Buckeye70

Rank 0
PostedMar 18, 2011 8:17 am   Last edited by Buckeye70 on Mar 18, 2011 9:20 am. Edited 1 time in total

How to stay alive in hi-lvl PvP??

So I've got a 70 UM Mage on Gaia and I'm really struggling to survive more than 1 or 2 hits in PvP...so I've got a few questions...

First of all, I'm not an AP buyer, so funds are rather limited. In the past (with 60+ quest gear) I'd lapis most gear with duals. I figured this wasnt gear I'd be using for that long, so why put a fortune into it, right?? Anyway with the old gear, I'd lapis two dual mystics (INT/REC & INT/WIS), two dual wise (WIS/Resist & WIS/defense) and the same for REC and LUC where I could put them (gaunts not being able to use LUC lapis etc.) So the gear was relatively cheap to make, but had my defense around 500 and resist over 1000.

Now I'm finally getting dreamy (Decoris is a far away dream ATM), and I figure it's time to stop with the duals, and step it up. I'm slowly saving up for 6's (again not able to afford 7's) but although I'm enjoying the orange stats that Dreamy gives me, I'm WAY down on Defense and Resist. Now I'm even squishier than I used to be, even with the added HP.

Also, a question about enchants...when I get hit for 3000-5000k by the average Fury, what good is 200 absorb gonna help me (assuming I get four armor pieces to [5] each)? Am I figuring this incorrectly?

I saw someone post SS of their gear on the forums recently (I think it was Chewie) and he was rockin' 37,000 HP and it almost made me sick. There's no way I can compete with that--with the life7's, +75 absorb, mystic & safe 7's. Beautiful gear, but way out of my price range.

A few build/gear notes...
- Full INT Mage, but could/will restat. i was thinking about INT/LUC, but not sure how that's work for pvp. I know INT/REC would help, but I don't know if I have enough points to make it worthwhile.
- only 3000+ kills in PvP, so not many points there to help.
- lvl 54 cape, Santa hat (two dual mystics, dual fortune & safe), Dread necklace (mental 4,5--two slots open for??), Two Heroic loops (lvl 3,4,5 mental in each), and two Valentine rings (decent OJ, & lvl 4 mental in each)

Any suggestions??

So what do you other cash-strapped mages do?
Advertisement

Althamus

Rank 5
Althamus
PostedMar 18, 2011 8:30 am
Enchants you're correct don't do much alone at this level. Most people with the cash to spare tend to enchant their armour to [5] probably because a) it's a nice round number, b) isn't too hard, and c) every little helps.
Although you're right, unless you have absorb lapis or absorb aura running, 200 absorb by itself does little.

Annoyingly, getting good gear is harder to grind/farm for thesedays, and seems to require you to pay IRL money for it. At this stage of the game, it's gonna be tough to lapis your gear up without paying IRL money in some shape or form (but you knew that xP).

Also, lapis your dreamy nicely and assume you'll be wearing it for at least a year IMHO. Decoris is cheaper than it was, but if you're not an AP buyer, it'll be impractical for you to buy it until at LEAST the L70 gear comes out, and probably until long after that. But again, you knew that Razz.

I'm afraid I can't suggest much. Rec and Luc are way more expensive than Int or Wis, so lapis as much of the Int/Wis you need into your armour, and get as much rec/luc in your base stats/PvP stats as you can.
Work out how much of each stat you'll want in advance and plan how you'll reach that total.
Grab a helmet and stick a few Wit and dual lapis in it, it's a nice place to build up your resist since Wit goes only in there, and on your budget you'll probably want to link the rest of the slots with duals.

Consider Absorb L5s. They're a chunk more expensive than normal L6s, but considering you need to buy a very expensive OP hammer for any of these lapis you want to link, the price increase isn't so painful. And one of these is like enchanting one piece of gear to [5] by itself.

