lewnaticon

Rank 0
lewnaticon
PostedApr 28, 2011 3:36 pm

What is Eden doing that's new in the slightest? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to playing it. But I haven't seen anything that I've not seen elsewhere amongst MMOs.  

I believe the IPDRTS said, 'Its difficult to make something totally new, but but there are some really promising features. I think the importance is to balance everything while combining all of the elements that make up an mmo.

~Lunatic

Advertisement

HeromanX

Rank 0
HeromanX
PostedApr 28, 2011 3:52 pm
MMOs anymore can't be about "what's new", it can only be about "what twist can we put on an old formula". Innovation is the factor here, since there's really nothing "new" in these cookie-cutter games.

And if one is not so keen on the innovation factor ("it's all the same, nothing new"), there's always the opportunity to start over in a new game with a clean slate. Sometimes that's the most exciting part about a new game - people who like to be competitive can now become competitive from the beginning instead of having to start behind everyone and staying behind.

To note, however, I think MMOs anymore can maybe pull new features and systems from older console RPGs. Some games like Dark Cloud for the PS2 would make great MMOs, but need either a refined or polished system and content that reflects an MMO-genre game. We already have DWO and MegaTen, both hosted by Aeria, but others could be adapted too, and certain others that have been attempted (*cough*Ys: Call of Solum*cough*) could be revived and re-marketed to a whole new user base. Heck, even Mega Man has an online game coming out in Korea.

Lord Master of the Dynasty guild!

IPDRTS

Rank 1
IPDRTS
PostedApr 28, 2011 4:13 pm
HeromanX wrote:

And if one is not so keen on the innovation factor ("it's all the same, nothing new"), there's always the opportunity to start over in a new game with a clean slate. Sometimes that's the most exciting part about a new game - people who like to be competitive can now become competitive from the beginning instead of having to start behind everyone and staying behind.

Well, this is mostly true for me, though it's not really because of being behind people, I think it's more the "new car smell" sort of deal. Though with MMO's just starting up, I will admit I like to be part of that pioneer group that has to figure everything out.

Walk with the shadows...

crystalpink

Rank 5.1
crystalpink
PostedApr 28, 2011 5:51 pm
Well, in general, I don't see KS being a duplicate of GF.
If the duplicate means the quest system, then I say yes, Eden Eternal also has similar quest system to Grand Fantasia.

Here are some similarities in quest system I found out so far:
- The book quests for reputation
- The items/drops that's clickable to give you the junk or the required item for quest
- Quests that gives you summoning items to summon the boss needed for the quest on Eden Eternal.

Oh, also the dungeon monster set-up is kinda similar to the ones on GF. There are groups of mobs here and there, who can agro you all together when you attack one of them (the only exception was some mobs in the dungeon can spawn out of the blue, giving you a surprise).

Other than the quest system and monster set-up in dungeon, I don't see any close similarities between EE and GF/KS.