Ironwood.Oak

Rank 0
Ironwood.Oak
PostedJan 26, 2013 6:03 pm
billdoor wrote:
I will just refer to Merlin's post and add that the main reason sov's score today went through the ceiling was that we had almost twice the number of guildies turning up for GRB than we've had for the last few months. In fact, higher than it has been for more than year and a half.

Will have this week's post up in a bit.  

As a member of Sov I take exception to anyone thinking we cheat or "find loopholes". Sov is one of the most respected guilds in Shaiya, not because we work hard at GRB, but we insist on integrity, respect for others and fair play from all members of our guild.

We work hard at making sure everyone in the GRB raids know exactly where they are supposed to go and what they are supposed to do. GRB is a pride factor for me because it requires team work and communication as well as being able to follow our leadership. We ask that people attend GRB if they are online, but have no issues with RL needs, as this is only a game. My guild mates look forward to GRB and if we win first place or 10th place, we are satisfied that we did the best we can.

But as had been stated earlier, it is only a game.
Razz
Advertisement

Lord_Ove

Rank 0
Lord_Ove
PostedJan 26, 2013 7:09 pm
Ironwood.Oak wrote:
billdoor wrote:
I will just refer to Merlin's post and add that the main reason sov's score today went through the ceiling was that we had almost twice the number of guildies turning up for GRB than we've had for the last few months. In fact, higher than it has been for more than year and a half.

Will have this week's post up in a bit.  

As a member of Sov I take exception to anyone thinking we cheat or "find loopholes". Sov is one of the most respected guilds in Shaiya, not because we work hard at GRB, but we insist on integrity, respect for others and fair play from all members of our guild.

We work hard at making sure everyone in the GRB raids know exactly where they are supposed to go and what they are supposed to do. GRB is a pride factor for me because it requires team work and communication as well as being able to follow our leadership. We ask that people attend GRB if they are online, but have no issues with RL needs, as this is only a game. My guild mates look forward to GRB and if we win first place or 10th place, we are satisfied that we did the best we can.

But as had been stated earlier, it is only a game.
Razz  

I find it hard to belive that someone actually belive that Sovereignty cheat during GRB.

And to be honest I couldnt care less about the scores either.

What I do find interesting tho is this bonus system.

I have noticed several times that the guild that was shown as first when getting ported out ended as second.
And it seems to me that the bonus is based upon participants.
If this is indeed the case then this system will not be encouraging teamwork, or quality for that matter.
Also if this apply for the top guild then I asume it apply for the lower ranked guilds aswell where there might be smaller guilds with less members, but they are working really well as an team to earn their points.
They will never be able to be awarded for this in an fair way, even if the acctual score would get them higher on the rankings.
This because of the fact that they are to few.
This in my eyes are an crapy way to hand out bonus point as it will reward quantity over quality, and well I prefer it the other way around.

Btw. Love your avatar billdoor, Gonzales Rocks Very Happy

<a>Photobucket</a>

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedJan 26, 2013 7:57 pm
Lord_Ove wrote:
Gonzales Rocks Very Happy  

That he does. Wink

I try making it a point not to comment on our own guild's performance in this thread, but I will make an exception today.

I do agree that the bonus system isn't necessarily promoting quality, though it depends what parameters you use for quality. To us, GRB is the one thing we are capable of doing well, as our ubers are few and far between. So in terms of sheer power, toon for toon ,we are no match for the top endgame PvP guilds. We are well aware of this, and aim to excel in other areas in order to find our fun in the game.

Some of our guildies have invested a lot of time into analyzing, educating and showing us the way ahead to improve in GRBs over the last two and a half years. Our lack of quality might be in terms of sheer power, but we've aimed to make up for it through being who we are and sticking to a long term goal. That, and the dedication of those who have turned up close to every week for years, is what lays behind sov's GRB results.

Dedication to one's guild is not something unique to sov, of course. It's more about what the focus of that dedication is. sov is more than GRB, but it is our most visible 'achievement', and therefore something we take pride in, like every guild should take pride in what they do well. We also readily accept being beaten, as that gives us more incentive to improve. There is no shame losing to a better performer as long as we give it our best shot.

