Author Message

Snowydew

Rank 5
Snowydew
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Posts
3458
Location
United States
PostedNov 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Constructive Critique

A Guide
I feel that the community needs to take a moment and reevaluate what they believe to be "constructive" criticism. This is not aimed at anyone and is mainly just a focus on what as well as how.

Preface:

Criticism is defined as the judgment of both merits and faults.

Though the word to "Critique" has a somewhat derogative feeling and is often associated with prejudice or disapproval, this is not necessarily the case. The true etymology of the word is the study, interpretation, or evaluation of something. Hence the goal of this type of Criticism is to understand and bring to light ideas and ideals.

Constructive Criticism or Analysis is a compassionate thing. It is meant to uplift and raise the bar for the person. It helps the person to better themselves by outlining the problem and maybe what they can do about it. But in order for this type of Criticism to be "Constructive" it must also that it must be "Healthy". By healthy, I mean non-abrasive and non-abusive with a civil tone and professional air.

Now that the definitions are done, A How To:

1. Make sure the point is valid, tangible, credible, and well founded before saying something.

2. Make sure your point is unbiased.
- That way your Critique is focused on real evidence, meaning concrete feedback, and not on personal taste etc. Otherwise it will lead to flaming and fighting about difference of Opinion. In the End, you want to give criticism that will offer a person (or company) potential improvement rather than just to satisfy a personal desire.

3. Make sure your point is relevant, clear, and easily understandable. Be Concise!
- Both receiving and giving Criticism can be stressful so don't make it worse on yourself or on another person. If you aren't clear you might end up arguing semantics and your main point will be null and void.

4. Do not forget to elaborate on how that person can make it better and what EXACTLY it is that needs improvement.
- For instance if you just say "I don't like it", you are inviting the other person to make a remark that is completely different from what you meant and will end up flaming (and the GMs/Mods locking your post).



Now, for some examples:

Bad way:
/No-support
This person is Dumb and mean!


Correct way:
/No-Support
This person has said incorrect things time and again in Trade Chat and the GSs and other players always need to correct him/her. They also tend to become volatile when faced with a difficult situation. When they learn more about the game and learn a little more patience, I think the person should try reapplying.



Summary:

People will always have a difference of opinion. Everyone can learn something from everyone else, be it newb or uber. But we must remember that we are dealing with other human beings and there is a certain decorum needed in the way we act and approach each other. Hopefully this post will help staunch some of the flaming. Just remember to keep your Critique civil, valid, understandable, supported, and unbiased it will be as good as a free Armor lapisia!

I really hope this doesn't cause any flaming in and of itself. <3
Advertisement

Vafx

Rank 3
Vafx
Joined
10 Sep 2010
Posts
1277
Location
Paris, France
PostedNov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Constructive Critique

A Guide
Snowydew wrote:
2. Make sure your point is unbiased.
- That way your Critique is focused on real evidence, meaning concrete feedback, and not on personal taste etc. Otherwise it will lead to flaming and fighting about difference of Opinion. In the End, you want to give criticism that will offer a person (or company) potential improvement rather than just to satisfy a personal desire.  

I don't think it is possible in the case of GS applications to be unbiased.
They don't have posted a list of specific criteria to define an "ideal" GS candidate; So your opinions on what "ideal" is will come in to play when you are making feedback, regardless of how much evidence you present. One person may view a screenshot and think a problem was dealt with professionally, while another may look at the same screenshot and think it was completely unprofessional and un-like a GS.
Or I may have misinterpreted what you meant here.
Like saying "He did _____ <insert evidence> and I found it offensive" vs. "This guy is offensive, I don't think he would make a good GS"...? o_o;

Snowydew

Rank 5
Snowydew
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Posts
3458
Location
United States
PostedNov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Constructive Critique

A Guide
Vafx wrote:
Snowydew wrote:
2. Make sure your point is unbiased.
- That way your Critique is focused on real evidence, meaning concrete feedback, and not on personal taste etc. Otherwise it will lead to flaming and fighting about difference of Opinion. In the End, you want to give criticism that will offer a person (or company) potential improvement rather than just to satisfy a personal desire.  

