hobolegend

Rank 0
PostedJan 25, 2013 11:41 am

New player, curious what role is most needed?

Hello, I recently decided to try eden eternal out again since I quit right after beta, and I was hopeful if any experienced players could answer my question. I understand that I can have as many classes I want to have on my character, but I wanted my first class to be the role I want to stick with.
My problem is that I have a tough time choosing what role I play, I enjoy DPS classes, I enjoy healing, and I'm a sucker for the shield and sword, and my question is which one is usually in the most demand for dungeons and raids? (assuming end game has raids that is)
Thank you if you can help.
Advertisement

XD12141

Rank 0
XD12141
PostedJan 25, 2013 1:14 pm
Though I'm not an expert on this, I'll give you a general idea of the more important roles.

Defense- Knights/Warriors are pretty much the same, depends on how you build it and the dungeons/trials. If there's a boss with sleep go Knight, boss or mob with fear, go Warrior. Templar is also a good tank due to the high Elemental resistance they build up. Never see Dragon Knights in dungeons/trials though.

Melee DPS- Don't see too many thieves, since they're the least used (I say they're good for PVP). Lots of Martial Artist and Blade Dancers since Martial Artist do big amounts of damage and Blade Dancers for wide variety of AOEs. Samurais are also used as well, but personally the Melee DPS classes are optional.

Range DPS- Early game a lot of people use Hunter (can't really explain so much on this.) Engineer is also used to take out huge stacks of mobs and Ranger is wonderful to use as well. Can't say so much on this department since people prefer magic DPS over range DPS.

Healing- A cleric is a must have, I guess you can say it's the root of the party. Bards are nice to have as well it's there to support the Cleric and the party with buffs. Shaman is sort of a mix between Bard and Cleric and nice to have in huge parties. Sages not so much, it's more of a PDPS class and not a lot of people want it for dungeons/trials.

Magic DPS- Magician is a great class to clear mobs, dealing huge amounts of damage. Illusionist are support, giving out MP regen and increasing Cast Speed and ATK Speed. Warlocks not so much, other than breaking bosses BP it's only good for 1vs1 situations (as in case of a party or trial virtually useless.)

Sorry for the wall of text and the lack of detailed informations, but this is mostly based on my experience of playing Eden Eternal.

Soalai

Rank 1
Soalai
PostedJan 25, 2013 3:33 pm
Tanks are always needed. In trials, a well-geared tank will make or break the outcome of the whole dungeon. It's hard to build a tank good enough for the high-level dungeons, but you'll never want for a party if you go with defense.

Illusionists (a magic DPS class) are also almost a necessity (or at the very least extremely preferred) in every dungeon after you unlock them. Almost every 5- and 8-man party wants an illusionist somewhere.

<br> <a>GuildLaunch userpage</a><br>

Gahloman

Rank 0
Gahloman
PostedJan 25, 2013 3:36 pm
To answer the basis of the question with the descriptions that XD12141 gave, here's what I usually see.

People enjoy playing DPS classes. There's almost always a surplus for DPS classes on any game that you play. I play on Sapphire, and the things that I see the most are people recruiting for dungeons/trials ("raids", in other words) are either tanks or healers. They're in such a high demand and such a low supply (and I'm not just talking about that one super DPSer who decides that there's enough DPS and plays tank/healer instead).

If you don't plan on getting into endgame PvP as much like I chose not to, the PvE universe could always use good tanks or healers. Granted, you can still play whatever you want as I play Ranger for backup in-case tank is taken (strictly a PvE tank myself). And by that, I mean really good tank/healer and not the average "i'm doing this because nobody else wanted to/i felt like playing this class instead of the one i primarily play" mentality.

Also, seems like Soalai beat me to the "needs tanks" response, and Illusionist IS also a highly requested class, but I'd say they're more common than good healers/tanks are.

pflai

Rank 0
PostedJan 29, 2013 7:07 pm
If you have a way to beat the inflation in the game, by all means go be a tank, like above posts.

Illusionists are necessary true, but there are many halfkin cleric or mage mdps that also play illusionists, so high demand high supply, it cancels out.

Clerics, on the other hand, is well needed, especially good ones, since so many use cleric for smiting purposes and not enough use it for pure healing purposes.

DPS is the cheapest option. However, there's always 2 or 3 DPS in your party you just say "man, they're really not doing much, but meh". If you want to be a good dps, its just as expensive. Most people go dps because they don't have the much needed funds to fort their armor or shield(for ma/thief), not to mention shields' durability for awakened one.

I'm not gonna say you play what you like. Every party needs GOOD people, not just people with the harder role. One overpowered dps can outspike 10 other spacefiller dps. One good tank can survive 10 times longer than a random shield-less tank (xD, I've seen it happen). It all depends on your cash and what your budget for this game is, honestly.

mrdolphin

Rank 2
PostedFeb 11, 2013 11:20 pm
pflai wrote:

DPS is the cheapest option. However, there's always 2 or 3 DPS in your party you just say "man, they're really not doing much, but meh". If you want to be a good dps, its just as expensive. Most people go dps because they don't have the much needed funds to fort their armor or shield(for ma/thief), not to mention shields' durability for awakened one.

