NecromancerV

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
NecromancerV
PostedOct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Understanding Spam

There are a lot of definitions of the word spam out there. Once only applied to lunch meats and unwanted e-mails, the word has expended to meet the expanding and ever changing technology and applications. I know a lot of you have seen a GS telling a player "please no spamming" and I know many of you who have gotten one of these messages from a GS are confused by why we are telling you this. So let me spell it out to you all so there is less confusion out there about what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

By definition spam is: any unsolicited, unwanted, or disruptive message or messages received by email, text or any other messaging system.

Applying this to the browser games (or any other AGE games) this applies to in game chat, world chat(s), private messages, or any other chat a game. Spamming is also used as an umbrella term to describe any disruptive chat according to the ToS. If you unfamiliar with the ToS or need a reminder you may go here and read the first forum post and EVERY link there-in to be familiar with the ToS. However everyone should be familiar with the ToS as you did agree to reading it when you made your account.

Every game AGE hosts usually does have it's own set of rules (usually posted on the forums for that game) but the ToS is a master list of rules that need to be followed in game AND the Shout Box.

Spamming refers to any disruptive chat that violates the ToS and/or is disruptive to the game. Repeating the same message over and over, excessive use of letters, numbers or symbols, typing in all caps, and alternating caps can and is considered spam. To make things clear for everyone I will give examples.

Examples of Spamming

All Caps:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I AM SPPPPAAAAMMIINNG!!!

Typing in all caps is spamming and not allowed.

Alternating Caps:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: DoSe ThIs AnOy YoU eVeRyOnE?

Alternating between upper and lower case is disruptive speech and spamming. Not allowed either.

Repeating Messages:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I like being rude.
[Current]PoorPlayerCaughtInSpam: Please stop.

Another Example with Trade messages:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: S> Generic Item for more than it is worth
[Current]RandomPlayer: I don'twanna buy it. Sad

This also applies to trade message in chat. You may think it is ok because you want to sell your item and you want people to see your message, but you are not the only person playing this game. Many games offer a trade channel to sell items on and if they do there are rules that you will need to follow for that channel. But with games with no trade channel like DDTank you are NOT allowed to turn another channel into your own trade channel. Games without trade channels often have other methods in game to sell your items in. For example in DDTank there is an Auction House that was added SPECIFICALLY because players wanted to sell items to other players. So please use the Auction House instead of posting your trade messages over and over.

I also want to point out that slightly altering a message will not stop it from being spamming.

Typing Gibberish:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: kghfgj.ftfvjv5yy,ftd7flg8lhgy

Typing something that is just random letters/numbers/symbols is spamming and very rude. if you want to say something then type normally. if you don't wanna say anything and just want to make an annoying mess please keep it to yourself.

Ascii Art And Making Images In Chat:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: <( " <) <( " <) <( " <)
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: (^"^) (^"^) (^"^)
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: (> " )> (> " )> (> " )>

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

You may think it is cute you can flip a table or make kirby dance, but it is technically against the ToS and should not be done in chat. This also goes for any other askii art you can copy and past into chats or the shout box.

Emotes

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Sad
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Sad
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Very Happy
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Smile
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Razz
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Wink

You may think it is cute to post all the emotes the game or shout box has to offer, but to post them over and over, either all in the same line or one after the other like in the example is very rude and not allowed.

Typing Out One Letter Per Line or Countdowns:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: H
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: E
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: V
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: R
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Y
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: O
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: N

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 10
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 9
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 8
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 7
[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 6
ect...

Many games have chat limits and this is why. it is to stop people from spamming, especially in this method. This mostly happens in the Shout Box. It is rude and annoying so don't do it.

Typing messages that are upside down:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: ˙pǝʍollɐ ʇou puɐ ǝpnɹ sı ƃuıƃɐssǝɯ ɟo ʇɹos sıɥʇ

You may think this is funny or cool that you can type messages upside down, but it is hard to read and is annoying to try to read.

Excessive Letters/Symbols/Numbers:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: 1234567891011121314

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I really like exclamation marks!!!!!!!111!!!11

Again, you may think this is funny or you may think this is a way to express yourself, but this is very rude. If you wanna type a message type normally. And if you need to use extra letters or symbol to express yourself do not use more that three.

Examples:

Awww
Nooo!
This is important!!!

These are not excessive and are ok.

Repeating The Same message in a Trumpet/Horn/Other Mass Messaging Device And Current Chat:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I love random player!
[Trumpet]JoeNaughtyPlayer: I love random player!

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: S> Useless item
[Horn]JoeNaughtyPlayer: S> Useless item

If you use a horn or trumpet, or any other mass messaging item in game, almost every player will see that message. There is no need to also post it is current. It is seen already.

Also on the note of Trumpet and Horn usage; they are intended for important messages that you want to convey to the entire server. Things like a wedding, or getting a +10 on your weapon, or even just to say hi (once). Trumpets and Horns are not intended to hold conversations with your friends or random people so please DO NOT use them for that.

Excessive Item Linking:

[Current]JoeNaughtyPlayer: Noob Gear

This does not apply to all games as not all games offer item linking, but for those that do; you may be proud of your item but it is rude to keep posting your items. This applies to not only repeating the same item, but also other items you own. Chat is not your personal place to show off all you own.

These rules apply to all chats. But because GS's can only see public chats or chats they are currently in we can not monitor everything. If you see someone that is spamming, or anything else that is rude please report it.

So now you all know now what a GS means when they say spamming, please do not do it. And if you do it and a GS or GM asks you to stop please listen and stop doing it. Arguing with the GS or GM will not help you.

