Midnight.howl

Rank 0
Midnight.howl
PostedNov 29, 2012 11:57 am

Better low lvl bracket for ranger?

Hi~
I want to tinker around with rangers a bit because I've never played the class, but I don't want to have it go to SS because the character'd be more expensive to maintain and my 70+ main isn't yet anywhere close to good.
I figure getting a ranger to PvP in 40-60 arena would be cheapest xD

So I was wondering which arenas rangers do better in, and why. I don't mind input of how they do in higher brackets in case I choose to level it, but I'd rather focus on what I can currently manage to sustain.

All input is highly appreciated~
Thanks for reading and I hope I get some responses :3

Advertisement

The.Mayor.

Rank 1
The.Mayor.
PostedNov 29, 2012 12:02 pm
Basically, from 0 to 85, rangers are OP.

Midnight.howl

Rank 0
Midnight.howl
PostedNov 29, 2012 12:11 pm
lol, I take that as a any-bracket-is-fine-they'll-pwn-anyway-if-they're good?

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedNov 29, 2012 12:20 pm
Midnight.howl wrote:

Pretty much, there's always the difference between being half decent and really good, but if you get the hang of the class, it's pretty easy to be one of the better people in PvP. I personally found it a lot easier to play Ranger/Sharpshooter in brackets below 70 though.

The.Mayor.

Rank 1
The.Mayor.
PostedNov 29, 2012 12:37 pm
Midnight.howl wrote:

Yep basically, its a quite naturally OP class if you know how to play it and you'll understand why once you try out.
If you want a "challenge", play classes with harder time at pvp like Necromancer or Sage.

Midnight.howl

Rank 0
Midnight.howl
PostedNov 29, 2012 4:21 pm
Awesome, thanks guys :3
I plan on trying out most classes in my time in GF, but for now I'll stick with ranger Surprised I can try challenges when I have longer breaks from school @_@
I'll start in 40 and move up as I get more experienced :3 And more money xD

evilishan

Rank 3
evilishan
PostedNov 29, 2012 6:35 pm
Midnight.howl wrote:
Awesome, thanks guys :3
I plan on trying out most classes in my time in GF, but for now I'll stick with ranger Surprised I can try challenges when I have longer breaks from school @_@
I'll start in 40 and move up as I get more experienced :3 And more money xD  

About brackets:
40 arena: Runs 24/7, usually fun for a decent ranger.
50 arena: Runs during peak hours and more on weekends, alright for a normal ranger, super-easy mode for a decent ranger.

Some lower bracket tips that I have noticed as a ranger.
40's
VS Mages & Clerics & Sages: Go for high damage and high crit attacks. Sniper (Talent combo) with Centipede's Tail is golden against these classes and will work better as it has a smaller chance of proccing the sleep staff/other nasties.

VS Pallies & Zerks and Sins and Rangers:
Focus on keeping a barrage of arrows going and esp against the stronger pallies, armor cutter is a must. Slow is great for reducing move-speed and attack speed. Sniper/Speedy Scout for Pallies and zerks.

Unless you're a +hit pro, I would stick to use Piercing Spear Warrior when challenging Sin & Rangers. Against both of these classes I would personally use Watchkeeper's bow.

Also with in HF, you should be able to 1-2 hit Xtal... You are the game-maker in HF!!
(tested with +7 Gun and 2x attack swords^^)

50's:
Against everything:
Two builds one focusing on survivability and another on offense:

Offense (I would go with this one anyway):

Ideally 41 sprite set with full masters and 50 bow/28 2x Sword/48 2x Sword wins out easily.

You needn't need to use PSW, but go Sniper 24/7 and use the sprite-made hit boosts and the PvP hit fruit. I would use Cannoneer.

Defensive:(You can be great at this in 50):
Ideally 45 PvP set/50 2 handed sword with full masters.

The great thing about 50 for rangers is that you can still have an insane amount of R attack speed after mastery and also maintain a great evasion alongside it without having to use Bow Quickdraw 3.

