Yyore

GameSage: Scarlet Blade
Yyore
PostedApr 06, 2013 7:48 pm   Last edited by Yyore on Oct 08, 2013 10:57 am. Edited 10 times in total

[Guide] Capital Punishment: A Complete Guide for Punishers

I love you more than a laser-guided homing missile :3

**THIS GUIDE IS LONG AND STILL NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED.
FOR NOW, IT MAINLY COVERS LVL 29 BUILDS. ANY FEEDBACK/CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

**Tactics & Logic behind the builds is somewhat underconstruction**

Update log
06/04/2013 - Posted guide
12/04/2013 - Ultimate Skill update
12/04/2013 - Recommended Gear

Table of contents

1. Introduction - Post#1
2. Pros & Cons - Post #1
3. Skill descriptions & recommendations - Post #2
4. Reliable PVP and/or PVE builds - Post #3
5. Tactics and logic behind the builds - Post #4
6. Recommended Gear - Post #4
7. Credits - Post #4

1. Introduction

Hello and welcome to my first awesome guide for Punishers on Scarlet Blade. As some of you may have noticed from my post history, I LOVE punishers. I honestly think this class is one of the best and unfortunately one of most underrated classes in the game. This being said, the purpose of this guide is to give some insight on Punisher's potential abilities and to offer a concrete source of information that you can refer for help or advice.

2. Pros & Cons

Similarly to other classes, the punisher class is not perfect ; it will always its advantages & disadvantages. However, itís up to you to play accordingly so you can maximize your utility.

Pros:

-Deadly long range attacks (great for KOs; you can out damage heals)
-High DPS & damage output
-Powerful critical hits
-High critical rates
-Relatively useful team buffs/debuffs
-Grinding/questing is cake (assuming you rely on consumables from time to time)
-Powerful mech form.

Cons:

-Relatively low HP & SP
-Low defense (donít even try to tank)
-Wait time for cooldowns after first skill rotation
-Relatively high SP cost for skills
-Relatively high CP usage in mech form
-Movement restriction for some buffs

*Follow through next post for skill descriptions & recommendation*

Mod: Good job! Stickied. Mr. Green
Advertisement

Yyore

Yyore
PostedApr 06, 2013 7:49 pm   Last edited by Yyore on Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm. Edited 2 times in total
3. Skills description & recommendation

For easy reference, Iíve numbered every skill in the image below. Take note, my recommendations are mostly based on gameplay aspects and experience. Feel free to post yours if something does not seem logical sound.

Active skills

1- Artillery shot: Starting basic auto-attack skill. Low damage, low SP cost, low cooldown.

Recommendation

PVE & PVP: Helpful to complete skill rotation sometimes.

2- Death-grip Ammo: Another basic attack skill. Stronger than Artillery shot, has a higher SP cost and 3 second cooldown.

Recommendation

PVE & PVP: Helpful to complete skill rotation. 1 Skill point is more than enough; any more will be completely useless seeing that you need at least 10 to have a (100% increase relative to lvl 1)

3- Lethal blessing: Basic attack skill. Stronger than Artillery shot and has a 800 starting crit for a 6 second cooldown.

Recommendations

PVP & PVP: A must get. Great DPS and crits for a low cooldown skill. Should max.

4- Sharpshooter: High damage barrage of hits with a 9 cooldown.

Recommendation

PVP & PVE: Definitely a skill to max.

5- Demolition: High damage single target combat skill with a 900 damage starting crit.

Recommendation

PVP & PVE: Great for DPS and overall damage. Extremely helpful for skill rotation. Getting 3 skill points would be ideal so you can get Mighty Impact.

6- Might Impact: Extremely high damage single target combat skill with a 2000 damage starting crit and best range skill (23M) Deals even more damage if you have CH-Att. However, it has a 20 sec cooldown and a 3 second charge time. Higher skill rank lowers charge time.

Recommendation

PVP: Extremely useful for short and long range KOs. You can basically drop someoneís HP by ľ or even Ĺ with a crit. Would definitely max.

PVE: Great skill but doesnít necessarily maximize DPS because of the cooldown. Would spend at most 1 skill point.

