katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedFeb 06, 2013 6:13 am
I usually have a good tank keeping aggro for 70 and S Trials, but for when I tank 65 Trials as Samurai, I have absolutely no investment in bulk. Seriously. 3 Resistance aside from 11 Holy. I use the 4 R-DPS cert combo (Crit Dmg, Luck, Attack Speed, Crit Rate), an additional R-DPS cert (Movement Speed), and Crit Dmg + Crit Rate from melee dps.

To make a long story short, if the healer knows how to heal and get around the troublesome effects of the bosses, I live. Physically, my bulk as Samurai just from a mix of +4 and +5 orange armor (I have body at +6 however) is enough for me to take the hits and if there's anything I'm missing, it's certainly the elemental resistance.

I'm not saying I'm a great tank, but it would not take an overhaul of the "traditional" full dps build to make an effective 2-hander tank. An easy place to work on for me would be doing Legendary Achievements for resists since I only have 1-30 done and stacking some more Eva since I'm sitting only on 32%. I have half as much Parry, but this was intentional.

Advertisement

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 20, 2013 10:17 pm
Okay, with the new arcane box system in place, other people can use accessories with the stats I have with general ease.

I did like, 3-4 changes on a blue necklace and got slash/strike/ice.
I'm not sure how the odds look, but the mats to change stats are VERY easy to collect. (takes about 14 to reforge one time, failing doesn't make you lose the item, you get like, 7-10 mats from one trash drop)

Though I do have to say: This is much easier than hunting monsters over and over hoping for the blue ring with the right stats to drop.

If a few people do this on 60+ tradable rings, it would be really nice for collecting at least one ring in each elemental resist, since you could trade them with others who have the same goal. (like, trade slash/strike/thunder for slash/strike/fire)

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedFeb 21, 2013 1:07 am
Millumi wrote:
Okay, with the new arcane box system in place, other people can use accessories with the stats I have with general ease.

I did like, 3-4 changes on a blue necklace and got slash/strike/ice.
I'm not sure how the odds look, but the mats to change stats are VERY easy to collect. (takes about 14 to reforge one time, failing doesn't make you lose the item, you get like, 7-10 mats from one trash drop)

Though I do have to say: This is much easier than hunting monsters over and over hoping for the blue ring with the right stats to drop.

If a few people do this on 60+ tradable rings, it would be really nice for collecting at least one ring in each elemental resist, since you could trade them with others who have the same goal. (like, trade slash/strike/thunder for slash/strike/fire)  

This looks good. I'm gonna try for gathering some resist gear in Sturm.

KnightoftheLion

Rank 0
KnightoftheLion
PostedFeb 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Physical Resistance Guide

Millumi wrote:

Now, this tanking style is primarily PvE, so if you are going to do it, I suggest using only slash resistance and strike resistance because monsters don't have bows.
With the 70% defense cap, and high physical resistance, most of the damage you take will be reduced to a level where healers can handle it regardless of how low your evasion and block are.
I use this build and it has worked fine inside of any dungeon I've gone in, and I only have 26% evasion and 42% block.

Out of curiosity, since you've said this is primarily PvE build, you therefore recommend using Slash and Strike resist. But how would you know if a monster has STRIKE, SLASH attacks? I would understand some bosses have elem damage, base on skill description (ex. deals FIRE DMG on 30feet area) some just deals certain DMG might be physical since no element in description but how would you know which one?

Would it be something like Salvio is slash type since he carries katana? or Ketak as strike since he wields Hammer? But how about those beast/dragon/other creature like Aquan,Jiro,Miller etc.? Or would it be based on their breakpoints?

I'm looking at Slash Strike Gems effectiveness in a PvE environment. Care to enlighten me about this build?

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 27, 2013 9:27 am
There isn't a way to tell besides weapons, I usually assume beast types and things that aren't holding a weapon are strike type.

