KurysFlame

Rank 3
KurysFlame
PostedNov 26, 2012 1:03 am   Last edited by KurysFlame on Nov 26, 2012 11:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

End class method for attaining new skills

Like tomes, but more involved
Blue weapons for the end class which grant skills. These skills may be used without the weapon through gaining xp while wielding the weapon, similar to FF tactics. Here are the specifics.

Finding weapon: rare drop from various world/dungeon bosses. If found the weapon will apear in your archive. Works the same way as statues for finding. If in a party, the entire party finds wep. No notification if someone already has.

Notes on the weapons. Each wep has one skill for 2 classes. The stats are similar to that of a yellow weapon, but it may not be forted or have stones added. It has no added effects.

Notes on skills. There are 4-6 skills per a class, but only 2 skills may be used at once. May be changed, but only outside of combat. As stated earlier, use of skills without weapon requires experiance gained while wielding weapon. Skill may grow up to 10 lvls, similar to masteries, also gained via xp gained while wielding the weapon.

This is mainly an idea used to gain skills, not one for new skills themselves. Howeverm speaking as a mystic, it would be nice if the skills for shaman included at least 2 different form, possibly lasting only for 5 minutes with an hour/45min each with their own skill sets. Of course other classes would have equally powerful skills.

Guess this is mainly a pipe dream of mine, but it's a nice one.
Advertisement

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedNov 26, 2012 4:48 am
It's actually an interesting idea. Though the chances of X-L adding something new like this is super low, looking at the bright side they made that lvling equipment system, I think we kind of already have our "end-game" time consumer there.

KurysFlame

Rank 3
KurysFlame
PostedNov 26, 2012 11:32 pm
Thanks for the compliment. I know it's a bit off topic, but would you mind telling me where on the forums I can find more on this lvling equipment system, or if you just mean normal forting?

Also, anyone know why the word "more" in my subject description became some sort of link? Trying to correct the issue now...

As I stated earlier, the idea is mainly a pipe dream, but a pleasant one.

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedNov 27, 2012 1:03 am
Equipment Leveling System - Ban Immunity.

Considering most people have tons of equipment they frequently use, I'm pretty sure this will be time consuming to the point of rage. \o/

evilishan

Rank 3
evilishan
PostedNov 27, 2012 4:05 am
I do like the FF style of obtaining skills through weapons, and also the idea of rare weapon from world bosses.

However to critique the idea, I feel that the future introduction of purple weapons (which can have special abilities already) alongside the projected weapon leveling system may already satisfy your wishes to a degree, whilst also providing more variety (there will be people who will go for double attack stones whilst others may choose a different stone).

For some reason that idea reminded of the temporary yellow weapon drops in NC, because it's the only other way to get specific ability non-blue weapons other than spending PvP/GvG or crafting them. Maybe consider making these only temporary weapons which can only be used in a dungeon 'X', a skill training dungeon.

Your suggestion would indeed provide more skills for mystic but once the skills are gotten and levelled, there is a good chance the weapons would be discarded.

This differentiates it from FFTA, as many weapons in that game provide permanent use even after the ability is learned. E.G: blood sword teaches Wurmkiller, whilst also providing life drain.

An advantage would be given to dual wielding class, who would be able to weild the one handed skill-learning weapon, whilst holding it with a +18 'other' hand weapon making leveling the weapon skill that much easier whilst mage classes, pallies may suffer due to not being able to do so. Choosing to instead make skill weapon a relic would do the opposite!

Thank you,
Ishan

turtle2257

Rank 3
turtle2257
PostedNov 27, 2012 7:07 am
on akfrost's site, purple weapons are pure stats, nothing else

evilishan

Rank 3
evilishan
PostedNov 28, 2012 6:55 am
by ability I am referring to the special single stone that can be placed inside the weapon to give the weapon a choice of double attack, etc.

I feel that it satisfies the idea of a 'special' weapon. and since we're already scheduled to get new weapon changes etc, there would be no need for the idea.

KurysFlame

Rank 3
KurysFlame
PostedDec 04, 2012 9:51 pm
Work keeps me from looking into posts I make as often as I should... Anyways, ty for explaining about the options already available (or soon to be available). I thoroughly agree with the "time consuming to the point of rage. \o/" comment by iBambi, though as I'd plan to keep playing for the sake of friends anyways, it will be nice to still be making progress in power.

@evilishan: Ty for both the apreciation and critique. In one sense the weapons will have a use after their use due to being archived and providing skills to be learned by 2 classes, possibly an incentive to obtain character unlock keys if you don't have the other class that can use the skill. However, the main reason for adding these weapons imo would be for obtaining the skills rather than using the actual weapon. It's why I said they ca't be forted. I certainly see how duel wielders could have an advantage and can't say all that much to fix it. Perhaps have all all the single handed skill weapons when equipped fill both weapon slots and count as wielding two of them. As I'm somewhat fond of doing a few things at once (questing, grinding, etc.), I'd much rather have the weapons useable everywhere than just in some special dungeon. I actually did think through that idea before creating this thread.

