I downloaded USA_61212 version. It installed without any problems. I created an account on a webpage. I ran the game. It patched without any problems. And now...
Every time I try to login, it says "Failed to connect to login server".
And before you suggest I should disable firewall, I assure that:
1. I use correct login/pass.
2. I disabled firewall
3. I don't use a router and I am not behind NAT or external firewall
4. I use W98, so the "admin rights" solution does not apply
5. I disabled PeerGuardian
6. Admins of my network do not block anything
7. My Internet connection is working well
8. I have this problem from the beginning (I never logged in)
9. I have this problem since 2 days, so it's not a "server maintenance" issue
10. I did not forgot about disabling any program that could limit my network access
11. I use USA_61212 version
12. I searched the forum for the answer, but found only "server down", "firewall", "network problems", "USA version" and "peerguardian" solutions. And a great number of UNASWERED posts with such a problem, where the users claimed any of the above did not help.
And one important thing:
Each time I try to login, I get the "Failed to connect to login server" error IMMEDIATELY. My network activity log says that each time I try to connect nksp.exe is connecting to the DNS server (successfully) and then IT DOES NOTHING ELSE.
Let me say it once more:
nksp.exe DOES NOT EVEN TRY TO CONNECT ANYWHERE ELSE THAN TO THE DNS SERVER.
As far as my computer knowledge goes, this is a proof that the problem is on the nksp.exe side and is not related to my Internet access (or lack thereof).
I will be happy to answer all the additional questions that would help somebody diagnose the problem. But I have one small request - please do not ask questions that I already answered above. That is - read my post carefully. Thank you in advance.