7- Swingers: Knock out your opponent for a starting 2 sec + inflicts damage.

Recommendations

PVP: DEFINITELY A MUST GET. I canít count how many times it saved my life and my teammates from rushing whippers, SW and defenders. I would get at least 2 points.

PVE: Somewhat useful in normal quests. Dungeon, not so much assuming someone will aggro more than you. Investing at least 2 points would be ideal so you can use OnlyPenetration.

8- OnlyPenetration: A single target debuff that lowers void, eva, gravity, particle, voltage, atomic and plasma resist by 500 in addition to a -1000 crit for lvl 1. Has a 30 sec cooldown for a 10 sec duration

Recommendation

PVP: I personally max this skill for defenders and whipper since everyone can benefit from that debuff. Kinda useless against medic since they can debuff it.

PVE: Ideally, it should be great for bosses but I am not sure how significant are its effects. Would still get at least 1 skill point.

9- Atomic bullet: A strong single target atomic attack which reduces SPD movement by 10 for a duration of 6 secs. It has a 15 sec cooldown and it gets better every level.

Recommendation

PVP: Another nice damaging skill for your skill rotation. That SDP movement reduction can be handy in battlegrounds or caergate but not really optimal. Would only get 3 skill points for
A-Bomb`s AOE effect.

PVE: Not so useful except for increasing overall damage and DPS. Your thought on this would be nice.

10- A-bomb: AoE version of Atomic bullet but with more damage. Affects 3 people in 5M radius

Recommendation

PVP: I can`t say how effective it is since I`ve never tried it but I have a good impression it can cause significant AOE damage.

PVE: Can be useful against 3 or so mobs. Aside that, it`s hard to say.

11- Plasma bullet: Single target combat skill. Does relatively lower damage than every other combat skills aside death grip and your auto attack. However, it starts with a plasma effect of 94 dmg every 2 secs for 10 secs. Half for pvp. 15 sec cooldown.

Recommendation

PVP: Can be relatively good. Would only get at most 3 points to enable plama bomb

PVE: Full DoT potential on mobs and bosses but still not really effective.

12- Plasma Bomb: AoE version of Plama bullet but deals way more DoT Damage (starts at 642 dmg/2 secs for 10 secs). Can hit up to 4 people in a 7M radius at lvl 1. 25 sec cooldown.

Recommendation

PVP: Should max. It is literally the best damaging AoE for punisher.

PVE: Similarly to plasma bullet, it will be useful for mobs.

13- Defense Cocoon: Protective barrier that covers a 10M AoE diameter that affects up to 6 people. 700 EVA increase and 500 void increase. 30 sec base duration with 1 min 10 sec cooldown.

Recommendation

PVP: For optimal performance, you need to move a lot in battlegrounds and so, youíll less likely going to use this skill to its full potential. For a balanced build, I would get at most 2 points to enable offensive cocoon. It might help sometimes.

PVE: Great for PVE since you donít really need to care about mobility in quests. Great buff to help your teams for dungeons as well. I would still get at most 2 points to enable offensive cocoon.

14- Offensive Cocoon: Similar to Defensive cocoon but increase min atk, max atk by 15% and crit by 1000 for level 1. Smaller radius (5m). Affects up to 6 people. Base cooldown of 1 min 30 secs.

PVP: Same problem with defensive cocoon. However, it can be great used properly.
Mobility comes first. I would probably put 1 point on it.

PVE: You donít need to move a lot so itís probably one of the best AoE buffs for mobs and bosses. Benefits almost the whole team. Would definitely max.

15- Detection Cocoon: Increases detection value by 50 for lvl 1.

Recommendation

PVP: Good but not worth it. Let sentinels and medics cover this part.

PVE: You don't even need it.

16- Mind over body: Coverts hp to SP

Recommendation

PVP & PVE: Can be helpful but not worth it especially since you need hp. SP consumables more reliable.

17- In plain sight: Increases concealment, def and void (20, 50 and 300 respectively at lvl 1) for 20 secs. Can enter conceal state (moving, taking damage or inflicting damage will reveal you).

