slickx

Rank 5.1
slickx
PostedJul 25, 2007 1:25 am

My latest project (outside of LC)

I dont normally post in this section but i wanted to share with everyone my latest project
It is a mame box and as soon as i finish it i will be enjoying every arcade game i can remember

Above is the MDF construct (pretty much a wooden box)

and here is the almost completed product
it has a 1.5Ghz processor 512mb ram and an geforce 4 videocard (really dont need much more for arcade games)

Just need to finish the wiring and i might post some more SS if anyone is interested

Advertisement

Cinnamon

Rank 5
Cinnamon
ooo I like the top you did. Very nice.

justforgetme

Rank 2
justforgetme
PostedJul 25, 2007 7:22 am
arcades????

love those Very Happy

and what you did is realy great Wink

I hope though that you have left some openings for ventilation, since any system with a 1.5 proc (p4 or amd) + geforce 4 card will produce great amounts of heat and thus need a good ventilation system Wink

<code><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="160" width="480" <param name="movie" value="http://www.loving-people.com/LCST-hotlink/teaser.swf" <param> </object></code>

slickx

Rank 5.1
slickx
PostedJul 25, 2007 11:14 pm
You cant see but the back has 1 x 80mm fans at the back Smile which is almost directly over the mobo

i know i need some more photos

u pretty much plug it into your TV and play all the classic arcade games and more Smile

Cipater

Rank 2
Cipater
PostedJul 26, 2007 6:40 am
Excellent! Was this built from a kit / project manual? I'd love more info - the DIY stuff always gets me jazzed. You have piqued my interest. Smile
*goes to bed*

<div></div>

slickx

Rank 5.1
slickx
PostedJul 26, 2007 6:39 pm
i did a fair bit of research
the idea isnt mine either
but i designed the box from scratch from a paper template...button distance all that stuff

www.arcadeinabox.com
is where i originally saw the box and they have their own plans you can buy but i pretty much saw it and said i can build that
not to mention the 3 or 4 websites that can help you avoid regular problems

Once i finish the wiring i cant wait to play Marvel Vs Capcom Smile

Cipater

Rank 2
Cipater
PostedJul 31, 2007 11:20 pm
Looks awesome, and (despite the "joys" of soldering) sounds like a lot of fun! Where did you purchase the buttons and joysticks? Where do you get the ROMs/software to put on the HD, and how do you go about loading up games, adding new games, etc? I'm really interested in the details. Smile
*was an arcade ***** in his younger years* >_<

<div></div>

slickx

Rank 5.1
slickx
PostedJul 31, 2007 11:20 pm

The internals
Standard computer
HDD
FAN for ventilation
Neon light to light up buttons

And the wiring (this was a boring repetative task, like pet lvling)

if you have any questions let me know Smile

slickx

Rank 5.1
slickx
PostedAug 01, 2007 12:48 am
Cipater wrote:
Looks awesome, and (despite the "joys" of soldering) sounds like a lot of fun! Where did you purchase the buttons and joysticks? Where do you get the ROMs/software to put on the HD, and how do you go about loading up games, adding new games, etc? I'm really interested in the details. Smile
*was an arcade ***** in his younger years* >_<  

No soldering involved in this one Smile...all crimpped

The Buttons and Joysticks came from www.retromania.com.au

Romes came from http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/

Everything was preloaded onto the computer with Mame and double checked that it worked before i took the computer apart

The main piece of equipment you need is called a KeyWiz and is super useful as it allows you to switch between buttons and keyboard with the flick of a switch (it is where all those wires will end up)

I can load games on further down the track via USB or as it is a computer i can just hook it up to my network and download straight from the net Smile

maybe i need to put it on my blog Smile lol