could be done from the first of the month to the last day of that particular month.
Day 1 I spend $45 dollars wait til the weekend get a few extra bucks off someone who owes me money add in $25 bucks. People do this anyways, Recall is needed for whatever reason... vanity items (once needed more often for that +15) ... stealers in the 25 pack is always nice to make an Aeria payment of $10.
Tiers expire.
Aeria could also send a friendly reminder (automated e-mail) saying what their balance is for that particular tier.
Hello, Aeria player (account name there) You're currently spending $235 for this month. You have a going tier to possibly reach at the $300 mark. Click <here> to reload your ap.
Honestly, players who are willing to toss down $300 bucks and still pay rent that much is pretty good for them.
In all fairness I think the tiers are good as is. Can I afford them when they come up? No.
Free physical items is always nice too. (enter to win-spend money)
shirts..keyboards..Aeria decal for the motorcycle..whichever--
Less automated more giddy-up and go. I have to say, when a global message is posted. I ignore it. It gets in my way of whatever I am doing or whoever I am pking and it's just spammed so much.
Used to be Tuesdays meant advertisement for Shaiya or PT.. last few minutes before maintenance.
Get to lvl 35 in Shaiya get yadayada in AP. Add these items to your quest to increase your exp gain! (whatever it is for shaiya I forget)
I remember a GM who used to "joke" the server..so many jokes unless we/sold (bought) X amount of an Item. Was annoying, but not a computer advertising go here.
The jokes were good, the foxes were funny.

Want us to spend money? Get some Game Masters in game that don't lag a server down with spawns at a random location and get our butts in the seats. Summer time is coming..do your best to keep us seated indoors.

I understand that it's money Aeria wants..but it's stuff we want. More stuff = more money forked out.
Do you think a GM is doing a good job?
Buy a GM a cup of Starbucks $3.50

I visit a site that has something similar. The site is completely free. It's educational. But up in the corner it says "Is (yadayada) doing a good job? Buy her a cup of coffee for $3 or a pot for $10
We don't get anything but the 'feel good' feeling.

Long story short: Is this normal business practices? Yes.
Is it fair? Yes.
Is it fair for everyone? No.
Would I recommend you change it? No. It's good.

I do think your/Aeria's Bonus Cash is good.

When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders. When we had the up to 35% @ 100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.  

you forgot your $ sign.  

You are saying that you are not comfortable with a sliding scale for single purchase, but that you ARE comfortable with a sliding scale for purchases made in the past 30 days (for example)

Koldar357 wrote:
Instead of just looking at the one time purchase, you might consider reviewing the recent history of the customer and basing the % on their combined purchases. If handled correctly, it could be a win, win, win situation. The company gives cane get more purchases with special incentives. Smaller or multi-one time buyers could get special promotions if they purchased more than the prior month. Large buyers could get the maximum bonus even on smaller purchases.  

Again, it looks like you dislike a 'per purchase' approach, but are ok with an 'over time' approach.

Iyeru wrote:
I think that there should be bonus sales on the prepaid cards to be honest.  

Prepaid cards are sometimes included in promotions. Our branded cards are not usually included because we already subsidize them with high bonus cash (20%).

tasherana wrote:
The major point for me is that 50% used be from a $100, now $100 gives 35%. You didn't think this would make people unhappy?
I don't mind if $200 gives more than $100, it's that your giving less and less as time goes by. Aeria used to give 100% once or twice a year but this hasn't happened for a long time.
Your long term costumers who would save for 100% events have now seen this max value keep going down; and now we have to spend more to get the lower max value.
This makes people unhappy, and unhappy people don't want to buy AP.  

I believe we also explained that at one time, $20 got you 100%. This doesn't make all lower % obsolete. We have learned from what has been successful, and have repeated those promotions. We will continue to do just that.... sorry.

xNightshadowx wrote:
So by increasing the limit to $300 what will that make the $50 and $100?
That is the problem - There used to be a time that buying AP in general gave a higher % back and there were flat-rate %30 and 50% reward pt sales - that come in 3 months.
As the years went by this % got less and less and the instant bonus gets less and less to the point that now charging with Paypal is not at all worth it to me anymore - I look for AP cards because the bonus is somewhat comparable to what it used to be but then there's still no decent reward AP anymore.

Paypal recurring is still nice but limits to 1 account and requires a min 4 month sign up.

If the bonus was back to how it used to be or there were more flat rate sales like 30% bonus for anything charged regardless of amt or tiered 30% bonus for anything up to $75 and then $75+ 50% bonus it would be nicer.  

The daily purchase limit was raised from $150 to $300 last year (or maybe 2009, I would have to check). Since doing that, the amount of AP purchased has increased, and we have increased the maximum single purchase to make this more convenient. The question is, how much of an advantage for a single purchase is something that you all (the players) will support. We would like to give more, but there is a perception of favoritism, so we are asking first.