shiinkouro

Rank 0
PostedFeb 20, 2013 12:40 am

Are bards out classed at higher levels?

Your opinion: In higher level trials(60+), do you look forward to having a bard in party? are they on par with cleric or shaman? anything else you like to add about this class.

Just wondering because bard class skills do not scale with anything, might become obsolete at level cap.
Advertisement

aquaXpop

Rank 0
aquaXpop
PostedFeb 20, 2013 1:21 am
i prefer to have shammy/cleric. bard +lv60 is mostly used for its sleep immunity for some dgns/trials... other than that... idk xD

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedFeb 20, 2013 3:52 am
At lvl 60+, like the person above me said, bards are mainly used in only certain trials for 1 specific song that grants sleep immunity. Some bosses are essentially impossible to beat without a bard for that reason. Other than that, you don't see many bards in end-game pve. The buffs they grant are helpful, but not necessary for the completion of a dungeon or trial.

In special cases, you might see players taking a bard along to complete a dungeon with less players than normal (Ex: say a couple of level 65 players want to run a lvl 60 dungeon, and cleric level heals aren't needed; the bard would be capable of healing the party while granting the helpful buffs). This kinda thing would usually happen within a group of friends or guildies (you wouldnt see someone in peer asking for a bard duo).

Other than that, at the high levels people generally prefer to have 1 (or 2 max) healers in a party (usually a cleric), to free up spaces to add in as many dps as possible. People want to run dungeons quickly, and would usually gladly trade the buffs a bard gives for another dps. Since bards cannot give the level of aoe healing a cleric or shaman can give, they (usually) cannot serve as the only healing class in the party. If a bard is needed, an under-geared bard that is able to spam the 1 song (sleep immunity) will do.

End-game pvp, on the other hand, is a different story. In the arenas, a bard can either be helpful or generally not impact the match much. It honestly depends on the teams. It also depends on what kind of gear the bard is packing. I've seen some bards carry a team thru healing, and others carrying by dpsing. I've also seen bards drop in seconds and hardly help the team much at all.

In territory wars, organized parties usually prefer to have a bard (in addition to the other healer or healers). The buffs bards grant become much more appreciated when a party is facing many opponents. Any bard with high cast speed can fill this role, but the best bards have high defensive stats (eva, parry, resistances) to help keep them alive longer and thus support the party the best they can. Having a bard in a party won't make or break a war, but it will help the party members a lot. A bard still won't match the direct aoe healing of a cleric or shaman, but the buffs can make a huge difference in the stats of the other members.

SapphireMiku

Rank 1
SapphireMiku
PostedFeb 20, 2013 9:26 am

Your opinion: In higher level trials(60+), do you look forward to having a bard in party? are they on par with cleric or shaman? anything else you like to add about this class.  

Mmm on par with cleric or shaman Question
That's really like comparing apples with oranges. Late game, bards are not so much the same as their cleric and shaman healing counterparts.

A healing cleric/shaman is a staple to a party, because the party NEEDS some sort of healing to finish a dungeon. Bards on the other hand; their true role lies in buff support, rather than healing. You don't NEED buffs to finish a trial, but are they worthwhile? Yes.

Back when I was a newbie bard Surprised , people were often surprised that I chose to use bard instead of healing or DPS. Most people didn't see the point in a buff that only lasted a short duration, but as I've progressed; I've seen a much different perspective now. Especially in late game now, people have begun to "see the light" in terms of the benefits of support.

Back in the days of 60 and 65 cap, people often wanted to push towards maximum crit rate. You'd often see people trying to get 80-100% mcrit/crit rate on their own (with procs), so they could crit without the need of anyone else. However since the transition to 70 and 75 cap, people have started to realize that you can fork out much more DPS by lowering your crit rate (to like 70%) and focusing on damage directly (such as mattack/pattack procs), and letting a support bard fill your gaps to reach 100% crits.

Between crit rate buffs, song of illusion, burning metal, music of life, concerto, and attack damage songs; if you can play all these songs in cycle and keep them all active, a bard is generally considered to be equal to .5 healer AND 1 DPS for a party.

There are alot of of people who dislike bards simply because the benefit they provide isn't visibly seen by stats on the examine screen. There are also those who have had bad experiences with bards who don't really offer 100% support. But I will say that "good" bards can really make a huge impact; both in dungeons and PvP late game.

It all depends on who you ask really. Some people will scoff at bards, and others swear by them. But I certainly see them as being useful, even late game.

Nuxley

Rank 0
Nuxley
PostedFeb 20, 2013 4:18 pm
Bards are the pinnacle to every class needs. I think you've underestimated what a Bard has to offer, especially with a Blade Dancer.

starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedFeb 28, 2013 5:52 am
I'm level 46 with 39 bard and i heal better than a lot of the clerics and shamans i've seen at my level >.>; (i actually heal instead of thinking "oh the tank is dying lets holy smite some more e.e") It depends purely on which bard you're speaking to.

As mentioned by SapphireMiku a true support bard will be the crux of your damage, allowing you to focus on your damage while they fill in your crit rate, then you have a defense buff, an aoe dot that drops enemies defense by a staggering chunk and aoe heals.. then a buff that increases the effectiveness of both themselves and other healers.. who would not want one? I'm often asked to swap to bard when im levelling my other classes, especially in venin atm.

Be good to a bard and a bard will be good to you.
Be a good bard, and everyone will be good to you.

hellangel911

Rank 0
PostedFeb 28, 2013 2:37 pm
With new skills added, a bard is deadly. I'm a main bard myself, and if you build it right, you can keep up buffs and do decent dps, tho not comparable to that of a Mage or BD, still it's a lot of dps you can do even as a buffer.

Angie-AB-Sapphire

FireTalon

Rank 1
PostedMar 10, 2013 12:08 am
I i agree with above about bards being underestimated.
Not only their aoe greatly lowers def, they can also boost dmg and defenses of the party...
I say bards are incredibly useful and essential for a smooth run, without them it's just dragging ur feet, possibly with a few casualties along the way.
The 12 sec buffs in which ppl don't seem to "see reason" have almost no cooldown and can be constantly buffed by the bard to keep them up, i reckon it was made this way to make bard work his money.
So yeah.. gl if you continue looking down on bards, we'll sing a song for you when u kick the bucket in a dungeon Very Happy

starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedMar 21, 2013 4:59 am
I like that pun. That brightened up my day. xDD

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedMar 21, 2013 9:08 am
A simple, short answer: Yes.

They are very outclassed, they're never needed except for when there is a sleep-inducing boss/monster.

I mean sure, as a tank I do love the song of illusion a lot but is it necessary? Not really. Is MoL necessary? Nope, Healing Radiance/Drops of Heaven does better. Are the dmg/crit+ buffs essential? Not at all.

So yes, it's outclassed and not needed. People who say otherwise are lying to themselves.