kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedFeb 03, 2010 5:01 pm   Last edited by kikix12 on Feb 03, 2010 5:08 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Forum Guide

Grand Fantasia Section
Introduction:
Hello. Some of you possibly know me already from somewhere, others do not. I'm a former, pretty much, Shaiya player. Currently I don't really play anything at all though. I'm a person with weird personality. Also very erratic to boot. I just love arguments given to back up ones own opinions, which may result in my responses to be quite aggressive on occasions to posts that blame something on someone, while they are unable to give direct reasons for that blame.

That being said, I'm not good at introductions and other stuff like that, so I'll just say more about what you'll find in this thread.

This thread is made on the base of this one (and that's the reason for it reaching General Gameplay section, as that's where a GM moved the Shaiya section one).

Both threads (Shaiya section and this one) are just added game-specific parts of this forum guide.

Below I will write about the specific sections first as an overview and later in greater detail, giving suggestions as to posting some types of threads. Before that, first, credits to those without whom this thread would not come to life.

kikix12 wrote:
Credits:
There are people without which this couldn't be born. With no specific order:

hypnos34
Avyn
Theaitetos
natedog74  

I am open to both positive and negative critique, as long as its argumented. It's very possible there is something I should mention, or something I made an error on, so I do hope that you will help me by pointing those out.

PS: Everything below is based on my opinion and understanding of this forum.

/ Mod Edit / - Sticky Added.
Advertisement

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedFeb 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Chapter 1: Overview of Sections

General
      Promotions
        This section is made for official promotions. Threads about new item release also end here after few days of staying in General Discussion Announcement section. Although the possibility is given, it still shouldn't be posted in by standard players.

Official Events
        Thread for official events that do not need AP for participation. Old maintenance threads land here as well. You can't make new threads or edit your posts in this section.

General Discussion
        The main section of the forum. Basically everything that does not fit a different section of the forum lands here. Also some of the official events and promotions are announced here before they are sent to their respective sections.

This section is NOT for suggesting new updates, events, promotions. This section is NOT for funny screenshots or community games (which should have place in Odds and Ends section of Aeria main forum. This section is NOT for questions regarding gameplay or technical issues.
        Last, but not least, this section is NOT for "Goodbye" threads. All such threads will be moved to community general forum.

Before posting in this section, make sure to find out what other sections are made for. If you think that your thread would be better off in a different one, post it there. If it have no other place, post it in this section, General Discussion.

Server Activities
      Barter Sub-sections
        Barter subsections (for each server one) are for posting of offers to sell or buy items. They can also be used when the poster is looking for information on items price on the server.

Guilds Sub-sections
        If you look for a guild, want to make a new one or just look for more members to your own guild, post in one of the guild sub-sections (depending on your server). Remember that making any false affiliations with any person or group is against rules.

For the ease of browsing, please include the type of thread (new guild, looking for guild, looking for members) in the topic, with possibly more information in description (for example, modes/lvls/classes of characters for which you look for a guild).

Event/PvP Sub-sections
        Non-official events (player-made), as well as PvP discussions should be taken to these sub-sections applicable depending on the range of servers it's posted for.

Do remember that unless there's enough man-power to hold the same event at the same time on multiple servers, you probably will have to change times in the different servers.

Alice

Alice Barter
          If you look for a buyer or seller on Alice, you should go here. That being said, all transaction-related threads that apply for Alice should be put here.

Alice Guild
          All guild-related threads that apply to Alice server should be put here, whether you look for a guild, for new members or want to create a new one.

Alice Player Events/PvP

Siropas

Siropas Barter
          If you look for a buyer or seller on Siropas, you should go here. That being said, all transaction-related threads that apply for Siropas should be put here.

Siropas Guild
          All guild-related threads that apply to Siropas server should be put here, whether you look for a guild, for new members or want to create a new one.

Siropas Player Events/PvP

Self Help
      Self help is a locked forum. Each section is made for a different type of content.

Technical Issues
        This section is for all types of technical issues. This is NOT for bug issues. If you see no NPC's, that's a technical issue. If you get stuck in some places, that's a bug.
        Please do not hi-jack other threads. Regardless of someones issue being similar, always make your own thread. You can, off course, try solutions given to those with similar problems beforehand.

General Gameplay
        All questions that are not specific to a single class should be here. This includes (but is not limited to) quest help, mob location, mechanic question, item drop location (although class specific items, like armors and weapons, can be posted in the class specific sections as well), various guides and every thread that is pointing towards more than one class (for example, advice on what class is better to choose between two or more options or comparisons).

Class Guide/Information
        Class Guide/Information is a locked section. Members are supposed to post in the sub-sections related to their classes of interest.

