FTrunks21

Rank 0
PostedFeb 03, 2010 8:42 pm

assassin or berserker?

need help choosing
I'm more of a dual wield (love dual wielding) warrior type of guy but i wonder do berserkers have more survivabilty than assassins? I like both types so im wondering which one you guy's think is better for soloing and grinding? thanks a lot for the help. looking for pve and not pvp.
Advertisement

james5166

Rank 0
james5166
PostedFeb 05, 2010 4:03 pm

It depends...

Between warrior and Assassin, there are many factors...
Assassins and Berserkers both have some pros and cons (good points and bad points, respectively) against each other. I've experienced both of these classes on my first account, as well as a Paladin and a Ranger, but enough of that... on to the list...

Here they are:

Berserker's Pro's:
Higher Vitality (VIT) than Assassins, of which each point into Vitality = 40 health. (+3)
Can dual wield Swords, Axes and Hammers (one-handed weapons only) (+1)
They have skills that work wonders boosting physical damage, far higher than Assassins, which allows them to hit hard when they hit. (+1)
They have great tanking abilities, far superior to that of an Assassin. Tanks are people that absorb damage for a team, but can dish out some as well. (+2)
Can absorb more Physical Damage than Assassins, because of the Berserker armor's high physical defenses. (+1)
Is far better than the Assassin in group combat, where there are multiple monsters attacking you at once. (+3)
Can use 2-handed weapons. (+1)

Berserker's Cons:
Needs a relic to use guns, regardless of level. (-2)
Has no ranged skills, and all close combat skills cannot hit a target over 14 yards, meaning, in-game yards, not real yards. (-2)
Slower attacker than Assassins OR Rangers, regardless of weapon, which is their greatest weakness. (-4)
Slower movements speed than Assassins OR Rangers, which makes it harder for them to escape a situation that they could die in. (-2)
Takes more damage from magic based skills or attacks than an Assassin, because of their armor's low magical defenses. (-1)
Less accurate than Assassins in their strikes, so you'll see them miss more often, which could also cost them their life. (-2)

Assassin's Pros:
Can use any bows OR guns that they please so long as the level requirements are met. (+1)
Can cloak themselves from monsters, turning almost completely invisible, which also makes it hard for other players to find them. (+1)
Is far faster than a Berserker when attacking. (+2)
Is better for solo combat than the Berserker, as well as most bosses around your level. Does not apply to dungeon bosses. (+1)
Has many ranged skills for guns and bows both, mostly made for keeping their opponents at range and immobilization. (+2)
Has many talents and skills for increasing attack speed, thus allowing more damage in a shorter time. (+3)
Has skills and talents for increasing movements speed, thus allowing a quick escape from a nasty situation which you would have died from. (+2)
Far more accurate than Berserkers, they hardly miss. This could save them against that huge, heavy Axe that could kill an assassin in about 8 hits. (+3)
Takes less damage than magic users than Berserkers. (+1)

Assassin's Cons:
Cannot dual wield axes or hammers. -(1)
Has Lower Vitality than Berserkers. (-3)
Cannot use 2-handed weapons. (-1)
Uses up mana like a speed demon. In other words, runs out of mana really quick, which is their biggest weakness. (-4)
Takes more damage from physical attacks than Berserkers, due to their thin, flexible armor. (-1)

Berserker's Positive Score: +12 (pros)
Berserker's Actual Score: -1 (pros + cons)
Assassin's Positive Score: +16 (pros)
Assassin's Actual Score: 6 (pros + cons)

The Verdict:

If you're looking for a versatile character that would annihilate nearly anyone in solo combat, pick an Assassin... an Assassin can kill lightning quick, but has trouble standing against over 3 monsters and having enough health to escape after killing them. In my opinion and the opinions of many who compared, Assassin is better for 1vs1 PvP. That is, considering that both the Assassin and the Berserker are at their best, including both skills and equipment as factors.

