Serbstriker

Rank 0
PostedDec 15, 2012 10:59 pm

In need of Cleric Build Advice

May have screwed up my character
Hello,

I'm new here, only been playing for a week, and as the title suggests, I need a bit of help with my cleric. Currently, I'm level 17 with a level 16 cleric. I usually take extreme care with my build, but on this game I looked around a few threads, and saw that cast speed was important for a healer, so I put some 9 Knowledge points in "Zealot Doctrine" the talent that gives you +1% cast speed each level. Now, you've probably figured it out, but I recently found that KP in cast speed are a waste as that stat can be acquired through gear and other things. So, my first question is, as a memory tome is out of the question at this point, should I start my character over, or just deal with it and maybe go for a memory tome later? I'd hate repeating content so soon, but I'd be willing to if this is something bad.

My second question is about the actual build. I'm aware that there are two main builds for Cleric, Wisdom/G-Heal and Mcrit Rate/Mcrit Dmg. The second one originally appealed to me most as I rolled a Crackshot Halfkin (For the reason that I thought it would make a good mage as well as a good cleric). But I hear that Mcrit Rate/Mcrit Dmg Clerics are more expensive, difficult and less overall safe than the Wisdom/G-Heal variety. So while these Mcrit Rate/Mcrit Dmg seem better late game, early game the Wisdom/G-heal would be easier.

So, I see a few possibilities here and this is where I'd really appreciate some more experienced advice. Would it be possible to continue my current Cleric, just build him Wis/G-heal and re-spec later into a Mcrit rate/Mcrit dmg build? Or would I be fine building him Mcrit Rate/Mcrit-dmg from the beginning, despite the Cast Speed points.

Also, if I chose to re-roll, should I do so as a Crackshot Halfkin? As the trait fits a lot of the magic classes and I really like the benefits the race gives to most classes. For a Wis/G-heal Cleric, I know that an Anuran would be best, but I don't like their bonuses elsewhere. Note that if I do re-roll, I'd be building Wis/g-heal for the beginning at least. How important are heroic traits really? Because I would like to play some tanking classes (mainly knight) in the future and Crackshot would not really help at all. But that's thinking a bit too far ahead anyway.

That's all for now, sorry about all the writing and all the questions. I'd really appreciate some help though. Thanks in advance! Very Happy
Advertisement

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedDec 15, 2012 11:43 pm
Whether or not you reroll your character now is up to you. Putting points into cast speed kp is by no means going to destroy your cleric. If you plan on switching from g-heal cleric to mcrit cleric late game, I would suggest treating your kp like this:

- Stop adding points into cast speed
- Add 15 lvls into g-healing. The wis build and mcrit build for kp both have g-healing in them.
-Add 5 lvls into the sacred breath kp and 5 lvls into the enlightenment kp
- Add 1 point into Divine Knowledge.
- Add 5 lvls into Healing Hands and 1 lvl into Prophecy research.

At this point you will have used 42 points. That, plus the 13 points you already used would put your cleric at lvl 55 and closer to the end-game when you would start building for an mcrit healer. You could buy a memory tome then (since you could afford it by then) or just keep going until you were lvl 70 to respec. It's up to you.

If you do remake your character, crack shot halfkin is a good path for mcrit healing and for magic dps. Hero traits are easy to change later if you change your mind. And actually, luck traits can help tanks as well. Luck increases crit rate, mcrit rate, and accuracy, so it would help your tank's overall dps, which helps in keeping aggro from mobs.

Serbstriker

Rank 0
PostedDec 16, 2012 12:46 am
Thank you very much for the help Raedrin! That was exactly what I needed and I really appreciate it.

I guess I won't reroll my character, and I'll follow your recommendations with the KP.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedDec 16, 2012 10:24 am   Last edited by katashi65 on Dec 16, 2012 10:51 am. Edited 1 time in total
Other advice I can give you is to start working on endgame as soon as you can. Now, I'm not telling you to farm like crazy on low level mobs for gold to buy level 60+ gear, but bear in mind what certificates you want to use and what armor you want to aim for endgame. Riding on free quest armor is what I suggest until level 50-60 where it starts becoming worth it to invest in crafted stuff.