Novice/General
          Novice/General specific section. All questions and threads that do not involve general topics but do involve only Novice or all classes should be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to skill questions, Novice or general class guides or Novice weapon/armor topics.

Archer/Ranger/Assassin
          Archer/ranger/assassin specific section. All questions and threads that do not involve general topics but do involve only archer/ranger/assassin class should be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, skill questions, archer/ranger/assassin guides or archer/ranger/assassin weapon/armor topics.

Mage/Wizard/Necromancer
          Mage/wizard/necromancer specific section. All questions and threads that do not involve general topics but do involve only mage/wizard/necromancer class should be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, skill questions, mage/wizard/necromancer guides or mage/wizard/necromancer weapon/armor topics.

Warrior/Beserker/Paladin
          Warrior/beserker/paladin specific section. All questions and threads that do not involve general topics but do involve only warrior/beserker/paladin class should be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, skill questions, warrior/beserker/paladin guides or warrior/beserker/paladin weapon/armor topics.

Priest/Cleric/Sage
          Priest/cleric/sage specific section. All questions and threads that do not involve general topics but do involve only priest/cleric/sage class should be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, skill questions, priest/cleric/sage guides or priest/cleric/sage weapon/armor topics.

Suggestions
        Suggestions is a locked section. Members are supposed to post in the sub-section dependent on whether the developer is needed for the change or publisher.

Event Suggestions
          This section is for all publisher-related suggestions. If code is left intact with the suggestion, it should be here. This pretty much includes only events, so that's where the name came from.

Game Play/Content Suggestions
          This section is for all developer-related suggestions. If the code of the game must be changed, it means the suggestion should be here.

Reporting
        This is a closed section. You are supposed to post in the sub-sections. This includes all manners of reports that you could post on forums. Do remember that some should never be posted and instead tickets should be the only thing used for those. Even those that technically can be posted here, need to have corresponding tickets sent for action to be taken regarding them.

Bugs
          This forum is to discuss about issues in the game code (items vanishing, graphics overlapping in some spots, skills not working as per description etc). NEVER post bugs and errors that can be used for any type of advantage (like "solid" areas that can be crossed, or means of using skill to remove its recharge, for example).

This section is NOT actual report. To report any type of bugs, a ticket must be sent.

Behavior
          This section is to discuss problems related to behavior of players for example to warn about scammers. Please refrain from connecting any type of behavior to any group (like guilds, volunteers etc). If you must specify who did act in such a way, always use specific names followed by a proof.

Posting in this section is NOT actual report. To report someone, always send a ticket.

Creative
      Creative section is a locked forum. Under it there are four sections, each made for a different type of content.
      NOTE: As by the ToS (Terms of Service), all content posted on the forum (which is especially important for the creative section of it) can be used by Aeria in any manner they do wish. This includes using them for promotions or distribution. Poster of such content gives Aeria the right to do so whenever he/she posts it.

Fan Art
        All types of art made by player should be here. This includes both self-drawn art, as well as signatures made from ready images. Remember that using any word that is normally filtered is still against rules if used in the image.

Video/Music
        All video and music media made by the poster should be posted here. Please remember that using any word that would normally be filtered is still off-limits in these videos and music.

Screen Shots
        All screenshots made within the game should be posted here. If the topic is wholly around a screenshot, this is the place to post it. If the screenshot is just a part of the topic, then such thread should be in a different section. If a person in the screenshot was vulgar or in any other way was misbehaving clearly, this screenshot can be used by someone to file a report.

Stories/Writing/Fan Fiction
        All self-made stories or poems revolving around characters from the world of Grand Fantasia have their place here. If you post your own work, please do NOT do that in someone elses thread, but make your own.

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedFeb 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Chapter 2: More In-Depth Look

General Advices

1) Titles:
    These come from general forum guide to which link is in the first post of this thread.

kikix12 wrote:
    First of all, titles need to say what hides behind them. If you need help on finding goblins on a map, don't use "Help plz" as title. Write "Need help on finding goblins." Is it longer?! Yes. But on the other hand if I don't know the answer, I can skip it. If I'll ever browse for "unfinished" threads in which I took part, I'll be able to find out which is which only by looking at title.
    Also, some people simply skip threads whose titles don't give them knowledge whether what is inside interests them.

Second, try to use description for more complex topics. If these goblins are for quest on map 1, but appear only once a day, and near to them there are couple different types of goblins, then title is not enough. On the other hand you can write in the subtitle (with the above title) "I mean the map 1, one day spawn quest goblins."

Third, short and sweet. Don't use what you don't have to use. No one will be interested that you hate the quest, as far as the topic goes, so don't write "Need help on finding these stupid quest goblins". If you really feel the need for that, add it in the post itself. The less words you use, the better.  