Advertisement

velvetdefaria

Rank 0
velvetdefaria
PostedNov 16, 2012 1:21 pm
Surprised Wish there was a like button. Use I wanna like it Very Happy

gummybear23

Rank 1
PostedNov 16, 2012 1:40 pm   Last edited by gummybear23 on Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am. Edited 1 time in total
o.o Spam is lunch meat too? I never know that :O

NecromancerV

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
NecromancerV
PostedNov 21, 2012 7:00 pm
gummybear23 wrote:
velvetdefaria wrote:
Surprised Wish there was a like button. Use I wanna like it Very Happy  

+1 Smile) suggest it Very Happy send ticket xD  

Better yet tell your friends to read and share. The more people know the better the community will be as a whole.

GMtk421

GameMaster: USA
GMtk421
PostedDec 14, 2012 3:49 pm
The team has seen EXCESSIVE item for sale links in current/horn/trumpet channels. Almost to the point where you cant even read the sentence because it moves up too quickly. This behavior is spam and numerous players (NOT GAME SAGES) have sent in tickets that this bothers them.

Don't get a mute or suspension for not following the rules! The Auction House is there so you can sell your items to interested parties Very Happy

sanh8888

Rank 0
sanh8888
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:31 pm

well

in the current each player need wait for 30 second for talk, gms go check it lol, so it hard to spam in the current chat lol. this is a game, people who $ , they cant say for what to buy?
Im sorry, but many players want to buy and sell fast, in AH is not enough, how about i want to buy cheaper than in AH? so i must be trumpet/horn/ and talk to people in current or in private for let people know it. For horn and trumpet, it need pay coins for do it, and in current chat need 30 second for talk 1 time.
I really dont see anything in this game call spam. bc people are playing, that how the game should be.
1st people need to talk for able to buy or sell.
2nd to tell that this game a live.
and for the GS that make this post, if go play and enjoy ddtank, go level up and do mission, and make your account better.
Dont sit there and bother people, for me, i see you are the 1 spam more than all of other players. You , yes you! you were spam over and over in current chat *stop spaming* or * use the AH*, go look at your self lools.

bloodhopes

Rank 0
bloodhopes
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: well

sanh8888 wrote:
in the current each player need wait for 30 second for talk, gms go check it lol, so it hard to spam in the current chat lol. this is a game, people who $ , they cant say for what to buy?
Im sorry, but many players want to buy and sell fast, in AH is not enough, how about i want to buy cheaper than in AH? so i must be trumpet/horn/ and talk to people in current or in private for let people know it. For horn and trumpet, it need pay coins for do it, and in current chat need 30 second for talk 1 time.
I really dont see anything in this game call spam. bc people are playing, that how the game should be.
and for the GS that make this post, if go play and enjoy ddtank, go level up and do mission, and make your account better.
Dont sit there and bother people, for me, i see you are the 1 spam more than all of other players. You , yes you! you were spam over and over in current chat *stop spaming* or * use the AH*, go look at your self lools.  

Bump on this one, deserves it really cuz we give profit to both parties, unlike those people who gives self pleasure on reporting others happiness lol

sanh8888

Rank 0
sanh8888
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: well

and another thing as a gs of ddtank, r u good in ddtank, how much u know in ddtank?
and u help people play in ddtank
or you sit there and pick on oother player? Smile
bloodhopes wrote:
sanh8888 wrote:

Bump on this one, deserves it really cuz we give profit to both parties, unlike those people who gives self pleasure on reporting others happiness lol  

Jennayx3

Rank 0
Jennayx3
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:53 pm
Yes of course the type of spam that Shannia is talking about is not allowed and rude. I would have to agree. But Shannia how about all the times you've PM-ed innocent people for accusing them of spam when they haven't spammed? Do you PM these people on purpose because of your own issues with the player? I feel that many times this is the case .... Due to your own personal problems or issues with a certain player. I feel that you attack them even though they aren't doing anything wrong. You need to put your personal feelings about a player or a league aside while you do your doing your GS duties. I feel that your an unfair GS and because of your hate for certain players and certain leagues you do what you can in your power to annoy them and act as if your superior to them... There's other issues in game besides Spam. Maybe you should take care of those as well. ^____________________^
And just because you dont like a player you shouldnt bash on them. Your no better than anyone. Everyone is Equal on this community.

sinarp

Rank 2
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:57 pm
All old players play have been here for a long time and have always enjoyed ddtank and now its like a prison. We can't even sell stuff without getting pmed and yelled at to stop. LIke for real? What the point of a free to play game if we have to "buy coins to purchase in shop. LIke why can't we buy and sellin game so we can save ourself money. at the same time. Buying and selling also helps people wanna spend more money on AP to get what they want. Its cheaper than shop outside of AH so in reality G.M's make ahuge profit. Another thing. Trumpets and Horns. Its a VANITY TASK. So its a TASK. Why give us a task to use trumpets and horns but we can't use it ? Thats kinda pointless to make it than huh? At the same time. an event that gives away trumpet s and horns. Woohoo who wouldn't use it. OH and another thing. Auction House yes its there Yes we can sell in it. But who has the time to Scroll trhough it? WE old players instead of sitting there scrolling through AH for an hour would rather ask people if they have it through Current chat or Trumpet or HOrn. We can't go around PMing everyone 1 at a time. That will waste more of our time. At the same time, sometimes people dont sell what we need in the auction house but they have it in our bag. If they see we need it than we can negotiate more easily. PLus if u advertise. People will know what you need and they will try look for you. In case its not in AH. Antoher thing. you said we can't S> B> cuz It snot a trade chat right.??? will you make us a trade chat than.....?????