Most evasive you can go is Piercing Spear Warrior with Premonition 3 & Negator's instinct 2.
Samurai may be worthwhile if your 'reflect response' (star talent) is a low level.

Feel free to mix and match between the two builds^

Things you will want to do/get:
Armor
The level 25 PvP set (for 40 arena)
Get Ranger Legacy (Optional, head & body for 40 arena)
The level 41 Sprite set (used in 40 and 50)
The level 41-45 ranger PvP set (used in 50 arena)

Weapons

Get level 38 Watchkeeper's Bow & Centepede's Tail (40 arena)
Get the level 50 Yellow 2-handed sword (50 arena)
Get level 50 Yellow Bow (50 arena)
Get the level 18/28/48 2x swords (40 and 50 arena)

Fame!
Get 9k Treasure Appraisal for Premonition 3 (50 arena)
Get 9k Magic Academy for Bow Quickdraw 3 (50 arena)
25k Kaslow, Ilya and Jale rep for the level 2 star talents (50 arena)

And that's it! Feel free to come back to this thread if you encounter any difficulties or questions and you may also contact my Ponchee ranger ingame @ IGN: MilkySky.

Midnight.howl

Rank 0
Midnight.howl
PostedNov 30, 2012 11:50 am
Whoa, that's a lot of info :3
What are "sprite-made hit boosts"?
For 40 arena, which is better? 41 sprite set, or the 25 set?
And thank you very much for the help~

stormcanuck19

Rank 2
stormcanuck19
PostedNov 30, 2012 1:37 pm
Midnight.howl wrote:

What are "sprite-made hit boosts"?

Sprite made hit boosts are: Badge of Sight (+15% hit) , Mighty Badge of Sight (+30% hit). You'll need Treasure appraisal fame for these and archer apparel sprite to craft them. These are tradable btw so you can just buy these off from players.

You can also craft other boosts such as +evade , + attack , -dmg reduc , + hp, etc... but requires faction fame to craft them.

Midnight.howl wrote:
For 40 arena, which is better? 41 sprite set, or the 25 set?  

Depends on situation, ideally I would get both. 25 set if the arena is mostly rangers/sins, 41 set if it's other classes. Buy 4 pieces of 41 set + good blue helm and then buy 25 set since it's almost as good as free with it's very cheap cost of pvp fame.

evilishan wrote:

Offense (I would go with this one anyway):
Ideally 41 sprite set with full masters and 50 bow/28 2x Sword/48 2x Sword wins out easily.

You needn't need to use PSW, but go Sniper 24/7 and use the sprite-made hit boosts and the PvP hit fruit. I would use Cannoneer.

Stick to either PSW or speedy scout, sniper is kind of useless once you leveled out of 40. 50 arena are against fellow rangers anyway, going to sniper is a big NO. +30% crit dmg is not worth it since you are CAPPED at crit dmg at 317% with 50 bow proc on anyway. (which procs a lot btw)

evilishan wrote:

Defensive:(You can be great at this in 50):
Ideally 45 PvP set/50 2 handed sword with full masters.
Most evasive you can go is Piercing Spear Warrior with Premonition 3 & Negator's instinct 2.

Why the heck would you go premonition at this level. You are sacrificing 16/20% range attack speed just for some -crit/crit dmg taken. NOT WORTH it. By no means will a ranger/ss be tanky until 75. You'll be reliant on sprite speed clothing or watchkeeper bow just to reach soft cap speed again. This build isn't effective till you reach Sharpshooter class change with the extra +attack speed from AT and party buff. Even then it's not THAT great of a build... it's good 1 on 1 sure.. but in arena where your job as a ranger is to efficiently cap crystals and eliminating threats, it's bad.

<center>

| Alice/Bodor/Ponchee | Crimsonited | PhoenixAero: 8X SharpShooter | CrimsonTalon: DarkStalker |
</center>

Midnight.howl

Rank 0
Midnight.howl
PostedDec 02, 2012 10:14 am
Ty guys for all the advice :3
One more question >.<
Is there anyplace that I could find a list of the sprite made boosts and which sprites craft them?