Queenie18

Rank 0
Queenie18
PostedOct 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Numb, so very numb

A story of how Shaiya saved my life...Kinda
It was the summer of 2008 and I had abandoned everything I held dear to live a life in the city. Well, as I discovered, summer is the worst possible time to move to Los Angeles, especially in a room with absolutely no AC, and only an oscillating fan merely stirring the air around you.
My roommate was... tolerable at best. The best part about living with him was he agreed to pay my rent until I got a job. It pretty much afforded me time to sit around and do nothing, aka looking for a way out of that Hard hole.
One day while on Facebook playing another one of their stupid games to pass the time I saw an ad for an MMO that had beautiful character design and low enough specs for my laptop. I followed the link, and soon after had downloaded Shaiya. I started playing casually, especially when I wanted to block out the sexual advances of my roommate. |shudder|
With every day melding one into the other, with only the excruciating heat and a guy steadily getting on my nerves Shaiya was the only thing to keep me sane. I started to play non-stop, even though it would often make my laptop overheat and crash, I just kept going. I try to repress my memories of that time but the only thing that stands out clearly is Shaiya. However, the day I found out I was finally able to go home I stopped playing. I think I tried playing once when I was moved back in but it never held the same appeal.
It's now two years, and a month after that day and even though it's hard to think about that time I spent away from home I believe it's time for me to re-enter this game that honestly kept me from killing myself out of severe depression.

(I don't care about comments or replies really. I just wanted to share this somewhere especially for people that may feel the same way.)
Advertisement

Sangfroidation

Rank 1
Sangfroidation
PostedOct 13, 2010 10:52 pm
Maybe not so much life-saving for me, but mmo's are definitely a great place for an alternate reality when real life is depressing. It's great that it saved you from depressing but it's also important to realise when it turns into an addiction that eats your life away.

Good that your life's turned around, though I hope you getting back into Shaiya doesn't mean you're in a dark place again. :/

<p></p> <br>http://www.youtube.com/sangfroidation</br>

Queenie18

Rank 0
Queenie18
PostedOct 16, 2010 3:50 pm
Yeah I don't think I could ever get addicted, because I often get bored with some MMOs, and then just move onto another one. That never seemed to happen with Shaiya. Until that one day when I just didn't feel like playing anymore.

And no I'm not slipping back into depression. Life is going a'okay. :3