PVP: Mixed feelings about this skill. Conceal state and 50 def can be really helpful. If you decide to get it, 1 point would be optimal considering the fact thereís only a +10 concealment, +10 def and +100 void for every extra skill point invested.

PVE: Not really worth it. The chances you get koed by mobs in quests or dungeons are significantly lower than pvp and therefore HP consumables are more than enough.

18- Firing squad: A 20 second buff that increases you min/max atk by 30%, crit by 500 and crit-atk by 2000 at lvl 1. Completely restricts your movements but can be duffed by right clicking

Recommendation

PVP: Even though it completely reduces your mobility, you can kill anyone in 3-4 shots at the right time and then debuff. Definitely worth maxing.

PVE: You donít need much mobility for mobs and bosses so this skill is just perfect. Youíll have the best DPS and overall damage of your team. Should max.

Passive skills

19- Intermediate health mastery: Gives extra %hp based on your armor. +4% at lvl 1.

Recommendation

PVP: Can be helpful for pvp. It really depends on your skill build.

PVE: Relying on HP consumables for mobs/quests and a medic/defender in dungeons. Donít think youíll need it.

20- Advanced Soul Mastery: Gives extra %SP. +10% at lvl 1.

Recommendation

PVP & PVE: If you completely rely on SP consumables, you wonít need this.

21- Damage mastery: %Increase min atk/max atk. +1% at lvl 1

PVP: Perfect for pvp since youíll need to move a lot and maximize your damage. It should be maxed.

PVE: Your goal is to maximize your dps & overall damage so it would be wise to max this skill.

Ultimate Skill

Havoc: AoE spell. Requires 30k rank pts, 10G and 10 medals. 15 min cooldown.

Recommendation

PVP: Currently one of the best AoE skills for Punishers. Definitely recommended if you know when to use it.

PVE: Not really useful for a 15 mins cooldown spell.

*Follow through next post for reliable PVP and/or PVE builds*

Yyore

Yyore
PostedApr 06, 2013 7:51 pm   Last edited by Yyore on Jun 15, 2013 1:57 pm. Edited 3 times in total
4. Reliable lvl 34 skill builds

1: PVP & PVE

*Follow through next post for tactics and logic behind builds*

Yyore

Yyore
PostedApr 06, 2013 7:54 pm   Last edited by Yyore on Jun 15, 2013 2:16 pm. Edited 9 times in total
5. Tactics and logic behind the builds

**UNDER CONSTRUCTION**

1: PVP+PVE

Goal: Maximize damage, maximize hp and survivability. Mech oriented.

How: The more combat skills, the better for your skill rotation and therefore better dps. Max
passive HP, max stun (swinger) and at most some area buffs. Firing squad for few shots and for swinger/mech combo damage increase. Great for PVE

6. Gear

**UNDER CONSTRUCTION**
**This may or may not be the best gear for Punishers. Feel free to post if you have better alternatives**

Helm: Def, Void, HP, Max CP
Suit: Def, Void, Max HP, Max CP or EVA
Gloves:
Unique version: All possible stats
Normal version: Min ATK, Max ATK, Max HP, Crit-Rate
Bangle: Min ATK, Max ATK, Min Ch-ATK, Max HP
Knee Guards:
Unique version: All 6 possible stats
Normal version: Def, Void, Max HP, Max HP%.
Shoes:
Unique version: All possible stats
Normal version:Def, EVA, Move SPD, Max HP - NOTE: EVA Bonus on shoes are better than void shoes because of the great enchantment bonus!
Weapon:
Unique version: min/max atk, crit rate, min ch-atk, max ch-atk, max hp, ch-acc, acc
Normal version: min/max atk, max ch-atk, crit atk crit-rate. (An accuracy pet datachip would be a +1)
Accessories: Mix of vet/scout.

Sample picture below:

Helmet:

Suit:

Bangles:

Gloves:

Weapon:

Knee Guards:

7. Credits

Reyva Ė Skill build simulator

Yyore (me) Ė Testing several builds

Royaloyalz - Alternative balanced build & feedback

kenshin_1/Undeadhost - Pics for gear + feedback

Evaerie and everyone who actively contributed to Punisherís skill build.

P.S: If you have any questions, please go ahead and don't be shy!

