katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 24, 2012 10:41 pm
Millumi wrote:
Yeah, the actual damage varies within some range, it would be really nice if they could tell you what it was.

For malice, I can't help but wonder if it's more complex than we might think. Like, if malice increases work differently for different amounts of damage. I wonder, during a crit, would the malice buff's increase also increase?
It might be testable if you use two elemental damage equips with different amounts of damage and switch doing the test with life cure.  

After several hundreds of trials, I figured out that on those giant prarie dog mobs in Witchcraft, against my level 65 Samurai, my P-Atk * .95 /10 ~ dmg dealt, and this scaling held true for the tankier bear mobs in Sturm for some reason, even though I did less damage to them (indicating some sort of direct damage reduction?) A quick way to estimate how much a proc added to my P-Atk for the tankier bear mobs in Sturm was to divide by 10 then dock a bit.

HowlingNeko astounded me last night using his Warrior and abusing the new Defense cap. He brought my 19k crits down to a puny 4k crit . . . which was a bit demeaning for me.

Advertisement

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedNov 25, 2012 7:11 am
You should see me, 70% def(when buffed) and 48% slash/strike resist.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 25, 2012 9:56 am
Millumi wrote:
You should see me, 70% def(when buffed) and 48% slash/strike resist.  

Screw that, I'm going Templar. ._.

SapphireMiku

Rank 1
SapphireMiku
PostedNov 27, 2012 7:50 am
katashi65 wrote:
(indicating some sort of direct damage reduction?)  

Don't forget too, that we don't know the true stats for Monsters. We know they have defense, since Burning Metal lets you hit harder with melee. However there is also the possibility that certain monsters also have resistances just like players.

If monsters didn't have resistances, they magic would hit all mobs the same damage. That being said, Bears could easily have a Slash/Crush resistance to account for the reduced damage compared to other monsters of the same level.

Another thing to factor in is the "cap" of damage reduction on monsters. For example; Your defense has a cap on 2 things; Damage Reduction (from melee) and Crit Damage Reduction (from melee). Even if you reach your cap on Damage reduction, increasing defense can still increase Crit Damage Reduction to its cap.

So say, a bear is 10,000 defense, but capped at 10% damage reduction and crit damage reduction. 10,000 defense would be high enough to cap that damage reduction and crit damage reduction at 10%, but other mobs may not be the same. Mobs outside may only have 10% damage reduction and 6% crit damage reduction, adding for a variance in hits.

The cap could also be different on different mobs. I know the soldiers in Rage Cape take a significant more amount of physical damage to kill, compared to other monsters of the same level in the same dungeon. It is unclear if this difference in damage is due to reduction from defenses or actual physical resistances on monsters.