I don't think it is possible in the case of GS applications to be unbiased.  


What I meant here was to be objective in your critique as possible.

Vafx wrote:

They don't have posted a list of specific criteria to define an "ideal" GS candidate; So your opinions on what "ideal" is will come in to play when you are making feedback, regardless of how much evidence you present. One person may view a screenshot and think a problem was dealt with professionally, while another may look at the same screenshot and think it was completely unprofessional and un-like a GS.
Or I may have misinterpreted what you meant here.
Like saying "He did _____ <insert evidence> and I found it offensive" vs. "This guy is offensive, I don't think he would make a good GS"...? o_o;  


In this point Clarify why your point doesn't match your Ideal when dealing with GS applications.

I just wanted people to be objective and clear in their posts. Inserting a small bit of evidence for example:
Doesn't help much in trade or guild chat etc
is a better response than
This person doesn't help at all

and this therefore gives them something to work on to become a better Candidate.


In general this post was not only aimed at the GS applications and Feedback but to all feedback and posts on forums. <3

Clear, Concise, Objective views and posts I feel are the most instructive and helpful. <3

GuitarMaster501

Rank 1
GuitarMaster501
Joined
01 Apr 2010
Posts
321
Location
Above you United States
PostedDec 04, 2010 12:48 am
Lol just wanted to check out your thread. I think this proves that Shaiya playeres are more intellectual than WolfTeam players. Then again, I'm 139. XD

I wanna post everywhere in Shaiya forums with a wolfteam signature....

made by SnowyDew :3

merkzz_18

Rank 2
merkzz_18
Joined
19 Jun 2008
Posts
511
Location
Talladega United States
PostedDec 04, 2010 12:49 am
GuitarMaster501 wrote:
Lol just wanted to check out your thread. I think this proves that Shaiya playeres are more intellectual than WolfTeam players. Then again, I'm 139. XD

I wanna post everywhere in Shaiya forums with a wolfteam signature....  



o.O

Snowydew

Rank 5
Snowydew
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Posts
3458
Location
United States
PostedDec 04, 2010 1:14 am
Perfect Example!!!!!
boddhis wrote:

Quit with the random crap. You're all spamzors and trolls. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It would be in the best interest of everyone if we could all try to remain on topic. The OP has a valid point and we should all try to keep it in mind when we are discussing issues with people. Wink  


Red - Bad way of Constructive Critique
Green - Correct way of Constructive Critique

spiritualvoid92

Rank 2
spiritualvoid92
Joined
06 Apr 2009
Posts
711
Location
Ohio United States
PostedJan 07, 2011 12:54 pm
Great post Snowydew ^.~ i believe a lot of people needed this guidance ^.^ lmao...even if people don't use it, i know i will. my "critique" is often not very constructive xD so this will DEFIANTLY be one of my references.

DokterLekter

Rank 0
Joined
25 May 2010
Posts
81
Location
Seattle United States
PostedFeb 02, 2011 12:35 am
Wouldn't it be great if all games were as mature?
But people will be people. I'll do my best to constructively criticize (boy scouts honorz!)

Let's be friends on Facebook and Twitter!

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Posts
1394
Location
India
PostedFeb 02, 2011 1:43 am
I don't know about GS apps, but in general a person will give his input only if he can see that a change can happen. Constructive criticism has to be replied with proper actions (and not just words).

"This game is becoming a PvP game without PvP" - sora_emo

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Posts
15073
Location
Balegem, flemish region Belgium
PostedFeb 02, 2011 3:37 am
DokterLekter wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if all games were as mature?
But people will be people. I'll do my best to constructively criticize (boy scouts honorz!)  


that's a disadvantage on the web ... people likes to be immature on the web ... maybe they can't find or fill their ego in RL, and moves it on the internet Confused


anyways, i agree with morroc too

signature of xybolt
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: