Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
PostedApr 21, 2011 2:51 pm   Last edited by Superman0X on Apr 25, 2011 4:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Last month we had two bonus cash sales:

Up to 50% @ $200
Up to 35% @ $100

These were done in response to players request for additional bonus cash at different price points. The response (to both of these) was less than positive.

We are looking at how we scale the bonus cash %, based on the buy in price (in general) and would like some feedback/discussion.

Our basic premise (business model) is that larger single purchases have a higher value to us as a company, and should offer larger rewards to the customers that make them. As a company, a customer that buys $100 is a bigger (and generally better) customer than one that buys $20. We would like to provide an incentive for a customer to move to larger purchases. (Multiple/cumulative purchases are ignored as part of this discussion, as they are a different topic).

When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders. When we had the up to 35% @ $100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.

What we would like is some feedback about what price points are considered acceptable (We currently have a $300 a day limit, and are working towards that max as a possible single purchase), and what additional value for higher purchases is considered acceptable.

Thank you

Note: This will be a moderated thread, so if you go off topic too far, or make posts that do not fit this discussion, they may be edited/removed.

Advertisement

Anarchist69x

Rank 4
Anarchist69x
PostedApr 21, 2011 3:20 pm
Personally I like the 50% @ $200.00 it's an extra incentive to people that spend on a game they enjoy. Would like to see smaller purchases with an extra bit of bonus value such as $50.00 since that's even for lower income players. Although I do not spend that much any more it's for sure a huge benefit for both the individual and the company.

LadyBorderlinex

Rank 5
PostedApr 21, 2011 3:21 pm
Personally, I don't think I could afford 300$ in one day on anything unless it is an emergency or a major, budgetted purchase. I don't know how much of a bonus my input would be, but the lower quantities are more appealing to me. 25, 35, 50$.

If you want to attract the 300$ limit, then maybe a different promotion should be considered instead of the "up to x% bonus."

Although, thinking about it, 35% at 100$ bought until the limit sounds like more of a deal, but why would anyone need that much at that moment. Maybe a tiered AP buyer should be considered. Maybe a Bonus, Bonus Rewards points. I don't know.

In the real world, I don't see an "Up to X%" sale as a way to entice people to spend at cap.

Queen of Unnecessarily Long Youtube Videos Used To Report Multi-clienting

Alti

Rank 3
Alti
PostedApr 21, 2011 3:28 pm

When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders. When we had the up to 35% @ 100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.  

1. Players will always be upset. Nothing is ever good enough. Most players can't afford to go that high. So instead of a bonus back in money give 'em free items. Players need stuff to level, or train a pocket pet (baby pony, horse..etc)
For instance, If I was to spend $150 bucks-I would have to wait for the reward points for more AP that I wouldn't be out of pocket. After all people have bills, games shouldn't be a priority.
Players could get $50 = 5 HS+1 MP/HP extender.(Something that could pay out later--or something cooler.)--Not a tier. Tiers could be an extra incentive. For instance $30.00 (let's say to NOT meet a tier would earn you 5 HS but to make the tier of $50 or something would earn you the package + the heaven stones.)
Higher levels who spend the money for let's say Devil Runes to plus armor could be awarded 5 CSS for their noobs. We all have noobs.
My friend Alex for instance is allowed X amount of dollars per his gaming month.
So his mother only allows him to put about $5 down in ap. At his level that's good enough. A player like that could get a new pet color, spots or stripes..etc.

What we would like is some feedback about what price points are considered acceptable (We currently have a $300 a day limit, and are working towards that max as a possible single purchase), and what additional value for higher purchases is considered acceptable.  

$300 is more than enough, if a player desires more they have or are able to make a new account and get the first time buyer rewards.
( annoying? maybe. Safer for the buyer though)
Maybe smaller tiers for everyone. Smaller tiers to begin with ---better items.
I've seen the smaller tiers, and the larger tiers are much much much better.
I won't be running out to buy ap cards for the new p2 pet however. (that is the point though to push the larger tiers).

marksteele

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
marksteele
PostedApr 21, 2011 3:35 pm
I dislike the getting a bonus for larger AP purchases. Perhaps you should offer a global Tiered buyer event for all the games. Essentially like a Tiered spender event but it only works on one transaction and you have a choice as to what game you want your rewards in.

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
PostedApr 21, 2011 8:17 pm
LadyBorderlinex wrote:
Personally, I don't think I could afford 300$ in one day on anything unless it is an emergency or a major, budgetted purchase. I don't know how much of a bonus my input would be, but the lower quantities are more appealing to me. 25, 35, 50$.

If you want to attract the 300$ limit, then maybe a different promotion should be considered instead of the "up to x% bonus."

Although, thinking about it, 35% at 100$ bought until the limit sounds like more of a deal, but why would anyone need that much at that moment. Maybe a tiered AP buyer should be considered. Maybe a Bonus, Bonus Rewards points. I don't know.

In the real world, I don't see an "Up to X%" sale as a way to entice people to spend at cap.  

In the real world this is a volume discount. The more you spend, the less it cost per unit. This is a pretty common practice. However, in real life, there isn't a spending cap.

At this time, there are people that spend the $300 in a day, especially during Tiered Events and such. The only question is how much additional benefit should they get for spending $300.