So yes, we might not have the quality toon for toon, but today pretty much all factors came together for us, and the turnout played a major part in it. Still, without the GRB points scored by the guildies that showed up, we would not have achieved the result, and I guess therein lies our quality. With a normal turnout, we would probably just have snuck past CL with the bonus, except that without the turnout, we wouldn't have been able to be as close behind by the end of the GRB as we were.

I have to give CL and DR credit for their sheer GRB power, as the kill rates they are able to maintain show the strength of your participants. That is what usually beats us, unless we have a lot of people showing up, like today.

I like to view sov as "the little guild that could", not unlike a bunny with a bazooka, like Gonzales. Wink

With that, I'll return to my policy of not commenting on our own results.

Keep up the fight!

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.

styfz

Rank 1
styfz
PostedJan 26, 2013 8:20 pm
MerlinMcTav wrote:
AyraGrace - the method you suggest will actually result in a far lower score than the ones posted by the leading guilds. It's debatable whether that method is actually legal or illegal, but it's a bit of a moot point because it's pretty ineffective.  

Probably a bit late but I just got home. I wanted to stress this statement.

The time you take to go in, kill bosses and then relog on different toons makes that strategy totally ineffective, if it takes you 2 mins to do it plus say 1 more min to kill again and run to designated places, well, just see where the score is 3 mins into grb is already.

it would be somewhat effective if very well timed with very quick net connections back in ep3-middle ep4, but now it's just a myth. couple weeks ago when GRB crashed 30 secs into the hour, we (DLF) already had 15 boss down and 30 boss was already targetted. if it kept going we would be way past the total sum of boss points by the 3 mins mark

I really would like the person that first talked about a "loophole" to stop using half-baked sentences and call things by their proper names, cuz "loophole" is just too wide a concept..

Congratulations SE and all sov's for the feat Wink

LordKotaro1011

Rank 4
LordKotaro1011
PostedJan 26, 2013 9:31 pm
I don't believe casting blame or accusations is really worth it when we are all respectable guilds members and we are all facing this messed up bonus system every week, good results or bad.

What really matters is that we have an answer, mainly for the sake of game knowledge. It's not good to play the guessing game.

I am returning my fraps recording to reply to last weeks ticket as we speak, and also mentioning 3 possible things that may cause it (GVG, Last mobs to be hit, and Attendance), as well as asking what they personally know from the developers.

-Retired.

GlenVB

Rank 0
PostedJan 26, 2013 9:53 pm
@ LordKotaro, or you could just figure it out for yourself????

LordKotaro1011

Rank 4
LordKotaro1011
PostedJan 26, 2013 10:04 pm
GlenVB wrote:
@ LordKotaro, or you could just figure it out for yourself????  

I am trying. I'm always testing things that I am trying to find out about. But first I had to reply back to the ticket in order to see what the GM's could explain with the footage.

I also plan to test some other things out once my high toon is restored.
We have 2 raids for GRB and the only thing that is an option now in my eyes it GvG, otherwise anything else is down to that ticket.

-Retired.

prepi

Rank 0
PostedJan 26, 2013 10:56 pm
Very sincerely what is frustrating is to be the first after 20 minutes and not be doubled once during the GRB and finish second with 1600 points behind.
This is not representative.

alwaysbanned3

Rank 2
alwaysbanned3
PostedJan 26, 2013 11:13 pm
Ironwood.Oak wrote:

Well, We did it when we broke the record 2 yrs ago.... Very Happy Seriously though, Congrats SE and if our record had to fall, glad it was to you guys and not those DR or CL nubs!

-Deicide-!!! Best time I ever had in this game!

Mandatar

Rank 5
Mandatar
PostedJan 27, 2013 2:13 am
The magic trick behind amazing GRB scores is this:

1.Try to get as many to participate as possible.
2.Kill mobs and bosses as fast as possible.

I agree it's good to ponder on how certain bonuses are being calculated, but in the end we will never get a final answer on this. The GMs do not have this information either, it's not like Sonov/Choi Rock/Nexon have given them documentation on every formula behind game mechanics.

Mandatar (80), Scrooge (30), Someshta (30), Azeal (15), Kierin (65)