May the volcano beetle be you Twisted Evil

Yours truly,
Yyore

Leodie1234

Rank 0
PostedApr 06, 2013 9:29 pm
I'll try your PvE build out. Hopefully it works well!

artificiallove

Rank 0
PostedApr 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Some question on skills

Really confused :c
Okay so I've read a few guides and builds on Punishers including this one but I was confused why demolition and mighty impact was considered "bad" on other builds because of the charging time. I know that Punishers have slow movement speed and also the animation is really annoyingly slow at times so I wanted to know if the charging time of those skills would be a do-or-die kind of thing. But besides that, your guide is a huge help. Very Happy

Yyore

Yyore
PostedApr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Some question on skills

Really confused :c
artificiallove wrote:
Okay so I've read a few guides and builds on Punishers including this one but I was confused why demolition and mighty impact was considered "bad" on other builds because of the charging time. I know that Punishers have slow movement speed and also the animation is really annoyingly slow at times so I wanted to know if the charging time of those skills would be a do-or-die kind of thing. But besides that, your guide is a huge help. Very Happy  

I also never understood why these two are underrated. I can't count how many times it helped me to do long range KOes or simply to 2-3 hit someone. Charge time was never a issue, except when it comes to ultimates.

royaloyalz

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
royaloyalz
PostedApr 07, 2013 7:18 pm
Thanks for this. I have always been hesitant to add Demolition and Mighty Impact because of the charge time. However, from what you have said, it seems like it is of little issue. By the way, how does the charge time for Mighty Impact works? It seems like there is a range for the charge time? So does that mean that it depends on luck on how long your shot takes to charge?

Looking at it from another point of view, since Punishers are already so immobile, might as well make sure your Punisher can dish out the most damage from that single position yes?

I will reset my skills soon, probably later and try out somethings in your build. Going to have a lot more keys to press now won't I? Hahaha! 10 if I count in the normal attack.

I do agree though that both the cocoons are rather pointless to me, because I seldom use them due to the restrictions it imposes. When you get better gear, you start to kill mobs a lot quicker, usually faster than they can spawn so I won't stay at the same location for a long time and will tend to move around to kill faster. Leaving it at level 2 and 1 respectively makes it good enough for bosses I guess.

I was thinking of making my build more along the lines of your balanced build, but instead of adding skill points into penetration I think I am going to add it into atomic bullet instead.

However before I do that, I need to ask whether the movement speed debuff for atomic bullet actually makes an impact? Like when you want to chase your opponent either in Caergate or BGs?

Yyore

Yyore
PostedApr 08, 2013 2:50 pm
royaloyalz wrote:
Thanks for this. I have always been hesitant to add Demolition and Mighty Impact because of the charge time. However, from what you have said, it seems like it is of little issue. By the way, how does the charge time for Mighty Impact works? It seems like there is a range for the charge time? So does that mean that it depends on luck on how long your shot takes to charge?  

I don't see how it depends on luck. Might impact has a fixed charge time and decreases for every additional skill point invested in the skill.

royaloyalz wrote:
Looking at it from another point of view, since Punishers are already so immobile, might as well make sure your Punisher can dish out the most damage from that single position yes?  

Yea, I guess that's also true assuming you think Punishers are meant to stay on a fixed area and therefore won't care about mobility. :p

royaloyalz wrote:
I will reset my skills soon, probably later and try out somethings in your build. Going to have a lot more keys to press now won't I? Hahaha! 10 if I count in the normal attack.  

I set all my combat skills in the numbered hotkey bar (except the auto attack) and the 3 buffs/debuffs (swingers on F1, OnlyPenetration on F2 and Firing Squad of F3). I could update the guide for skill rotations if you want. Wink

royaloyalz wrote:
I do agree though that both the cocoons are rather pointless to me, because I seldom use them due to the restrictions it imposes. When you get better gear, you start to kill mobs a lot quicker, usually faster than they can spawn so I won't stay at the same location for a long time and will tend to move around to kill faster. Leaving it at level 2 and 1 respectively makes it good enough for bosses I guess.  