2) Messages:
    There are more advices in the general forum guide. Also, they are explained there further.

1. Please don't use all-caps. These are seen as "shouting" and are deemed rude on majority of occassions.
    2. Please don't use wall of text. Use proper punctuation and "Enter" button.
    3. Please don't attack any specific person or group. If possible, do not use any guilds name. NEVER use guilds name in addition to a persons name. Each person is a separate entity and his actions are his alone.
    4. Please make use of the available format tags, but refrain from abuse of them (especially the color and size tags).

Important Rule: Necroing
Necroing is basically posting in a thread that was not active (no one posted in it) for an extended amount of time, or if it served its purpose already.
NOTE: There is no specific time the thread must be "inactive". Basically if the thread is older than a week or two, if you have nothing to add, don't post in it.
  1. Never post in old threads that are made as questions. Those that made them, more than likely already got the answer or are no longer playing.
  2. Don't post in old signature/avatar/background making service threads. There is likely a reason they are dead. Before posting, first send a PM or a comment to the person offering his service to check whether it's still valid.
  3. Don't post in old guides if there is a good replacement stickied already. If they were taken down or never stickied, chances are there are many errors or they simply were no longer needed.
  4. If the thread is of "discussion" nature and you think that the discussion is still valid and that you can add something to it, then you could post. Things like "I think it's a great idea" are not adding something valuable to the thread. Either way remember that time could bring change to the discussion, so take that into consideration.
  5. Never bump old threads, no matter how good they seem to you. If you want to bring them up as they are, add something constructive. If threads still serve purpose, they more than likely wouldn't be locked and they can get a "second life", but if you can't add something to them, assume that others can't either.
  6. Always check the date of first and last post in a thread when you are linked to it. Often people are linked to threads that are old and no longer active, as a reference, but then they needlessly necro them because they didn't look at the date.

Barter Board:
Please keep in mind that the content of this part are strictly my opinion.

1) Titles and Subtitles:
    In barter board, it's especially important to notify the viewers of the content of the post. If you sell only one or two items, please give their full, proper names. Similarly, if you sell a group of items, if possible, generalise the topic as much as you can.
    Examples: "Selling Mana Messenger", "Selling lvl50 Yellow Weapons" or "Selling Orange Berserker Armors".

If you sell items by groups, if possible, give further description of the content in the sub-title of thread. That will allow to find the proper threads sooner.
    Examples: "Weapons available are for Berserker/Paladin and Archer tree." or "Item requirements are between lvl45 and 60."

Furthermore, I advice using tags. This even further allow to find what you are looking for. Add the tag before the topic.
    Tags I advice to use are:
      [Auction]: This consists of majority of threads currently. Whenever players are to offer a price, it's nothing more than auction, that will end when the seller/buyer will get a satisfying one, or after specific time-frame given by the poster.
      [Shop]: Some have many items and don't want offer flood. Others want to have a specific price. If there is no offering, but simply a fixed amount, then this is like a shop. This does not mean it have more than one item for sale.
      [Closed]: Many posters either don't ever use it (often making a last post saying that auction is closed or doing nothing), some don't do anything, while others change the whole topic to "Closed". Neither of these is good.
        Post: If the information is by post only, then the thread was opened without need and time was wasted. Also, some don't read posts other than the first, and may not see it.
        Nothing: This is obviously the worst way. It results in major waste of time when someone waits for response from the maker of the thread, when he simply won't get any due to the offer not being available anymore.
        Removing Title: This is the least obvious, but still important. Some look at barter board for prices of items. If a thread is closed but it's title and message were removed, then it serves no further purpose. If such thread was left alone though, with only the tag [Closed], then the thread itself still may serve evaluation purpose.

2) Message:
    Second important part is message. There are few things that should or may appear in it.
    1. Full names of items for sell/buying. Pretty obvious, but many simply give messages of the type "Title says it all. Serious offers only." Why full names?! If for nothing more, then because not everyone will know what some of the abreviated forms mean.
      I take this as mandatory part.
    2. Offer type. Is it fixed price, auction or trade. Is there a minimum price?! If it's fixed, or there is minimum price, state it.
      I take it as mandatory.
    3. Offer expiration. Regardless of whether it's auction or shop, there should be a time frame given, even if it is "until the item is being sold."
      I take this as mandatory.
    4. Contact details. Character names and usual channel. Used account names, if different (for PM purposes). Possibly more personal means, like instant messenger address.
      I take it as mandatory.
      NOTE: Never give your private message address on public forum. Use one made specifically for using it publicly. Furthermore, remember to set your PM options as to allow messages from potential buyers/sellers/traders.
    5. Screenshots, especially if the items are rare or with resonance stones.
      I take it as optional, but for armors/weapons, valuable.
    6. Time frames of availability. If someone is on always during specific times, it helps to get in contact with such a thread poster. Some have more random times though.
      I take it as optional.

