Prefinity

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Prefinity
PostedMar 29, 2013 8:39 pm

[Guide(adv)] Game Skill Mechanics & Maximum DPS

For players who have understood the basics and want to move on to the advance knowledge.
For this guide I will be using the defender's skill set as an example, other classes will be similar and the concept will be the same.

Skill delays, skill cast time & skill canceling

Skill delays:A skill delay is basically a skill where you will have to wait for the animation to end before you can use another. Although the delays are small, they are noticeable.
Examples are:
(Rupture)
(Clash of Titans)
(Lacerate)
(Gash)

Skill cast time: Skills that require slightly more time for the damage show up than others.Will explain how to use them properly further down on post.

Examples:
(Gash)
(Lacerate)
(Clash of Titans)
Most delay skills have cast time.

Skill canceling: Skill canceling is where you take advantage of skill delays. The reason I called this skill canceling is because using some skills before another will cancel the ending animation of the first skill. So instead of waiting for 2 skills to finish animating you only need to wait for one.

Examples:
(Rupture)
then into
(Lacerate)
or
(Clash of Titans)

in some cases, skills cant be cancel.

(Rupture)
then
(Gash)
Gash will not cancel the animation of Rupture resulting in waiting for 2 animations to finish.

HOWEVER THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL SKILLS.

Skill linking & skill chaining

Skill chaining:Skill chains are skills that take no time to cast or delay and does damage instantaneously. Chain skills are mostly dashes or gap closers.

Examples:
(quicklime)
(Loathing)

Using a delay skill then into a chain is the best way to start off dps.
(Gash)
then into
(Loathing)
and/or
(quicklime)

Skill linking: Skill linking is any skill that has no delay time is able to link to any skill with out having to wait for the delay.

Examples:
(cut both ways)
(bladesong basic attack)

(note) all basic attacks are a special type of link skill. If you use another linking skill after your basic attack you will actually reduce the delay time slightly.

LINKING SKILLS WILL LEAD TO YOUR MAIN SOURCE OF DPS DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THEM

Utilizing mech mode

Now you all you know mechs' are the highest skill damage in the game but may not know how to achieve the highest DPS possible.When you get into mech mode, you need to use as many skills as possible and get out mech form ASAP.Reason being, the longer you stay in mech, the more CP you use waiting on cooldowns. Now, i dont have any mech skills pics so ill be giving examples & explanation with mech 1, mech 2, mech 3 etc...

Mech 1:basic attack (link)
Mech 2:single target skill with 2 sec cast time(delay)
Mech 3:single target skill (link)
Mech 4:single target skill (delay)
Mech 5:AOE target skill (delay)

Example&Explaination:
This would be my combo.
Mech 4-> Mech 3 -> Mech 5 -> Mech 2 -> Mech 3 -> Mech 1 -> Mech 4 ->Mech 2 -> off.

The reason i get off at Mech 2 is because of the HUGE 2 sec cast time. When your mech is off cool down you will be able to get off regardless of stun or any kind of CC, even during you own cast time delays.So right when you Mech 2 and go back normal you will be able to attack and cast skills but it will not register. This is where your normal cast time skills come in.If your normal cast time skill takes longer than 2 sec cast time from the mech, the attack will register which is similar to skill canceling.Now the time you go into mech form is when most of you skills are on cooldown or at least your main damage skills are so when you get off mech form, you main skills will be up and ready to be used.

MAXIMUM DPS!

Now that you understand the concept, all you have to do is to put everything together.If you do it correctly your DPS will raise ATLEAST 50%.It is also best to prioritize learning a new skill over leveling up a strong skill.Now just is the combo i do when bossing.

(Gash) (delay)
(Loathing) (chain)
(quicklime) (chain)
(bladesong) (link)
(cut both ways) (link)
(Rupture) (delay)
(Clash of Titans) (delay)
(bladesong) (link)
(cut both ways) (link)
(Lacerate) (delay)
(bladesong) (link)
(cut both ways) (link)
(Rupture) (delay)
(Steel Impact) (delay)
Then finally to mech form and repeat with some slight variations.

You will notice that i use basic attack and cut both ways quite abit, that is because i mentioned before that linking skills with low CD will be the main source of DPS. so use them more offten!Now that the concept is out of the way, learn your skills, understand their cast times, delays and cooldowns and make your own combo to improve your DPS!

if you have any questions or comments feel free to post them.If you find any mistakes or im missing information, let me know as well and i will correct it.
Advertisement

bvdlord

Rank 3
bvdlord
PostedApr 10, 2013 6:30 pm
do you have a guide for punisher or SW?

sentor98

Rank 0
PostedApr 27, 2013 6:45 am
hmm why Loathing before Quicktime? Wouldn't you want Loathing last to get the extra aggro?

Oh, well I suppose in PvP it would be a different story though! You'd want to keep things divided up into ranges. No use rushing in and getting yourself killed if you can just pick a dude off from a distance...

TomatsuHaruka

Rank 0
PostedMay 23, 2013 9:03 am

what skill category does Cynosure falls under?

i follow your ultimate skill build.
so.. i dont use cynosure? what about hurricane