GMAcademy

Rank 3
GMAcademy
PostedSep 08, 2013 6:07 pm

[Guide] Drakensang Online Starter Guide

~ Check it out ~
If this is your first time playing Drakensang Online, or you are new to online games, this short guide will help teach you the basics so you can get started quickly. If you have played other action RPGs or adventure games you should be able to dive right in to Drakensang Online without needing to read this guide.

What is Drakensang Online?

Drakensang Online, or DSO, is a massively multiplayer action RPG. In short, you explore a large fantasy world, battle monsters or other players, collect and sell loot, gain experience and as you level up your character you will gain new skills and powers. This is all done in an online world filled with many other players who you can chat with, work with them as a team or ignore them if that is what you prefer.

Server Selection

When you log in to the game your account, a server selection window will pop-up. You can select one of the displayed servers to play on. There are 6 servers available: Agathon (US-East), Tegan (US-West), Balor (Player vs Player or PvP), Werian (Turkey), Grimmag (EU) and Heredur (EU). The game will suggest a server when you first log on (based on your location and server usage) in order to maximize your gaming experience. All servers are independent of one another; characters cannot switch from one server to another.

Some considerations when choosing a server:
- Ping time
- Time Zone
- PvP or PvE
- Language

Once you select your server, you will be taken to the player backpage. From here you can start the game client, review character data, invite friends to play DSO and add more andermant to your character.

Character Creation

Creating a character is an easy process. The first time you log into a server, you will taken to the character creation screen. Here you can choose to be a Dragonknight, Spellweaver or Ranger, gender, character name (Forum/Chat rules still apply to names), body type and hairstyle.

You can have up to four different heroes per account, though all of your heroes will share the same Andermant account. After logging in, use the ‘switch’ button above the character to be forwarded to the character selection screen, where you can also create new characters. If you are using the downloadable client, you will see this screen immediately after logging in.

Most important facts about the new multi-character accounts:
Up to four characters per account
One shared Andermant account
WARNING: To prevent exploits, you will be charged 200 Andermant for deleting characters. Be deliberate when creating a character.

The ultimate question: Dragonknight, Spellweaver or Ranger - which is better?

It really comes down to preference of combat style.
Dragonknights are melee fighters, so expect up close and personal combat with swords and shields.
Spellweavers harness the mystical arts to blast their enemies from a distance.
Rangers are exceptional range fighters with the bow, but are also good at melee combat.

First Steps in Drakensang Online

While gameplay in DSO is fairly simple to learn, it wouldn't hurt to spend a few minutes familiarizing yourself with the interface before diving into the gameplay.

Top Bar

1. Glyphs of Power - Melt enchanted and Unique items and use Glyphs to upgrade items.
  2. Andermant (P) - A major form of currency that is found in-game and may be bought for real money.
  3. Draken - Currency earned from special events and can be spent on Gnob (the Event merchant).
  4. Coins (gold / silver / copper) - In-game currency used to repair equipment, Knowledge Tree-related upgrades, to buy basic equipment, essence, and transport between urban areas.
  5. Badges of Honor - Earned in PvP fights.
  6. Character (C) - Displays informative information about your character.
  7. Quest Log (Q) - Lists all active quests you are doing.
  8. Talent (T) - Shows the talent tree for Experience, Knowledge and Fame.
  9. Skills (S) - Shows all learned skill information and upgrades.
  10. Inventory (I) - Shows your equipped items as well as your storage bags.
  11. Shop (T) - A buy-only shop accessible from anywhere.
  12. World Map (Ctrl+M) - Displays the world map.
  13. Map (M) - Displays the zone map overlay on the screen.
  14. Player Search (F) - Opens a control panel where you can search for players by name, manage buddies, guilds and see who's online for the area you are currently in.
  15. Battle Registration (J) - You can register and join various battles in Hero's Arena.
  16. Rankings (L) - View PvP rankings among peers.
  17. Event (E) - Shows an advertisement and progress bar for the active event.
  18. Premium Account - Identifier for players who purchased a premium account
  19. Fullscreen - Switches the game window to fullscreen with no window borders.
  20. Main Menu - Lists options available to the player.

Vertical Bar (Left)

21. Notifications - Click to open and view the active notifications.
  22. Chat Scroll - View your chat history by clicking on the up/down arrows.
  23. Global Chat Filter - Activate to remove all chat not in your default language.
  24. Hide / Reveal chat box.
  25. Chat Tab - Designate desired chat audience.
  26. Enter Chat dialogue

Bottom Bar

27. Date and Time of the last update
  28. Teleport - Teleport back to the last urban area you visited (Activate at level 5 on the
  29. Knowledge tree).
  30. Hit Points - Indicates the amount of Health Points
  31. Temporary Notifications - Indicates temporary changes in your environment that may affect game-play.
  32. Hotkeys 1-6 - assign a function to these 6 spots
  33. Experience Bar - Lists the experience progress at the current level
  34. Hotkey 7 - attain level 15 on the Knowledge tree to active this Hotkey
  35. LMB - Activate the assigned skill be clicking on the left mouse button.
  36. RMB - Activate the assigned skill be clicking on the right mouse button.
  37. Tab - Use "Tab" to switch the abilities used for the RMB.
  38. Mana / Concentration / Rage - Amount available to use special skills.
  39. Essence - Equip essence to increase the power of attacks.
  40. Bigpoint policies- Access T&C, Privacy policy, legal information, and your user ID

Quests

Your adventure begins on Pilgrim's Path. You will meet a quest giver nearby named Valery. She will have a blue '!' over her head. This indicates that she has a quest that you are eligible to begin.