I'd suggest making sure you have enough defence/absorb first, and then build up your Int as a secondary concern, on the grounds that when dead you can't damage at all, but if your damage is low you can still be useful (AR, root, slows etc). Having said that, I'm coming from two rec priests as my last two PvP chars, so I might be biased Razz

Buckeye70

Rank 0
PostedMar 18, 2011 9:47 am
Althamus wrote:
Enchants you're correct don't do much alone at this level. Most people with the cash to spare tend to enchant their armour to [5] probably because a) it's a nice round number, b) isn't too hard, and c) every little helps.
Although you're right, unless you have absorb lapis or absorb aura running, 200 absorb by itself does little.

Annoyingly, getting good gear is harder to grind/farm for thesedays, and seems to require you to pay IRL money for it. At this stage of the game, it's gonna be tough to lapis your gear up without paying IRL money in some shape or form (but you knew that xP).

Also, lapis your dreamy nicely and assume you'll be wearing it for at least a year IMHO. Decoris is cheaper than it was, but if you're not an AP buyer, it'll be impractical for you to buy it until at LEAST the L70 gear comes out, and probably until long after that. But again, you knew that Razz.

I'm afraid I can't suggest much. Rec and Luc are way more expensive than Int or Wis, so lapis as much of the Int/Wis you need into your armour, and get as much rec/luc in your base stats/PvP stats as you can.
Work out how much of each stat you'll want in advance and plan how you'll reach that total.
Grab a helmet and stick a few Wit and dual lapis in it, it's a nice place to build up your resist since Wit goes only in there, and on your budget you'll probably want to link the rest of the slots with duals.

Consider Absorb L5s. They're a chunk more expensive than normal L6s, but considering you need to buy a very expensive OP hammer for any of these lapis you want to link, the price increase isn't so painful. And one of these is like enchanting one piece of gear to [5] by itself.

I'd suggest making sure you have enough defence/absorb first, and then build up your Int as a secondary concern, on the grounds that when dead you can't damage at all, but if your damage is low you can still be useful (AR, root, slows etc). Having said that, I'm coming from two rec priests as my last two PvP chars, so I might be biased Razz  

Ya, I knew it'd be expensive....just not THIS expensive...lol.
I just spent 5 OP on dreamy pants, and 4 OP on a new conti...now I'm poor again. ugh.

Checked my toon, and here the nuts & bolts without buffs:
STR 7+44
REC 9+144
INT 658+296
WIS 12+250
DEX 13+43
LUC 72+204

ATK 376-397 MAG 1591-1612
DEF 358 RESIST 1016

You suggest I put stat points into REC/LUC because they are the more expensive lapis, but if I remember correctly, there are two Dual Safe that have bonuses, two Wise, and one Fotune. That's what I have in my gear now really (except the dual Mystics).

I've got around 200 base LUC (without OJ) on my gear, so getting to 475 shouldn't be too hard. What should I shoot for as far as REC? I know it takes a ton to make it worthwhile.

The thing is, I'm not efficient as a duo in Kanos or even OI to get cash to improve my gear. I solo SC a lot and can get about a billion in a day pretty easily. But it's still slow gearing up when you have to plan on a lot of lapis breakage.

In the back of my mind, I've been planning on absorb 5's...and yeah, they are expensive, but I guess that's the way to go.

Thanks for the help man....I'm gonna give this guy a little more work before I make a Defender. I'm tired of being squishy.

Althamus

Rank 5
Althamus
PostedMar 18, 2011 10:23 am
Buckeye70 wrote:
Checked my toon, and here the nuts & bolts without buffs:
STR 7+44
REC 9+144
INT 658+296
WIS 12+250
DEX 13+43
LUC 72+204

DEF 358 RESIST 1016  

You can probably reduce your Wis a bit... it's rare in PvP you'll be in a raid without a priest who can prayer you, which'll give another 120 Wis? And you probably only need 200(?) Wis tops (for magical accuracy, you'll mostly be targetting people with low Wis so won't need much to hit. Anyone with high Wis you'll do low damage against anyways, so no point in taking lots of Wis to be able to hit them).

Also, AFAIK Resist reduces magical damage you take by 2, compared to defence reducing it by 1. Therefore you'll reduce damage taken from a pagan by about 2000, and damage taken from a warrior by about 350 atm. I'd suggest calculating how much resist you can get in a helm, then quite possibly leaving it at that.