Yep. You can kill any mods from quests or solo dungeons in 3 hits without any of those buffs.

royaloyalz wrote:
I was thinking of making my build more along the lines of your balanced build, but instead of adding skill points into penetration I think I am going to add it into atomic bullet instead.

However before I do that, I need to ask whether the movement speed debuff for atomic bullet actually makes an impact? Like when you want to chase your opponent either in Caergate or BGs?  

I understand why a lot of people are skeptical about Atomic Bullet's utility in battleground and Caergate. So, with all honesty, I have yet to see a significant effect on battlegrounds usually because people die so quickly. However, from my experience, Atomic bullet did help me a couple of time in Caergate while chasing and getting chased. In addition, the -### atomic resistance debuff from OnlyPenetration actually amplifies your atomic bullet's potential damage. This being said, I feel that there's a nice little synergy with these 2 skills. So, I would personally invest in atomic bullet for the aforementioned reasons and for the extra skill in your skill rotation. I hope this clears things up. Wink

royaloyalz

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
royaloyalz
PostedApr 08, 2013 6:51 pm
Thanks for your replies. I have already reset my skills according to what I have mentioned as shown here:

http://sb.reyva.com/sim/ss#ftrcjhxwspgpwejahlbhukhnhwzityjfji

Yyore wrote:

I don't see how it depends on luck. Might impact has a fixed charge time and decreases for every additional skill point invested in the skill.  

I see. Then what does the 3 - 1.5 seconds charge time in the description actually means? I am actually a little confused about this, though my personal experience with Mighty Impact thus far has been awesome, with the charge time not really affecting anything at all. In my honest opinion, it is only slightly slower than skills without the charge time, since those skills have cast animation as well.

Yyore wrote:

Yea, I guess that's also true assuming you think Punishers are meant to stay on a fixed area and therefore won't care about mobility. :p  

Not so much in a fixed area, other than due to our buffs of course, but more like at the same set distance. The Punishers are obviously built to fire from far, like a sniper, though the fact that most of our skill's range is the same as the other range classes makes it a little less significant. Only exception is when fighting bosses I guess, where we can just stay at our cozy spot and fire away!

Yyore wrote:

I set all my combat skills in the numbered hotkey bar (except the auto attack) and the 3 buffs/debuffs (swingers on F1, OnlyPenetration on F2 and Firing Squad of F3). I could update the guide for skill rotations if you want. Wink  

It would be good, would make the guide more comprehensive. I personally prefer placing my buffs somewhere far away like 8,9,0 or F8 to F10, since I seldom use them, and I put all my attack skills from 1 - 6 and F1 to F3. I still place attack in 7 though, because sometimes for some weird reason my character doesn't auto attack when all my other skills are in cooldown.

Yyore wrote:

Yep. You can kill any mods from quests or solo dungeons in 3 hits without any of those buffs.  

With crit of course Very Happy I find that our damage is significantly lower with lower crit rates. Goes to show how it is important to us Punishers as well.

Yyore wrote:

I understand why a lot of people are skeptical about Atomic Bullet's utility in battleground and Caergate. So, with all honesty, I have yet to see a significant effect on battlegrounds usually because people die so quickly. However, from my experience, Atomic bullet did help me a couple of time in Caergate while chasing and getting chased. In addition, the -### atomic resistance debuff from OnlyPenetration actually amplifies your atomic bullet's potential damage. This being said, I feel that there's a nice little synergy with these 2 skills. So, I would personally invest in atomic bullet for the aforementioned reasons and for the extra skill in your skill rotation. I hope this clears things up. Wink  

I like the fact that the damage for Atomic Bullet is not too bad either for just 3 skill points. I haven't actually got much chance to see it in action in BGs or caergate, since i just switched to this build, but when I do I will post here on how I feel about it as well.

All in all, this is a solid build with good DPS. I managed something like a 23 - 6 last night at turnpike and ended up first in the rankings with this new build. However, when I tried to solo BC I was owned by Harbinger. I have no idea why people would say that Thanatos is the most difficult. I wiped the floor with it. However, I kept getting stunned by Harbinger. The closest I got to killing Harbinger was about him with 2k hp left before I died... Any help on this one? Maybe I am doing something wrongly but this just made me sooooo frustrated yesterday lol.