If you see rings or necklaces drop with 2-3 types of elemental resist, keep them! As soon as you hit level 60, you start being bombarded with pretty high power boss AoE even as healer, and bosses will sometimes use attacks that hit a random target regardless of aggro. The cool thing about elemental resists on accessories is that the amount you get from a level 23 ring is the same flat 8% bonus that you would see on a level 63 ring, etc. Bear in mind, these are only a temporary emergency measure, though. Eventually, you want to complete some Legendary Achievements for crafting to boost your base elemental resists and collect some certificates for it, but until you do, swapping rings around on any class can help as a handicap, especially if bosses keep wiping the healer/dps with strong elemental AoE. However, it's understandable that one might have limited bag space early in the game, so try not to keep ones with overlapping effects or with too few resistances. Also, there is a necklace from Avila Volcano (Fame chest) that gives 8% Fire resist and 5% of all other elemental resists. This one is handy since it A) gives more Fire resist than any other necklace B) is very versatile and C) can be archived and taken out anytime to conserve bag space. If you have inventory problems and can't afford to expand your bag, only keep the best of rings and capes (be picky by requiring 3 elemental resists).

And for Legendary Achievements, if you have gold for it, try to complete the ones most pertinent to your class choice, but balance with cost and level. For example, crafting necklaces might give one of the stronger effects (flat 3% bonus to Atk Speed and Cast Speed for the first two levels and 4% for the third) but costs a lot. So maybe craft the listed level 1-30 necklaces and wait until you have more gold to finish up. Starting with all the basic achievements such as 1-30 of each armor and 1-30 for maces is really easy (actually, collecting the 1-30 mining materials, summoning materials, and farming materials might be even easier) so it's good to start there. However, the 1-50 achievements start to become quite daunting and wallet draining, so pick carefully which ones you do and at what level you do it (gold comes easier at levels 45, 51, 55, 59, and 62 where new dungeons one can spam solo become available). When you decide to shift towards M-Crit healing, make sure to do ring crafting for 5% Crit Dmg/M-Crit Dmg each level.

Also plan your certificates. You might need to branch out a bit to get all the certificates you need, such as playing Mage to unlock Illusionist and Warlock, in turn playing those two classes to obtain Cast Speed and Crit Dmg certificates. Shaman is particularly important (and particularly irritating) to level since you get elemental resist, M-Crit Dmg, and Cast Speed certificates from leveling it. My best suggestion is to try to sneak into parties as Shaman and heal for them, because leveling Shaman by beating mobs . . . it's almost painful unless you have really strong magic. And even then it's slow at best. Bard and Mage give M-Crit Rate, which you can use early or later since you might want to dabble in dealing damage as Cleric when you reach level 40, or if you feel Holy Smite is too slow to cast practically at that level, about level 60. Cleric using Holy Smite is a high damage, stunlocking threat that can be used in both PvE and PvP. I'll let you see what it looks like on your own instead of trying to describe battle Cleric since words are hard to do it justice. However, this is totally up to you since if you're a dedicated healer, leveling up in parties is fine too (though please pamper your Shaman starting early on; you'll need it leveled to 60 minimum for all the certificates you need). Note that Templar gives elemental resist from its level 20 and level 50 certificates. It's up to you whether you feel comfortable leveling Templar, but if you train both Knight and Cleric, you will unlock it easily and Crack Shot is the suggested trait for Templar anyway since it is heavily magic based. One more reason to level many classes is for Class Expertise. For each level of Class Expertise you reach, important stats like HP/MP, P-Atk/M-Atk, and G-Healing receive a passive boost. This is the game's way of rewarding players who take advantage of the class switching mechanic to the fullest.

I'm sure you've read this somewhere, but I just wanted to give one more final warning about M-Crit healing. True crit healing NOT something to be taken lightly, and it isn't simply switching from Wis/G-Heal to M-Crit Rate/M-Crit Dmg. It's like keeping most of your strong base heal from Wis, but becoming slightly more reliant on G-Heal, then overreaching your previous boundaries and stretching your abilities to encompass M-Crit Rate as well. In other words, it takes a lot of this: $$$$$$$$ and time to gather certificates, trophies, gear, etc.

What to do now: Considering which classes to train and work on basic Legendary Achievements 1-30. Maybe collect resist accessories.

What to do later: Finish Legendary Achievements slowly but steadily, actually train classes for certificates, and find a way to make lots of gold.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedDec 16, 2012 10:36 am
By the way, this guide has a hugely comprehensive list of gear and suggested combinations thereof.* It's aimed at Shaman, but gear-wise, Cleric and Shaman are built largely similarly. This is just something to come back and and look at later when you are searching for gear.

Ultimate Shaman Guide

*If you can't read some of the yellow listed items, just highlight them.

Serbstriker

Rank 0
PostedDec 16, 2012 8:42 pm
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all that out. I't's already been extremely helpful and I'm sure it'll continue to as I make my way through the game. I don't think I've come across any gear with elemental resist, but I'll make sure to save it when I do. I'll also see what I can do about Legendary Achievements next time I log in, I haven't done any crafting yet.