You suggest I put stat points into REC/LUC because they are the more expensive lapis, but if I remember correctly, there are two Dual Safe that have bonuses, two Wise, and one Fotune. That's what I have in my gear now really (except the dual Mystics).  

If you're branching out to L6s and equivelent, and want to make the best armour possible money no object, you're looking at something like a L6 Mystic, Safe, Fortune, L5 Absorb in each piece. Maybe 1-2 L6 Wise, depending on how much Wis you have from yellow/orange stats. After that, I was meaning it might be cheaper to lapis L5/dual Int rather than L5/dual rec for example.

Thanks for the help man....I'm gonna give this guy a little more work before I make a Defender. I'm tired of being squishy.  

Contemplate a priest. You can use roughly the same armour (ideally it'd be lapised a little differently but still), and most priests inherently go full rec or near enough when PvPing and still are very useful with the new bonuses to healing. I'm almost a L63 priest with duals/L5s linked, and the ubers burn right through me, but the non-ubers have varying amounts of delay to kill me (depending on how non-uber they are ofc).

chewie105

Rank 3
chewie105
PostedMar 27, 2011 9:37 pm   Last edited by chewie105 on Apr 06, 2011 3:23 am. Edited 1 time in total
Buckeye70 wrote:
STR 7+44
REC 9+144
INT 658+296
WIS 12+250
DEX 13+43
LUC 72+204

DEF 358 RESIST 1016

[+]450 absorption total

* i want to compare stats and how you can do to make yourself less squishy. try not to build up to this as this is the max or possibly one of the best rec/tank mage decoris gear. it works extremely well in the case of defence as well as offence.

problem
- your defence is extremely low being at 350 defence only
- your attack power is moderate
- get's kill too fast
- 276 luc total isnt enough to be considered a luc build

solution
- have you considered being in an end game guild and earning DKP to link ele II?
- give up your atk power and in exchange focus on defence
- aim for 475+ luc

what i most often tell other mages when they asked me how do i survive from hunters / warriors?. simple answer is perpahs too much int and not enough defence. although it's true that there's never enough int, you should try to maximize it and be able to have a pretty good defence as well. what i mean by this is, if you can afford 1000 stats into INT, and only 300 stats in REC, then you should settle for less INT and get more REC.

i.e: 1000 REC , 300 INT (visa-versa)

here's the recomended build that you try out for your current stats:

Code:
271 + 204 LUC
84 + 296  INT
574 + 144 REC
12 + 250 WIS
844 - 865 magic atk power
718 def
1016 resist

although it's not much, it'll help alot. try this to see how you like it

chewie105

Rank 3
chewie105
PostedMar 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: How to stay alive in hi-lvl PvP??

Buckeye70 wrote:
A few build/gear notes...
- Full INT Mage, but could/will restat. i was thinking about INT/LUC, but not sure how that's work for pvp. I know INT/REC would help, but I don't know if I have enough points to make it worthwhile.
- only 3000+ kills in PvP, so not many points there to help.
- lvl 54 cape, Santa hat (two dual mystics, dual fortune & safe), Dread necklace (mental 4,5--two slots open for??), Two Heroic loops (lvl 3,4,5 mental in each), and two Valentine rings (decent OJ, & lvl 4 mental in each)

Any suggestions??

So what do you other cash-strapped mages do?  

1. linked SP 4-5 into the missing slots in your accessories, although they may not seem much, it really helps if you're using diversion. converts sp into MP
2. you have enough stats, just that you wont hit hard if you decide to ever go REC/LUC

Buckeye70

Rank 0
PostedApr 01, 2011 3:51 pm
Thanks for your help all...A few notes.

- I started adding that LUC too late to be a full LUC mage. Mistake on my part.

- The reason I have all the WIS that I do have is because I specifically selected any Dual Lapis with Resist or Defense Bonuses--and I was lapising as cheaply as I could. I know that +250 is too much, but I don't know that replacing that with a bit of REC would have helped that much.