If the amount of items to sell/buy/trade is large, it'll be best to sort them in groups, possibly using tags and group titles.

Guilds:
    1) Title and Subtitle:
    When making a title, depending on what you are trying to post, there are things to put.
      If it's thread to look for members to create a new guild, the title should look around: "Creating guild Guide Example". In subtitle, please add something around "Looking for characters of all levels/classes to create a new guild."

It it is a thread to look for guild, title should include "Looking for Guild". In the subtitle, please add the classess and levels of characters for which you need the guild, for example: "Lvl50 Assassin, lvl50 Paladin".

If it's recrutation thread, title should include the guilds name and information on the topics nature: "Guide Example looking for Members". If there are restrictions, it's good to make a short overview in the subtitle, for example: "Only experienced characters at 40+ levels. Includes knowledge test."

2) Message:
    Depending on the type of topic, information in it should differ:
      If it's thread to look for members to create a new guild or recruit members to existing one, the message must include all the requirements clearly stated in an easy to read way, as well as means of applying and/or contact information.

It it is a thread to look for guild, all additional information (players requirements for the guild as well as what he/she can offer to it) should be included.

NOTE: Please do not compare your guild to any other. Please don't flame or bad-mouth any guild. Opinions should be left to the people that do look for a guild.

Gameplay Help:
    1) Title and Subtitle:
    Basically, the general. Topic must include the most basic information on what is the content of thread. Subtitle may include additional, more in-depth overview of the problem. For example: Title- "Looking for quest treants." Subtitle- "Treants are for quest "Pesky Tree Guardians" on map Fictional Island gotten from book."

Please do not include anything that does not inform the viewer of the content. This includes things like "Pls help", "Read pls", "Urgent" and anything general "Few Questions", unless it can't be avoided (for example, if the thread have 5 questions on very different topics).

2) Message:
    All available information and all questions should be given politely and to the point. Don't include your opinions on the topic within the questions themselves. Please don't jump from question to question. If you have more than one question on more than one topic, please group them.

If you did read some information on the topic already, SAY SO. It's not uncommon for people to give links to threads that by their opinion to give the answers only to hear "I did already read that thread, but I want to hear more opinion.". If that's the case, say that in the first post instead of wasting others times.

Suggestions:
    Title and Subtitle:
    Clear information on the content. If it's a compilation of few suggestions on ranger, something along the lines "Ranger Suggestions" is fitting for a title. If it's a suggestion to add skill to a class "New Skill for Ranger" should be in the title.
    Don't use your imaginative skills/mechanics/whatever name in the topic, because no one will know what it means. This means that "Vorpal Slash for Ranger" is not a good topic, but at least gives chance for the viewer to guess what it is. Titles like "Battle Royale" though are utterly useless. Such name could be for event, skill or mechanic, for example, therefore the threads title as well could not exist in the first place.

You may want to add some tags. For example [Event], [Skills], [Promo], [Content] or similar. In my opinion the tag [SGST] is quite pointless. If it is in a suggestion section, it must be a suggestion anyway or it was posted poorly and should be moved.

Subtitle should include more in-depth information for more complicated topic. For example, "Includes mechanical changes to balance caster classess in PvP." would be good subtitle for "Caster Classes Suggestions".

Message must include reason for the suggestion and suggestion itself. If the reason is a problem, include a detailed information on it. Also, include how the suggestion is supposed to affect it. For example suggestion to make PvP maps open after getting only two people would include "This would increase chance of the PvP to actually beginning." If the change brings nothing, then there's no point in doing it, so suggesting it is a waste of time.

It is a good idea to include pros and cons of the suggestion in the original post as well.

Remember to be polite. Suggestions of the type "Fix these stupid fail rates of those **** sprites!" are only made to start a flame war, which in turn is against the rules.
    NOTE: The above, vulgar, statement is just an example. It does not in any way show my opinion, nor was it made to offend anyone.

Always back up your opinions with arguments!

For any other sections, if there would be a need, feel free to inform me of it.
I do not plan on posting information about Technical Problems (but if someone from that sections regulars so wishes, I can add such a section as given by him).

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedFeb 03, 2010 5:06 pm
Persiangato wrote:
Can I hug you?  
Fast...I didn't finish fine-tuning the first post, keh.

And thank you but...no...

/ Sorry, deleting now. /

EDIT: I'll keep this post as a backup in case I were to ever need it to add more.