I love the chance to have a private chat bound to my aeria account, it is very helpfull both for my trades and my GS work... anyway I don't like much this meebo bar since it is a bit invasive and expecially cause it looks bugged: turn offline every few minutes, people cannot see me available when I am... etc. I never had this ad problem the op described, but maybe it is cause I use ad-block...
Anyway I found a way to use meebo without the aeria bar, maybe others can be interessed in this solution.
- 1st go in your profile settings, go in preference and in preference and uncheck "Enable Meebo Bar" option; before to press submit copy your ID number that you can find in the url.
- Go to https://www.meebo.com/messenger , create an account and log in.
- In top-right of the page select Account, then add account, select Jabber and put as username you ID number for Aeria + @aeriagames.com and as password your aeria password.
- Now you can use this page as your chat for Aeria buddies, anyway we can still do something better
- If you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, you can install the meebo minibar going here http://www.meebo.com/download
Now you can use meebo webpage or meebo minibar to be in contact with Aerias buddies even if you are not logged on Aeria website.
I think this minibar is more elegant and less invasive, but you lose some of the features specific of Aeria bar, like the one-click access to browser game. If you prefer, don't disable Aeria bar in your settings, in this case you won't see the meebo minibar in Aeria pages (but you will see it in any other webpage).
It is possible to use meebo or/and meebo minibar to be in contact at same time also with facebook, msn, yim, google talk and some other instant messager or social network chat (you need to add other account in meebo webpage).