KnightoftheLion

Rank 0
KnightoftheLion
PostedFeb 27, 2013 6:13 pm
Millumi wrote:
There isn't a way to tell besides weapons, I usually assume beast types and things that aren't holding a weapon are strike type.  

so this is all but assumption? hmm...... Laughing

wouldn't it be something like this?
[Monster's Raw ATK + Elemental ATK (if any)] - [Your Damage Reduction+Element RESIST(if any)] = Monster's DMG Dealt.

Monster's raw damage meaning, neither strike nor slash nor pierce. Regardless of what weapon they use to carry, they just deal raw damage+element(if any). Weapons on them are just visual representation. This is what I always believed in.

Since this issue with slash,strike,pierce in PvE somewhat interests us, and as you've said you "assume" beast types fall under STRIKE, my guildie had to test if Hunter's Tiger would fall into one of this category but sadly, his tiger cant break a miniboss. Not slash/strike/pierce. So why would I bring this up with a summoned tiger? Well to show that "UNLESS STATED" monsters just do Raw DMG. Same with Mecha Jins, Falcons, and Behelders. Pets (dogs,cats,birds,dragons,kitsus,etc) however, can break since its attack attribute is defined.

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 27, 2013 9:52 pm
I'm pretty sure that's probably just a problem that occurs with summoned pets, and has nothing to do with the actual damage types of monsters.

If you want to test and see what damage types monsters do, the only surefire way is comparison of damage when you have 0 resist and 50% resist and some amount of def, with multiple types. An easy way to get equips to test is getting basic accessories(search for 'secured', 'fortified', and 'careful' to get something with only the phys resist) and potions(you can make them in aven)

Anyhow, I think strike is the 'default' type normally. If you unequip your weapon, you do strike damage, also, shields count as blunt(strike) type weapons even though they aren't really weapons.

KnightoftheLion

Rank 0
KnightoftheLion
PostedFeb 27, 2013 11:56 pm
Millumi wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's probably just a problem that occurs with summoned pets, and has nothing to do with the actual damage types of monsters.  

How can you be sure? proof?

Millumi wrote:

If you want to test and see what damage types monsters do, the only surefire way is comparison of damage when you have 0 resist and 50% resist and some amount of def, with multiple types. An easy way to get equips to test is getting basic accessories(search for 'secured', 'fortified', and 'careful' to get something with only the phys resist) and potions(you can make them in aven)

Would love to see a proof of this study of yours. Care to share more? screenies/videos?

Millumi wrote:

Anyhow, I think strike is the 'default' type normally. If you unequip your weapon, you do strike damage, also, shields count as blunt(strike) type weapons even though they aren't really weapons.  

So basically a player by default (barehands) falls upon strike. But the thing is, compared to monsters, players can equip/unequip/change equip, monsters dont. The weapons you see them wield is just a VISUAL REPRESENTATION and isnt affected by any attack attributes isn't it?

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 28, 2013 8:32 am
It's kind of hard to prove alone, I can only reduce my phys resists to so low, and the numbers can be randomized, also, monsters that hit hard enough to show a really big difference are hard to get to without pulling a bunch of **** that messes with it.

Though I will tell you this, I once found a monster with pierce type damage that held an axe and did high damage. I reported it as a glitch. The mob was a guy in basel border. The only reason I found out was that the damage was high and unchanged by my slash and strike resistance, but was affected by pierce.

eir00

Rank 0
PostedFeb 28, 2013 11:41 am
Millumi wrote:
It's kind of hard to prove alone, I can only reduce my phys resists to so low, and the numbers can be randomized, also, monsters that hit hard enough to show a really big difference are hard to get to without pulling a bunch of **** that messes with it.

Though I will tell you this, I once found a monster with pierce type damage that held an axe and did high damage. I reported it as a glitch. The mob was a guy in basel border. The only reason I found out was that the damage was high and unchanged by my slash and strike resistance, but was affected by pierce.  

Using strong monsters in unlimited dungeons will be a good proof for damage variation for resists. I hope that someone volunteer as healer to have this test. I'd be waiting for the results Smile