-My concerns now are that if I restat to more REC, then I won't be useful ANYWHERE else. I might survive, but I still won't be able to duo in Kanos or even OI. If I go all out INT, then i'll keep getting killed by Furies. Between the skills I have to chose from (pvp vs. pve) there aren't enough skill points OR stat points to go around.

- I just joined a new guild that does end-game stuff. We'll see how that goes.

- I still haven't reskilled or restatted...I'm waiting to get Dreamy boots. Once I get those, I'll work on my stats.

A question for you, Chewie..I saw your gear in another thread (super nice man...really). Actually that's what made me question my gear in the first place (and seriously think about quitting). But I see that you have bas REC 630 as and base INT as 222. How do you get that many stat points? Are you buffed in that pic?

Again thanks for the help. I'll keep you all updated on how i'm surviving.

tiamats4esgares

Rank 4
tiamats4esgares
PostedApr 06, 2011 2:51 am
-Enchanting 4 peices to [5] each is 100 damage absorption, not 200. You should get a Legendary Anor Helmet and enchant it to [5]. It's not uber expensive. Also, consider linking it with Wit because it gives much more resistance than WIS.

-If you can't afford to have INT/REC/LUC, just do INT/REC. Forget LUC.

-I agree with Chewie that you should put Vigor lapis into your dread neckalce for now. Not for Diversion, but for potential motive, mana slug (I think mages get that right?), etc.

-What type of weapon do you have? Just curious. I'd use a Rage of the Sun if I were you. I saw some pretty nice ones in Etain's AH *coughCHEWIEcough* for under 2bill. Link with Assault 5, Mystic 5, Dual Mystic w/ REC, Dual Safe w/ maximum attack power (VERY cheap), and 2 other things to your liking.

-Oh, and as suggested previously...don't use WIS lapis. Get resistance other ways. You should have enough for accuracy from prayer unless you're soloing and in SC I don't think you have anything to worry about (white mobs are easy to hit). Find other cheap lapis to use if you want, or save a slot for slightly less cheap ones.

-Your gear is linked with Fortune...just take them out. Really, you don't have the stat points for a LUC build.

-I back up Althamus' suggestion to try a priest (instead of defender). It's also the best class for farming, especially if you need the money. Razz REC priests are fine to heal most people in Stigma, KI, etc. and be UM for KI because people won't take you if you are HM (no EB 3). Your mage could also get all REC/defense from gear (no INT) and you could share gear with the priest.

-I'm only level 67 and I've been farming OI since at least level 63 as the tank and only DPS (duo with a priest) and I have gear not much better than yours...however...I've been playing much less and a friend is borrowing my gear. The gear I used the LAST time I farmed OI sucked (I had a legendary anor helmet and dreamy medicus pants both nicely linked enchanted to [5], but my other 3 pieces weren't enchanted and 1 wasn't linked. Legend ophiston, heroic wilarin, and heroic sephiroth. I had 50 total damage absorption, and significantly less REC than you), and I still did fine with a level 56 HM priest healing me. I think you could do it. Have you tried? I can go with even low level priests (like, under 55) and be fine but if you want go ahead and see if a level 70 priest will go with you. You're level 70, so I'm sure someone would try. Maybe ask a guildie. Don't sell yourself short without trying. You have more defense than me (when you gave your stats, that's without Body Protector, right?) so I don't see why you couldn't tank just fine. Just make sure you have ele skin, body protector, prayer, an AOP at all times and you'll be good.

BTW, nice stats Chewie...

chewie105

Rank 3
chewie105
PostedApr 06, 2011 3:21 am
tiamats4esgares wrote:

-What type of weapon do you have? Just curious. I'd use a Rage of the Sun if I were you. I saw some pretty nice ones in Etain's AH *coughCHEWIEcough* for under 2bill. Link with Assault 5, Mystic 5, Dual Mystic w/ REC, Dual Safe w/ maximum attack power (VERY cheap), and 2 other things to your liking.

BTW, nice stats Chewie...  

these are my current daggers