mileskagamine

Rank 0
mileskagamine
PostedSep 02, 2017 2:54 am
I would say they judged it like this,
First place is the overall best,
Second place fits the theme the best.
Third place has the most (or at least one of) iconic scene in an anime.

So I'm the second place and I think I fit the theme rather well. I didn't do something to visually pleasing, that's true. I was just under stress and trying to make Sailor Moon not seem too "loli" ish since I draw smaller characters a lot.
Anyway, I meant fitting the theme the best because I incorporated her character wearing an outfit closest to what represents her and using a weapon that also reflects her own.
So the princess heal wand obviously looks a lot like all of Sailor Moon's weapons.
Also her outfit I choose was because her name is Usagi, so the bunny stadium outfit seemed to fit the best with her.

But I get the criticism and I do wish I did something better looking, I'll just have to practice more I guess!

Advertisement

dkstarcraft

Rank 5
dkstarcraft
PostedSep 03, 2017 4:15 am
Starrraver wrote:

I could in 2 seconds see why those entries did not win, they barely seem like a crossover, some even "forced" put the name of anime/character in the artwork because you can easily confuse them with a toon of other anime characters or you can barely recognize them.

And thats the major win of the top 3, in 2 seconds you can see from wich anime they are from.

B3mo

Rank 2
B3mo
PostedSep 03, 2017 6:16 am
mileskagamine wrote:
I would say they judged it like this,
First place is the overall best,
Second place fits the theme the best.
Third place has the most (or at least one of) iconic scene in an anime.

So I'm the second place and I think I fit the theme rather well. I didn't do something to visually pleasing, that's true. I was just under stress and trying to make Sailor Moon not seem too "loli" ish since I draw smaller characters a lot.
Anyway, I meant fitting the theme the best because I incorporated her character wearing an outfit closest to what represents her and using a weapon that also reflects her own.
So the princess heal wand obviously looks a lot like all of Sailor Moon's weapons.
Also her outfit I choose was because her name is Usagi, so the bunny stadium outfit seemed to fit the best with her.

But I get the criticism and I do wish I did something better looking, I'll just have to practice more I guess!  

Your Picture fits the theme the best? Really? So chopper did all this Research before he picked your Picture? He read every Wikipedia site of every Anime that was postet here and also searched the meaning of every Name? Dont make me laugh xD

Starrraver

Rank 0
PostedSep 04, 2017 9:03 am
dkstarcraft wrote:
Starrraver wrote:

I could in 2 seconds see why those entries did not win, they barely seem like a crossover, some even "forced" put the name of anime/character in the artwork because you can easily confuse them with a toon of other anime characters or you can barely recognize them.

And thats the major win of the top 3, in 2 seconds you can see from wich anime they are from.  

Strictly based on the criteria of the contest and only the then sure why not? As far as visual interest goes its a bit lacking even though it has all the right stuff. While the others may not fit the contest to a Tee, the artwork itself isn't so generic looking.

first place won because it both fit the theme and had a dynamic artwork. Second place only aimed for fitting the contest's theme and it looks like they're presenting a character design sheet rather than an artwork.

So yes even though he/she won, it doesn't hurt to tell them to get more creative with how they present their artwork. That might not matter here, but feedback goes a long way. My perspective might be limited as ive only seen one artwork from this person, but who knows.

mileskagamine

Rank 0
mileskagamine
PostedSep 04, 2017 7:59 pm
I don't really think I fit the very best, I'm sure part the decision also went with what anime's are popular. I just thought that I fit it rather well with the s4 themes relating to the character itself. I mean I'm still shocked I won at all, I'm just making sense of my placing because I think a lot of people are upset about how everything worked out.
I'm also going to add that I don't want to seem like I'm being stuck up about it at all. I really thought so many people did much better, that I'm really, really surprised to have placed at all. Just have to add this because reading what I said I could see how people could take it the wrong way since you can't really read with someone's intended tone.