DarkSythe800

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2013 9:20 am

Caps Lock

Hey guys! So ima make this quick, what's the deal with the caps lock in Eden eternal? In other games (mainly thinking of PWI) people always use the caps lock. I am wondering what the huge problem is because appears y a GS said consider yourself banned when I posted a world call in all caps so people's eyes would be drawn to the text. (And to make my friend laugh with a silly world call) So I ask you guys, what's your problem with it? Please do not give a one sentence offensive response!

Posted By Aeria Mobile
Advertisement

Short_Amigo

Rank 4
Short_Amigo
PostedMar 04, 2013 9:32 am
It's under User Conduct in the Terms of Service.

Terms of Service wrote:
7. User Conduct

You must observe these terms, all applicable laws and also basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. AGE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.
You agree not to take any of the following actions:

(l) Impede the flow of chat in game, in forums, or in chat rooms with vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or AGE employees;  

Terms of Service which can be found at the bottom of the forums, which has been agreed to when making an account on Aeria Games.

Basically the main point of it is etiquette for the fellow player.

DarkSythe800

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2013 9:39 am
But that's the thing, I was not spamming at all. In fact, the message was quite short.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

Short_Amigo

Rank 4
Short_Amigo
PostedMar 04, 2013 9:55 am
DarkSythe800 wrote:
But that's the thing, I was not spamming at all. In fact, the message was quite short.  

Well that's just the rule in general. How to enforce it is another thing:

How to interpret the rule is what causes trouble. Basically there will be some GSes who like to keep it up tight and stop caps before they even start becoming a nuisance and warn (proactive) or they are laid back and will wait till it gets unbearable and react trying to shut it down (reactive).

Sometimes depending on who it is or the situation, one approach is better then the other. Now I don't know the circumstances as to why you were warned if it was just you or whatever, I can't say. My suggestion would be to just contact the GS that warned you to get an idea of why they warned you for only using all caps once.

Personally if it's done once in a while and not everyone else follows suit, it's no big deal. Otherwise, would step in if other people tend to be starting to go all caps too or if you kept at continuing with caps.

My 2 cents on the matter.

DarkSythe800

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2013 9:59 am
Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try to contact him as soon as possible.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

Short_Amigo

Rank 4
Short_Amigo
PostedMar 04, 2013 10:00 am
DarkSythe800 wrote:
Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try to contact him as soon as possible.  

No problem. Just trying to give a point of view from a GS' standpoint. Godspeed.

GMObspho

GameMaster: USA
GMObspho
PostedMar 04, 2013 11:28 pm
Short_Amigo summed it up perfectly in his response. It's not that we have an issue with caps lock per se. The key phrase is excessive use of caps. The problem comes with the interpretation of that phrase however- how much is too much? A good rule of thumb to go by is- are caps necessary for your sentence?

It's one thing for caps being used to show emotion (LOL, or AWESOME!), or to provide emphasis (I LOVE the new patch!), and it's completely different when they're being used in a more disruptive manner (WTS EDEN CRYSTAL AND SAFETY STONES).

As Short_Amigo said...this rule is often fairly open to interpretation, and sometimes people have different views of what's "disruptive". If you feel there shouldn't have been an issue with something you said, you are welcome to privately discuss the issue with the GS, if you truly feel it is necessary.

Hope this helps. Please caps responsibly.