WriDyl

Rank 0
WriDyl
PostedMar 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Why is Dex neccessary?

And how can you tank with it?
I have been reading a couple guides for every class really, and I knwo dex helps you hit more often and give you more sp, but someone said they went full dex and were able to tank purples just fine AND deal tons of damage. He was UM but still, how does that work? Is dex good for something else?
Advertisement

BlueDogGravy

Rank 4
BlueDogGravy
PostedMar 20, 2013 2:23 pm
Dex simply increases your chance of hitting (not missing!) and it increases the chance of your attacker missing(mob or other faction!). Tanks typically use REC because rec reduces your damage and increases HP.

WriDyl

Rank 0
WriDyl
PostedMar 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Sorry I was vague.

BlueDogGravy wrote:
Dex simply increases your chance of hitting (not missing!) and it increases the chance of your attacker missing(mob or other faction!). Tanks typically use REC because rec reduces your damage and increases HP.  

The person that said went full dex and said they could do all of the above is a UM Ranger. Do they ahve certain skills that converts that to damage? Special AoEs that allow them to hit/poison? And might he have been able to tank due to the mobs missing very consistently?

BlueDogGravy

Rank 4
BlueDogGravy
PostedMar 20, 2013 2:48 pm
Yeah I was implying that the guy was not being 100% honest if he was all dex and dealing TONS of damage.

Saepe

Rank 0
PostedMar 20, 2013 4:51 pm
DEX also adds to your physical attack, but only by a little bit.

Each point of STR gives you 1.3 physical attack and 1 ranged attack.
Each point of DEX gives you 0.2 physical attack and .2 ranged attack.

So you need 6.5 points of dex to match the attack boost that putting in 1 point of STR gives you. As you can probably imagine, a full dex build does MUCH less damage than a build that focuses on STR and goes for the minimal amount of dex required to hit (this is what most PVE builds go for).

Your friend probably dodges a lot of things, but if your friend is doing tons of damage, it is probably because they have their weapon enchanted or ele linked, or possibly both. It could also be that they're using some skill that gives you a naturally high damage base value. It is NOT because they went full dex.

Going full dex basically ensures that your toon will not do good damage without weapon enchants/links/using uber skills.

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedMar 20, 2013 9:28 pm
On my ranger I duo with a priest & can tank and kill reds - but it's normally quicker to go for orange mobs as you kill far quicker there. Purples you just do too little damage because of the level difference.
I can certainly kill purples, but it takes way too long and it's quicker on lower mobs.

To deal tons of damage they would need a very highly enchanted weapon as well.
I would still dispute whether they are "full dex" because that term can be misleading. If they are full dex build but with lots of str linked into their gear, are they still full dex?

Telling your build only gives a small part of the story.
My ranger is level 52 I think and has around 600 dex, 450 luck, 600 str. I may have those figures a bit low, but it's around there. He grinds on Pando orange mobs.

RIP Kizzd