Most of my responses to evilishan defending my idea were kind of looking only at the great points evilishan made and not at the fact that there already is an edgame time consumer already there. As I said earlier, this is mainly a pipe dream I'd love to see. It's a philosophy I think most people who post in suggestions should use as it greatly diminishes disapointment.

"Radical Edward's profile is a seven foot tall ex-basketball pro Hindu guru drag-queen alien." ―Jet Black

evilishan

Rank 3
evilishan
PostedDec 09, 2012 9:33 am
Assuming this idea is implemented and taking what you have said into account, the weapons would be a waste once one copy is in the archive.

Further things you should provide more details on if you are enthusiastic on this idea:

• Which special item for which classes/what abilities do you have in mind?
  • A class like darkstalker has multiple ways to level, both ranged and melee. Having the item in the melee slot. How would you restrict leveling the 'skill' via a fair way for all classes.
  • Although an item may provide skills learn-able by 'two' classes, it would only merely be a 'luxury' rather than a 'motivator' to make a new character. I tend to keep my high level characters on different accounts for the convenience of running dungeons rather than all on one account.
  • How rare would the drop rate be?
  • I feel the item NEEDS a use after the skill is learnt, being achievable still doesn't warrant future use, it'd be just a junk item. Future drops of the same item would be junk, esp if they were bound.
  • Would it be tradeable?

For your convenience, I have taken the liberty to provide my own solutions to my questions and would like to hear your thoughts.

Both weapon and ranged slots would need to be occupied by these 'special' weapons in order to obtain a skill, weapons would only be usable on normal maps and would 'magically' unequip when entering dungeons, etc. Aka a Temp would need a skill relic and sword (occupies both left and right hand slots). A darkstalker would need to use the same sword and the skill bow. Alternatively they could be put in new 'skill' slots.

Drop rate would have to be rarer than Ancient talents, so as to prevent them from being a nuisance and flooding inventory once the skills are actually obtained. Also note that talents are consumed upon both success AND failure whereas this is a permanent item. Maybe consider that the item vanishes/consumed upon mastering the skill to maximum (and opting to NOT make them achievable)?

Just as a side note: Yes this is an idea, however I believe that for a successful idea, there should be a lucrative factor for the company, whilst also giving something that players 'need'/'really want'. I am not sure either of these are present here.

I do however appreciate the creativity behind this idea! Needs more info
Ishan

KurysFlame

Rank 3
KurysFlame
PostedDec 10, 2012 12:13 am
@evilishan: I love the thought you are putting into the idea. Allow me to do a bit of mixing with your suggestions to possibly solve a few of the flaws.

Have a tab under the skill box allowing you to choose which skill to train. To train the skill you need to have collected 3 parts which stand for each weapon slot. In the case of a 2h the items would be considered the handle and the head of the weapon, merged together once both are collected.

Each item would be slightly more common as a drop than tomes, but only dropped by specific bosses, which as you can't kill bosses as fast as normal mobs, it is understandable that the drop rate be higher.

Instead of being stored in the archive, the storage would be in the skill section, similar to how statues are stored. I believe this gets rid of the archive clutter problem.

As a possibilty, different item combinations train different skills, similar to talent combos, but requiring all slots to be filled. Items when selected are equipped.

As it is in a way an item only as much as statues are, it would not be tradeable and I think it no longer really requires a future use. As for the specific skills which could be learned, I don't really want to focus on skills due to how those ideas almost always draw criticism and I don't want the failure of part of my idea leading to the downfall of the whole, at least in public opinion. Admittedly, most skill suggestions deserve the negative response, but I don't want to risk it. The one hint at a skill suggestion I made in the original post was mainly due to recently watching a certain anime (Sword Art Online) and thinking of how to make a transformation skill which would be powerful and rare enough to actually surprise people. However, the main point of this thread is still a new form of skill collection. The only real rule hint as to what the skills will be should be that they are fitting of the effort to get.

The way to make money off this is simple imo. Make at least 2 slots required for the skills buyable via ap. Due to the manner of collecting, even one of these weapons is rarer than a tome. However, the last unbuyable slot is there to appease the non-ap buyer croud (including me). It's somewhat relaxing at times to thing that money can't buy everything. Furthermore, I and many others would find the task of discovering what these new skills are to be quite intriguing, which cold possibly help GF to hold onto the players it has. It also makes an entirely new type of skill in the game, at least for a while, a type which is in a sense a secret skill.

For not really having much hope in this idea becoming reality, I sure put alot of effort into thinking it through... Guess doing that is just enjoyable.

"Radical Edward's profile is a seven foot tall ex-basketball pro Hindu guru drag-queen alien." ―Jet Black