But if you want to fight groups of around 3 monsters at a time and survive with significant amounts of health left, pick Berserker... a Berserker can take on a ton of people at once, but fails to kill Quickly. In my opinion and also the opinions of quite a few that compared, Berserker is better for team raids and team PvP. That is, considering that both the Assassin and the Berserker are at their best, including both skills and equipment as factors.

stormcanuck19

Rank 2
stormcanuck19
PostedFeb 05, 2010 5:37 pm
u forgot to add that sins have the highest evasion of all characters and has one of the highest crit rate %

they got alot of stun skills too - shadow demon strike, clock cleaner, flash ambush, sweet dreamer

Uses up mana like a speed demon. In other words, runs out of mana really quick, which is their biggest weakness. (-4)  

what??? no they don't, not if if u use the right talent set up. if u use destroyer setup (sniping+deathblow+stealthblade = -20 mana), u save alot of pots in the long run. this is the best talent setup for pve.

in fact i barely use mana pots while im in destroyer. i can pick up around 6-10 mana potions before i even use up my entire mana pool.

blytz88

Rank 0
PostedFeb 06, 2010 7:54 am
There are a few issues I have with the beserker portion of the pros/cons list as well. While zerkers may have lower run speed (assuming you don't talent for wind warrior which gives 18% run speed) they do have an aoe paralyze which makes it very easy to get away from a bad situation. Beserker talents really do shore up most of their weaknesses, especially the hit rate since the wind samurai combo gives 15% hit even without the additional hit from individual talents that make it up.

Since the OP is looking for PVE content over PVP, I'd say beserkers offer a bit more versatility in what you can do. Personally I feel that zerkers are excellent if not the best trash tanks for dungeons, great aoes and 30% hitrate debuff makes for fast killing at low risk; leave bosses for a pally or gorilla sage though. The slower swing speed is a moot point since zerkers hit harder per swing in general which usually translates to higher skill spam damage (heck, i still put Strike and Sandy Sole Curse on my action bar for grinding since they cost 25 mp to cast and do about as much damage as a regular melee swing.)

In the end it comes down to how much group content you want to do. Zerkers offer more for a party than sins do but sins have a slight edge in solo content (at least that's what I feel.)

FTrunks21

Rank 0
PostedFeb 07, 2010 8:42 pm

awesome

that is exactly what I was looking for. thanks a lot guys. I will stick with the assassin. great responses.

Shurimpu

Rank 1
Shurimpu
PostedFeb 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: It depends...

Between warrior and Assassin, there are many factors...
james5166 wrote:
This is my first post. I main Assassin and have no idea how berserkers play, so I'm going to be hugely biased, hope that's okay  

Fix'd

<br> Grand Fantasia! <br> Solieyu: Level 60 Berserker

markopolo112

Rank 0
PostedDec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

my personal recommendation if you choose assassin

please note that this is based on my experience
Assassin is a really great choice, in my opinion I think it is a better path, here is my personal guide for you as an Assassin, to start off with, you should of course choose the sprite that crafts swords since Assassin's use those as the weapon to deal HUGE damage, once you start off, proceed on with the normal quests like normal until you reach level 5, after that advance into hunter since that is the only class that advances into assassin, then teleport to Jale, now here is something you should do if you want to survive until you are level 16 when you could dual wield, pick a ranged weapon along with your sword, even though an assassin fights with swords and not with bows/guns, note that you could only equip one sword, that means that you will die A LOT if you do not equip yourself with a ranged weapon since hunters have low defense and health, however, when the enemy gets too close, you have to resort to using melee combat so equip a sword as well, when you gain the ability to dual wield, you could specialize in melee combat, or you could save dual wielding until you are an assassin when you get better melee skills, after that, you could continue fighting monsters with your swords for the rest of your adventure.

whyumaddd

Rank 0
PostedDec 25, 2012 9:51 pm
There is no need to necro a nearly 3 year old thread.