Alti wrote:

When we had the up to 50% @ $200 sale, players were upset that this provided too much an advantage to larger spenders. When we had the up to 35% @ 100 sale, players were upset that this did not provide enough advantage.  

1. Players will always be upset. Nothing is ever good enough. Most players can't afford to go that high. So instead of a bonus back in money give 'em free items. Players need stuff to level, or train a pocket pet (baby pony, horse..etc)
For instance, If I was to spend $150 bucks-I would have to wait for the reward points for more AP that I wouldn't be out of pocket. After all people have bills, games shouldn't be a priority.
Players could get $50 = 5 HS+1 MP/HP extender.(Something that could pay out later--or something cooler.)--Not a tier. Tiers could be an extra incentive. For instance $30.00 (let's say to NOT meet a tier would earn you 5 HS but to make the tier of $50 or something would earn you the package + the heaven stones.)
Higher levels who spend the money for let's say Devil Runes to plus armor could be awarded 5 CSS for their noobs. We all have noobs.
My friend Alex for instance is allowed X amount of dollars per his gaming month.
So his mother only allows him to put about $5 down in ap. At his level that's good enough. A player like that could get a new pet color, spots or stripes..etc.

$300 is more than enough, if a player desires more they have or are able to make a new account and get the first time buyer rewards.
( annoying? maybe. Safer for the buyer though)
Maybe smaller tiers for everyone. Smaller tiers to begin with ---better items.
I've seen the smaller tiers, and the larger tiers are much much much better.
I won't be running out to buy ap cards for the new p2 pet however. (that is the point though to push the larger tiers).  

As a general rule, this is about AP, not items. We are looking at our normal business practices. We occasionally do cross promotions of this sort, but that is the exception because it is not very efficient.

marksteele

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
marksteele
PostedApr 21, 2011 8:23 pm
so here's a rather novel idea, have a kind of bonus wheel. The more money your putting on the higher the base bonus starts.

IE if I put $5 on then I have a chance of getting a 5% to 20% bonus. However if I put $50 on then I have a chance to get a 10% to 30% bonus (or something like that). Heh I don't know why but I would find that a lot more appealing then with a set value system.

Alti

Rank 3
Alti
PostedApr 21, 2011 8:29 pm
Well I think that spending $300 dollars and u get extra stuff is fair. It's just the average player can't spend that. That's why players see this as "unfair".
The guy above me makes a good point..but again, the question drops down to how much are you willing to spend.
Should the money be spent all at once?
This would be a great thing If over the course of a month players could toss a few bucks here and there and be still rewarded for this.
For instance a $300 tiered event could be done from the first of the month to the last day of that particular month.
Day 1 I spend $45 dollars wait til the weekend get a few extra bucks off someone who owes me money add in $25 bucks. People do this anyways, Recall is needed for whatever reason... vanity items (once needed more often for that +15) ... stealers in the 25 pack is always nice to make an Aeria payment of $10.
Tiers expire.
Aeria could also send a friendly reminder (automated e-mail) saying what their balance is for that particular tier.
Hello, Aeria player (account name there) You're currently spending $235 for this month. You have a going tier to possibly reach at the $300 mark. Click <here> to reload your ap.
Honestly, players who are willing to toss down $300 bucks and still pay rent that much is pretty good for them.
In all fairness I think the tiers are good as is. Can I afford them when they come up? No.
Free physical items is always nice too. (enter to win-spend money)
shirts..keyboards..Aeria decal for the motorcycle..whichever--
Less automated more giddy-up and go. I have to say, when a global message is posted. I ignore it. It gets in my way of whatever I am doing or whoever I am pking and it's just spammed so much.
Used to be Tuesdays meant advertisement for Shaiya or PT.. last few minutes before maintenance.
Get to lvl 35 in Shaiya get yadayada in AP. Add these items to your quest to increase your exp gain! (whatever it is for shaiya I forget)
I remember a GM who used to "joke" the server..so many jokes unless we/sold (bought) X amount of an Item. Was annoying, but not a computer advertising go here.
The jokes were good, the foxes were funny.

Want us to spend money? Get some Game Masters in game that don't lag a server down with spawns at a random location and get our butts in the seats. Summer time is coming..do your best to keep us seated indoors.

I understand that it's money Aeria wants..but it's stuff we want. More stuff = more money forked out.
Do you think a GM is doing a good job?
Buy a GM a cup of Starbucks $3.50

I visit a site that has something similar. The site is completely free. It's educational. But up in the corner it says "Is (yadayada) doing a good job? Buy her a cup of coffee for $3 or a pot for $10
We don't get anything but the 'feel good' feeling.

Long story short: Is this normal business practices? Yes.
Is it fair? Yes.
Is it fair for everyone? No.
Would I recommend you change it? No. It's good.

I do think your/Aeria's Bonus Cash is good.

you forgot your $ sign.

Koldar357

Rank 0
PostedApr 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Bonus Cash

Instead of just looking at the one time purchase, you might consider reviewing the recent history of the customer and basing the % on their combined purchases. If handled correctly, it could be a win, win, win situation. The company gives cane get more purchases with special incentives. Smaller or multi-one time buyers could get special promotions if they purchased more than the prior month. Large buyers could get the maximum bonus even on smaller purchases.

Iyeru

Rank 4
Iyeru
PostedApr 21, 2011 10:35 pm
I think that there should be bonus sales on the prepaid cards to be honest.