DizzyFoxkit

Rank 0
DizzyFoxkit
PostedJan 31, 2011 9:46 pm   Last edited by DizzyFoxkit on Mar 26, 2013 9:03 pm. Edited 7 times in total

Running GF in Ubuntu

a step by step of how to get GF running in ubuntu.
Disclaimer: GF doesn't run nearly as well in Linux as in Windows, so unless your diehard set on running this game or have no other choice then continue reading Smile EDIT:Ignore this, this was before i had done a lot of WINE forum stalking to get mobs and chars to render.
Edit 2: my bad about forgetting the ppa line for wine :/... might be a good idea to inlcude.
Edit 3: I apologize to all those who got the VM error message. The tutorial has now been updated to go around that. You don't have to hack your wine or GF version.
OPTION #1
1.go to system,administration, update manager, settings :if you don't know how to get to software sources in 10.10 (10.04 users and before, it should just be in your system, administration menu.)

2. click Add on the left and put in this ppa line: ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

3. close and reload your update manager

5. install WINE
go to here to grab wine. You can grab either 1.2.4 or 1.3 Either one works. One is just more buggy with other programs.

6. Download Grand Fantasia,
DO NOT download GF from AeriaGames, wine will not run the downloader from there. A good place to get GF from is http://www.bigdownload.com/games/grand-fantasia/pc/grand-fantasia-install-client/
This will redirect you to JoyStick, it will still give you the installation file for Grand Fantasia.
Another site to grab the file from is http://www.gamershell.com/download_69966.shtml

7. Install GF
When the file finishes downloading, rightclick it and click Open with Windows Program Loader.

8. Go through the install procces and place the folder where you want it.

8.5: you must configure Wine.
Go to Wine, Configure Wine, click on the graphics tab, and uncheck Pixle Shaders. Else mobs, Chars, and ground won't fully render.

9. Go to Applications, Wine, Programs, AeriaGames, GrandFantasia, and click grandfantasia

10. Let the Application update, then click start.

11. Log in, and your good to go.

Option #2
Take the GrandFantasia folder from a Windows computer (generally located in C:\\Program Files\AeriaGames\GrandFantasia) and put it somewhere on you computer, create a link to GrandFantasia.exe. and rightclick that link and select Open With Windows Program Loader. You still need wine installed and configured so follow steps 1-5 and 8.5

If you want, i'll edit this and put in some gameplay pictures to show how much of GF works

Edit 4: Date; 3/26/2013

In order to keep people from necroposting. If you have any questions about how to run GrandFantasia Via Linux. Please send me a private message with the following.

Your linux version
Your wine version
Any error messages or in game 'glitches' (such as characters or mobs not rendering) if you have a picture of the glitch. Send that in the pm as well. Thank you.
Advertisement

Xterio0930

Rank 0
PostedApr 25, 2011 6:17 pm
This looks good! I'm in installing it right now! Thank you if all goes well. Very Happy

coleroht

Rank 0
coleroht
PostedApr 27, 2011 5:22 pm

ubuntu not runing df

hello i instold the gf in my pc but dosent start it gets black i downt now wath to do help please Crying or Very sad

DizzyFoxkit

Rank 0
DizzyFoxkit
PostedJun 17, 2011 8:59 am
@Coleroht, if you could send me a pm with more specific details along with what release of Ubuntu your using, or if you could fit that into a reply even better Smile. Also what are you wine configs, such as your wine version, details in video.

@Xtrerio0930, tell me how it goes since Linux and Windows seem to hate one another with a passion.

RLLB

Rank 0
RLLB
PostedJul 07, 2011 10:34 am

Themida, the idiots

Doesn't work. protected from running on a virtual machine
Unfortunately, everything works fine until you press start after the program has finished updating. Then, you get a small error box saying "sorry, this program cannot run under a virtual machine". The box is titled Themida, so i looked them up on the internet:
This is the Themida site. Seems Aeria Games used obfuscation technology, and that particular piece of technology stops virtual machines as well. In short, it's a complete waste of time.

Sing forth, the song that is our pledge between us. The song is a pledge. The song is an embodiment of pleasure. The song is an embodiment of power. Thus, sing forth... the shape of your soul.

DizzyFoxkit

Rank 0
DizzyFoxkit
PostedAug 06, 2011 4:27 pm
the reason why your probably being stopped by Themida is that your Wine version isn't up to date. up until recently, wine was recognized as a VM yes. But they fixed that with version 1.2.4 I think... So if your using that and up you should be fine. ON SECOND THOUGHT... I need to fix some information then... @RLLB uninstall Wine from the software center. I think its Waaay outdated and that you need to go here for a more recent version. I'll fix the turorial :/

Megumigoose

Rank 0
PostedDec 08, 2011 12:28 pm
I have the same error(Themida won't allow because of a "virtual machine")-- And I have the latest Wine.

Please help?

celestar

Rank 5.1
celestar
PostedDec 23, 2011 9:09 am
Megumigoose wrote:
I have the same error(Themida won't allow because of a "virtual machine")-- And I have the latest Wine.

Please help?  

interesting, i've no issue with GF on wine

running custom built wine 1.3.28 on fc12 x86_64. Run GF without any issue.

...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. (Monty Python)

xmushymellowx

Rank 0
PostedFeb 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Problem

Help!!
i have done all ur steps but it didnt turn out well becuz i cant see the chara's and the sprite
and the sound is very bad

and i would like to send u photos and see how it looks

also i will show u what wine program im using

so if there is anyway i can show them to u please let me know

thank you.

cmartly48

Rank 0
cmartly48
PostedFeb 16, 2013 7:29 pm
This topic is over a year old. Please do not necro old threads.