*Note on Pilgrims Path ~ make sure you complete this before you leave the region. This is the only quest you will not be able to return to finish.

Click on Valery with your LMB to open her dialog window. You will now be presented with the quest information, quest objectives and the rewards for completing this quest. Click the green check to accept the quest.

If you open your Quest Log (hotkey "Q"), you will now see The Path of Destiny listed there. If you click on that, you will see the same quest information displayed in a window pane to the right that you just learned from the quest giver, in case you forget what you need to do. You can also see the reward for completing the quest.

In this instance, to complete The Path of Destiny, proceed further up the road and look for Urda. She will have a blue '?' over her head, this signifies that she is the finish point for a quest (it can also mean that NPC is a person of interest that you need to talk to, but not in this situation). Talk to Urda and select The Path of Destiny to open the quest completion dialog. Here you can read what Urda has to say, review the quest rewards and when finished, click the Checkmark button to finish the quest.

Most times that you hand in a quest, that person will also provide you with a new quest. The more quests you perform, the more will become available to you.

*Note: when you open the mini map (hotkey "M"), you will also be able to see the locations of the quest givers with either a "!" or "?".

Loot

Show me the money! You can come by loot several ways. Mobs will drop items when they are killed or they can be found in various chests and barrels. Common loot types are gold, andermant, essence, potions, weapons and armor/equipment. Simply click the loot on the ground with your LMB to pick it up; it will then either be in your Inventory or automatically equipped on your character.

Loot can also be found in common chests or locked chests that require a key. Keys can be found or purchased by accessing the Shop via the menu bar.

Quest items can also drop from select mobs if you have a related quest in your Quest Log, these items commonly have a light blue glow surrounding them and usually look like pots and chests.

If your bags are full, you will not be able to pick up anymore loot. You can either head back to town to sell of unwanted items, or invest in more bag slots through the Shop button. But eventually you will have to sell items no matter how much bag space you have.

Equipping Items

Once you have picked up or purchased some new equipment, you can then equip this on your character in the Inventory window (hotkey "I"). Double click on the item you want to equip, or you can drag and drop it from your bags to the appropriate slot on your character above. Un-equiping items works the same way.

Changing Zones

To access another zone click on the blue glowing arrow. In regards to Pilgrim's Path, there is only one exit from this zone, which leads you into the first town of Grimford.

Later zones are much larger, with multiple spots to enter other zones, towns and dungeons.

Towns

Towns are a safe haven. You cannot be attacked by another player even if you are in PvP mode. Here you can buy and sell items, embark on new quests or even just sit and chat and meet your fellow adventurers.

Most of the traders around towns have the same items that are available through your Shop button, but they are still handy since you can still sell them your unwanted items.

The Blacksmith is unique; his items (weapons and armor) can only be purchased through him, and he is the only trader that can repair your damaged gear.

By using the mini map, you can see the location of each of the traders in town by their blue insignias.

Dungeons

Unlike the rest of Drakensang Online, dungeons are the only zones that are seperated from the rest of the players. When you enter a dungeon, that is your own private dungeon until you leave. If you are in a group when entering a dungeon, the rest of your group will be able to join you inside.

Dungeons also have a parallel world similar to a "difficulty" setting. Normal is the basic version of a dungeon, while the parallel world is for much higher level players to re-experience earlier content again but with much harder mobs and bosses.

*NOTE: The harder the setting the higher level the loot drop.

Travel Stone

If you're feeling weary from running or just don't feel like running the gauntlet of mobs to get to another location, there are travel stones conveniently placed within each urban area, dungeon, and many wilderness areas.

The travel stones instantly zap you to areas that you have previously visited...for a price of course. Each teleport will cost either coins or andermant, but how can you place a cost on convenience?!!

When you click on the travel stone, it will open the world map. Green is your current location and accessible regions have a blue stone. Select your destination and you will have the option to teleport or cancel if your pocketbook is feeling a bit light.

Note: Not all locations have a travel stones.

Advertisement

Sayuki09

Rank 0
PostedSep 26, 2013 5:50 am

Problem with the download

Good morning, I hope to answer here, since there are no sections. State that I am Italian and my English is not the best. I received an e-mail Drakensang and intrigued me a lot. When I try to open the game, it tells me that I have to install the new Java, which I already have.
I tried to restart the PC and the browser but the problem persists. What can I do?

mts022683

Rank 0
PostedNov 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Problem with the download

Sayuki09 wrote:
it tells me that I have to install the new Java, which I already have.
I tried to restart the PC and the browser but the problem persists. What can I do?  

I have the same problem Sad

gamejosua

Rank 0
PostedJun 26, 2014 1:04 pm
05bsd

ridehogs

Rank 0
PostedDec 30, 2017 10:19 pm

JAVA

no work
I gave up on this game due to 'you need to update java', a waste of time. This poor software is just a scam to make money. Try Wizard 101 for more fun. BIG FARM is better too. MMO can be fun, just not here.