As for the certificates, I'm actually looking forward to that part as It'll give me a bit of a break from Cleric and Mage. I'm just a bit worried as to where I can find decent gear for the tanking classes as I can only choose one type of armour as quest rewards.

And thank you for the warning about M-Crit healing, I'll be cautious when swapping and try to be as best prepared as possible. The list of gear will come in very handy later as well.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedDec 16, 2012 8:59 pm
Serbstriker wrote:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all that out. I't's already been extremely helpful and I'm sure it'll continue to as I make my way through the game. I don't think I've come across any gear with elemental resist, but I'll make sure to save it when I do. I'll also see what I can do about Legendary Achievements next time I log in, I haven't done any crafting yet.

As for the certificates, I'm actually looking forward to that part as It'll give me a bit of a break from Cleric and Mage. I'm just a bit worried as to where I can find decent gear for the tanking classes as I can only choose one type of armour as quest rewards.

And thank you for the warning about M-Crit healing, I'll be cautious when swapping and try to be as best prepared as possible. The list of gear will come in very handy later as well.  

The elemental resist gear isn't vital, only useful for when you come across a boss who's doing more damage to you than you'd like. Accessories with 3 different types of resist are pretty rare finds, so you don't want to wait until level 60 to realize, "Oh crap, this boss keeps 1-shotting me and I can't do anything about it" as healer. I suggest grabbing 2-3 good blue rings if you have the space. If you don't, there are some orange rings that carry one type of elemental resist (usually from Fame chests) that you can buy and archive to not waste a slot in your bag. Over time, even if you buy only the gear you need, you might find lots of resist archived away . . .

Legendary Achievements have a big impact, but weren't always around and are just another long-term goal sort of thing. Some players ignore them completely, then around level 60-70, they just go and start completing them rapidly.

Oh, I forgot to mention that hunting down rare monsters as listed in your Legendary Achievement page is the cheapest achievement possible and grants you permanent Exp/CP boosts. Consider completing those as soon as you reach level 30, 50, and 65 to make speed up your leveling (every small boost helps).

You can grab the healer quest gear and just use dropped tanking gear for a while. Blue ones are preferred for higher defense stats, and if you feel you have the gold, you can buy orange healing armor and snag the blue quest tanking armor.

katashi65 (Lv 90) - Obsidian - 100% Crit Rate is just enough

animecutiechan

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
animecutiechan
PostedMar 07, 2013 6:19 pm
Where should the extra points go in the KP?

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedMar 08, 2013 12:50 am
What kind of cleric are you building? Wis/g-heal. mcrit healing, or dps cleric?

I've pasted some kp builds I've written on other posts.

Some KP builds:

Cleric: Mcrit healer (relies on high mcrit rate to make heals crit for more):
-15 lvls exegesis (mcrit rate)
-15 lvls evangelical theory (g-healing)
-5 lvls sacred breath (bonus to purifying wind)
-5 lvls enlightenment (bonus to healing radiance)
-5 lvls healing hands (bonus to divine light)
- 1 lvl prophecy research (bonus to hard truth buff)
-1 lvl divine knowledge (bonus to light blessing buff)
- X lvls into hymnal (mcrit dmg) <--- put points here as needed. I would wait until you get an armor set, enchants, glyphs, certs, etc to start putting points here. If you need more than the 3 points left over, take a lvl or 2 out of G-healing. It is possible to achieve 3.00 mcrit dmg without putting any points at all into mcrit dmg. Keep that in mind.

Cleric - dps (build fully centered on dealing damage)

-20 lvls exegesis
-X lvls hymnal
-1 lvl divine knowledge
-10 lvls shield defense
-5 lvls holy smite
-5 lvls light's sanction
If you have extra points after that, put them into elightenment (since you'll use it as a self heal) or g-healing, to boost your crit heal levels. You could also put points for skill dmg into g-healing if you feel that you won't get much of a boost from that.

Wis/g-heal healing:

15 lvls wisdom
15 lvls g-healing
5 lvls pwind > 5 lvls healing radiance
5 lvls healing hands > 1 lvls hard truth
1 lvl light blessing buff

This will give you 8 extra points. Just add them into wis or g-healing. If you'd prefer, you can also take the points out of enlightenment to put into wis/g-healing as well.

Do not put points into cast speed for any build. The bonus to cast speed that KP gives is hardly worth it at all. It does not give a static bonus, it only adds to what you already had. For example, if you start with 400 cast speed and put 10 lvls into cast speed, you will get 40 cast speed, for a total of 440. 40 cast speed is hardly anything at all.