shogungari

Rank 0
PostedNov 12, 2012 3:06 pm

How needed are tanks?

I'm only level 22 right now, but so far I've seen a lot of ads for tanks to join in various dungeons, and only tanks. Coming from other games where tanks were either in extremely high demand or considered worthless, it's hard to tell how needed a tank of any kind would be here. In higher, or even mid, level areas/dungeons would you say there's a high demand for tanks? Or are there enough of them that people don't really need to wait around for one to show up?
Advertisement

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: How needed are tanks?

shogungari wrote:
I'm only level 22 right now, but so far I've seen a lot of ads for tanks to join in various dungeons, and only tanks. Coming from other games where tanks were either in extremely high demand or considered worthless, it's hard to tell how needed a tank of any kind would be here. In higher, or even mid, level areas/dungeons would you say there's a high demand for tanks? Or are there enough of them that people don't really need to wait around for one to show up?  

In Eden Eternal, Tanks and Healers are always in high demand. Let me rephrase that: *Good* tanks and healers are hard to find. Tanks in my opinion are harder to find because it takes more gold and effort to build a good tank. The advantage to being a good tank is that you always have a spot on the good teams, however. Healers are more so desired for experience and common sense rather than gear, but there is a line you have to draw in terms of healing power and speed to make sure the entire team doesn't wipe.

On the other hand, well-geared dps whether it be Samurai, Ranger, Martial Artist, Thief, Sage, etc. can manage to tank effectively. Sometimes, the entire team is comprised of all dps and one healer and nobody holds aggro for long; the mobs just drop quickly.

shogungari

Rank 0
PostedNov 12, 2012 8:49 pm
What do you consider a good tank then?

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedNov 13, 2012 9:47 am
A tank who knows how to keep aggro and has enough def/EVA(sion)/block to survive.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 13, 2012 10:33 am
shogungari wrote:
What do you consider a good tank then?  

1. Holds aggro against most dps party members

2. Has enough defensive stats to live against mobs and bosses with a decent healer; includes high HP, defense, Eva, Block (perhaps Parry with the introduction of Dragon Knight), resists, and other direct damage reduction via pets and certificates.

amacle12

Rank 1
PostedNov 13, 2012 4:48 pm
add to the above

3. Good positional awareness. Keeps boss facing in a direction so that no directional AoEs hit party, and knws where his teammates are.

4. Alert to threats to party. Keeps eyes open for spawns or missed mobs that get to teammates and pulls them away as fast as possible without bringing AoE mobs/bosses near to squishable players. (A good DPS can take care of this, but many dont bother to)

and as a bonus

5. Good pacing in dungeon, Keeps the pace up, but allows ppl time to buff and doesnt charge off without his team being ready

Anchaai

Rank 2
Anchaai
PostedNov 17, 2012 12:34 am
A good tank also knows when to attack or not, and they also knows how many mobs should they lure.

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedNov 17, 2012 8:22 am
That's not really "being a good tank".. that should fall under "how to play Eden Eternal" -.-

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 17, 2012 9:54 am
sweetxdevil357 wrote:
That's not really "being a good tank".. that should fall under "how to play Eden Eternal" -.-  

A good tank needs to be a good player.

1911MiRon

Rank 0
PostedNov 21, 2012 5:20 pm
[b] how can someone be a "good" tank if some people specially dps folks don't even let you do your job as a tank? they attack first, not letting you gain aggro and when the party is wiped, there's the real use of a tank---> someone to blame.