Synith.

Rank 0
Synith.
PostedDec 26, 2012 12:57 am
From the perspective of stealth, assassins have a higher advantage of surviving attacks opposed to the zerks. Not only are they a class that can stealth, they can also re-cast the stealth while they're being targeted.

It's a superior class if used properly.

For anyone that stumbles across this who would like to know the answers to his question, I'll leave my response.

In edit, I didn't realize this post was 3 years old.

Future posters, refrain from posting.

~Fin.

markopolo112

Rank 0
PostedJan 18, 2013 10:20 pm

updated information on the personal guide

I know this is a 3 year old thread, I am just posting in case he is still stuck in the archer stage
Forget what I said about specializing in melee when you are level 16, when you become an archer in level 16, you should still stick to your ranged weapon, even with the ability to dual wield, you do not have the ability to stealth, you do not have huge evasion yet and you do not have any skills which increase your attack speed, instead, you should fight with your bow/gun until you are level 30 and change you class to assassin, IF you specialize in melee combat in level 16, good luck since the archers still have horrible HP/defense and the only helpful skills is lightning reflexes(the skill becomes extremely useful when you start becoming an assassin so keep it and level it, if you combine it with speed demon, a assassin skill you get right after your class change, you will get the evasion the assassins are known for), it boosts your evasion, however, the buff lasts for a short time and it takes a long time to recharge the skill to use it again at the current level of the skill, it gets much better later on, however, if you want to specialize in melee combat, be my guest, just remember, you will die a lot of times just like in the hunter stage if you go down that path, still, train your sword sprites, you want the sprites to be able to make the good swords in the assassin/darkstalker/windshadow(darkstalker and windshadow are the 2 later jobs of assassin at level 60 and 85) stage, also, if you have not done so already, get an armor sprite for your character you would want that since if the monsters hit you during close combat during the hunter/archer stage you have something to defend against so you will not die every second, also, by now I recommend a gun/bow sprite since you will rely on them for the hunter/archer stage, once you are through with the hunter/archer stage, you are finally able to advance to an assasin, a few things to note if you want to be a good assasin though, 1.assasins are great in PVP if you find a good way to defeat players without using any skills that involve stuns, notice that in pretty much every single thread known to mankind about this game, the reason the players say assasins are bad in PVP endgame is for the simple reason that all the classes except darkstalkers have anti-stuns, if you find a way to get a good build in PVP for assasin/darkstalker/windshadow without using any skills involving stuns, you are good to go for PVP, just watch out for the fact that darkstalkers do not have anti-stuns meaning the other classes could stun you easily, and if you get hit by any person a few times, you will lose the match and 2. while many people consider assasins to be atrocious at PVP because of the anti stuns, the assasins are one of the best if not the best in PVE due to them having extremely high evasion, high attack speed, the ability to stealth through enemies, high critical rate and the ability to fully heal themselves in 2 or 3 hits with the level 66 leech sword and the level 70 orange sword and the accuracy of each hit from the assasin, so keep in mind that if you want to do well in PVP as an assasin find a PVP build that does not include anything having to do with stuns, and that if you want to specialize in PVE, this is a great class for you, especially when it has to do with soloing, the only class that has a chance of being better than an assasin at PVE is a beserker and a necromancer which is debatable, even the people in the forums say these are the 3 best classes for PVE, beserkers because of their AOE skills and the fact that their attacks are powerful and necromancers because of their ability to summon creatures acting as a good meatshield and helps the necromancers kill monsters which allows multitasking since the necro could attack 1 monster and the summon could attack another monster, in conclusion, this class is ideal for PVE and the fact that the assasins are horrible in PVP could be negated as long as you find a good build, also I recommend training on the masteries for the assasin when you hit level 70 since the masteries are much better endgame and at level 70, just like almost all the other classes in Grand Fanstasia, the class is harder to train so it is the perfect time to train on your masteries.