jeanius2

Rank 0
jeanius2
PostedJan 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Aeria.North Developer Diary: The Betaclysm

A fictional tale of survival
*A video camera flicks on, slowly fading from dim to the proper light focus. North looks into the camera*

January 16th, 2013; 5:00pm PST:
"It's finally come down to this. The developers, GM staff and I have finally come to agreement that today is the day our newest game, DK Online, will go into Open Beta. We'll be bringing the servers up in about an hour. Routine really, we've done this countless times before, I foresee no issues."

*North reaches over and flips the camera off. The voice-over guy from Discovery's, 'I Shouldn't Be Alive' begins to talk*

What seemed like a routine trip through the mundane task of beta transitions is anything but. North doesn't realize it yet, but him and his fellow co-workers will soon be in the Open Beta launch of their business lives. The following story takes place over three days on the harsh landscape of the internet, where the most unforgiving people in the world reside.

*Cuts to an interview-esque commentary of Aeria.North sitting in front of a camera, talking to someone seemingly off-screen.*

"Yeah well the day started off as any other. We knew we were going to launch DK Online into Open Beta today. We had prepared for it, but we never thought in a million years that things would of turned out as badly as they did. When I arrived at the office I saw that Taz was off in the lounge cracking his knuckles and stretching like he usually does every day. Someone offered him a cup of coffee but he scoffed at it, rambling about how bad it is for the body before grabbing a grape juice box from the vending machine and putting his lunch in the office fridge."

*The Narrators voice comes over once again*

Taz, preoccupied with what he would have to do for the day, forgot to place a sticky note to let everybody who ventured to the fridge that the tuna salad sandwich was his. An accident that will, in the coming hours will prove life-threatening.

*Cuts to Taz*

"I didn't think anything of it really. I mean my lunch comes earlier than everybody else for the most part. I usually come in to work, grab a can of punch or a box of juice then sit down at my desk, work a couple hours then have my lunch then go home a couple hours after that. Barely above part-time, you know?"

*The narrator speaks again*

Taz's day is usually spent with his fingers at his keyboard, starring blankly into his monitor spacing out, giving the impression that he is working when in all actuality, he is utilizing the skills he learned in the Military to sleep with his eyes open. He cannot see it now, but his fingers are going to be in for the workload of their lives, and he is going to have to utilize every knuckle crack in his hands to pull through it.

*A camera flickers back on, with Aeria.North looking into it, slightly off-put*

"January 16th, 2013; 6:46pm PST:

It's been over half an hour since the launch of Open Beta for DK Online officially started, and already we've encountered a problem. People have reported issues with a quest, and the growing number of complaints about not being able to log in are growing. People should know not to rush into the servers as soon as they open or things like this will happen. Of course, I can't say things like that, it would look bad not only on me but on the company. We're going to bring the servers down to fix the quest issue, hopefully the little reprieve will ease the log-in issues as well."

*Aeria.North sighs, reaching over to turn off the camera*

ACT I - The First Day

*The narrators voice plays over a scene of the growing chaos in the office*

It's now been two hours since the official launch time of DK Online's Open Beta, and with the servers still down, a flood of messages and topics begin filling the forums and shoutbox.

*TreishaSempai sits down in front of the interviewer*

"Well we were just as saddened as the regular players were when the servers were down. I may be a GS but I loved this game and was really looking forward to getting to play it along with everybody else. The rage and confusion in the Shoutbox was becoming uncontrollable. Codeux, Giovanna, Lady, a couple others and I all tried to keep the peace and keep chat as PG as possible, but it was difficult. With no word yet from any of the mods or developers on the current state of the situation, it was hard answering peoples questions we didn't have answers to. I was getting really tired of people asking me, or just completely telling me to be their girlfriend. Thankfully that is when Bob showed up. He's the kind of guy that can change the mood of any situation fairly easily."

*Cuts to Bob*

"When I came in the Shoutbox was a catastrophe. You could barely see what you were saying with all the spam demanding a response from the GM crew as to the current situation. My fellow GS tried keeping the peace but there is only so much a handful can do against an army of rage posts with no deletion privileges or a spam filter that's worth anything. Thankfully for me though around the time I came in people seemed to be settling down. I was curious myself when the servers were coming back up because I wanted to play with my friends. We had planned a whole all-nighter on launch, and now we were kind of stuck in our rooms with bags upon bags of food and sodas with no reason to use them."

*The narrator speaks again*

Four hours into the ordeal it appears that the constant wave of complaining seems to have calmed down. A majority of the players felt that the game wouldn't be back up until later the next day, so went to bed hoping the best. All the food that the GS crew had been collecting for this day was about to go to waste, and unfortunately for the developers who would desperately need that food and drink source to survive, they were simply too far away.

*The camera flickers on*

"January 17th, 2013; 12:20am PST:

It appears that the issue is bigger than we initially thought. We are trying our best to resolve the issue in time for the majority of the players to get to log on tomorrow. You can see the stress and anxiety on everyone's face, and feel the tension building in their muscles. The forums Shoutbox appears to have whittled down to just a few die-hards and the GS staff. I guess I should make an appearance to let people know we're at least aware of the issue and are working to fix it."

*Aeria.North let's out a long drawn sigh while stretching his neck*

"This is going to be a busy night. Taz is beginning to scare us, murmuring to himself something about eating gerbils or whatever. Someone ate his tuna salad sandwich and I think starvation is getting the better of him. Might have to order take-out if this gets any worse..."

ACT II - The Second Day

(Okay I think I typed a lot but I am not sure. If you guys find it funny I can continue but I think this is good enough to start with Smile )
Advertisement

deatheater59

Rank 5
deatheater59
PostedJan 18, 2013 9:49 pm
Quite funny but we do have a section. For stuff like this.Please keep that in mind next time.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

gmebilfish

GameMaster: USA
gmebilfish
PostedFeb 17, 2013 5:25 pm
Thought I left a comment here before ;/ hmm. I shared this with North awhile back and he loved it ^^

blackdragon214

Rank 1
blackdragon214
PostedFeb 18, 2013 5:19 pm
free time someone has lots of it
and you good at writing you should write a book

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You will find me there, staring out at you!

RadrimSor

Rank 0
PostedMar 14, 2013 9:25 pm
It was actually pretty hilarious not to many people can summarize a narrative out of a days work like that lol fiction or not it was entertaining looking forward to Act 2

Arsalem

Rank 1
Arsalem
PostedApr 13, 2013 11:10 am
A masterpiece

Courtesy of Emralyn, Lalaheat & filipvarga <br> GL- LucidDream