Ugh..I've been in so many parties with people playing Rangers with a +2 orange bow. At least playing other DPS classes can provide some benefit (ie Thief and ambush, MA with suppress/collapsing blow glyph). Their pets do more damage than they do.

Lvl 7X <br> Warrior(DPS)/Thief/MA/BD/Samurai/Ranger/Engi <br> <a>YT channel</a>

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedFeb 12, 2013 3:52 am
XD12141 wrote:
Though I'm not an expert on this, I'll give you a general idea of the more important roles.

Healing- A cleric is a must have, I guess you can say it's the root of the party. Bards are nice to have as well it's there to support the Cleric and the party with buffs. Shaman is sort of a mix between Bard and Cleric and nice to have in huge parties. Sages not so much, it's more of a PDPS class and not a lot of people want it for dungeons/trials.

Just to change a few things, Shaman is more a mix between cleric and mdps and a good build shammy can easilly solo heal a dungeon when there is no need for an aoe purify skill (that cleric has) or does a nice amount of dps when geared right.
Sages are usefull in dungeons with alot of stat effects from bosses (like fear, stun) and they make a healers job bit easier with their aoe purify aura. There just hardly any good sages, but they do make stuff easier.

As for what is a lacking class, hard to say and depends on the people you play with. But tanks are mostly a problem. Do lvl your other classes when your main class is maxed out though cause they give a nice boost to stats when lvled, but be carefull with lvling branch skills as they use gold to lvl up.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedFeb 12, 2013 5:56 pm
In my experience, it really depends on your level bracket. Early on, half-decent healers are enough to get you by and tanks are in really high demand; being a good tank and being known in your Guild as such is a great way to guarantee a spot on parties at any level though. Later on, there are loads of powerful tanks, but you might need connections to coax them onto your parties.

Clerics and other healers usually don't need the best gear to perform well in a dungeon, but they need to be able to think fast (and not lag). I'm not qualified to measure intelligence overall, but I've seen some pretty horrible healers even if the class is capped to the person's character level even above 60-65.

Among the dps classes, Illusionist stands out as a standard in serious parties (I hear Bard is the counterpart in the Taiwan server, but more on Bard later). Being able to provide MP and Atk Speed/Cast Speed support is superb and makes everybody on the party perform better (in theory). In addition, Illusionist is good at helping the AoE dps clear mobs by performing an AoE KD that disables mobs and makes them take 50% more damage now and then. Their single target dps is high.

Among physical dps, Martial Artist and Samurai stand out as the top single target and AoE damagers respectively. Again, Bard sneaks in to turn the tables if there is a Blade Dancer around, augmenting Blade Dancer's skills to compete with and maybe surpass Samurai's damage (depends on the individual). For Ranged dps, Ranger is probably the best, but any Melee dps class can don a Bow/Gun and hit from afar using high Atk Speed (perhaps boosted further by Illusioinist).

For niche specific situations, classes that are called for include Bard, Ranger, and Templar. Bard not only provides pretty powerful buffs but has a buff that prevents allies from falling asleep, and helps against certain bosses in 60-65 Trials (Raids).

Ranger is a great class if used properly and is particularly useful in Branda Trial. Not only do both bosses have a BP against Pierce, but mobs in Branda have effects that harm players who stand near them or near each other. Ranger can easily stand from far away and AoE, or use both the slow effects from Precise Shot and the Eagle summon to slow the large mobs that help to be kited. In addition, Ranger can perform powerful single target dps on the first boss while using its AoE to insta-KO the monsters summoned by said boss that kamikaze for 5000 damage on a teammate. Lastly, at the end of Branda, two Demon bugs need to be lured near crystals to lose their invincibility buffs; Ranger's Concussive Shot can push them into the sweet spot that wipes their buff quickly instead of waiting for the tank to aggo and pull them to the crystal where they sometimes stop next to the crystal without getting in range of the sweet spot.

Templar is just a nice fusion of physical and magic dps, and I personally find it useful for the end of Crimson Trial where there are some mobs that can't be hurt by magic, and some that can't be harmed physically. With Templar, I can aggro both groups long enough for my allies to easily kill them (or if the team is uncoordinated, I can handle them by myself).

aurorasoltice

GameSage: Eden Eternal
aurorasoltice
PostedFeb 12, 2013 6:06 pm
I'll have to disagree about the part of shaman being a mix of cleric and mdps because cleric has more mdps potential than shaman (more dps skill plus there's an aoe too). But anyway shaman is nice to use, i'll say more on pvp. Pve wise the anger totem works well on mobs to stun and add more damage on them, boss wise well it depends on your quick response anyway because you might have to use prevention quickly on more than 1 people. Anyway at the person above me, do you know that sage buffs dont work on a lot (if not all) bosses? Which makes them pretty much useless (again).

Anyway if you want the most wanted class (for pve especially), go tank. You'll prolly need to pay a lot more because building a good tank is rather expensive, but at the end of the day it depends on your observation and skill. I've seen tanks with +10s stuffs who sucks, meanwhile a guildie of mine who mains dps has a +6 tank set and such and is good at it.

Illu is not hard to find imo. It's just most people think it's a boring class because illu = mana slave in a party, you cant dps as much as others since you have to keep up with mana and stimulation.

Posted By Aeria Mobile