RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 15, 2012 3:51 am

Any Tanks needed on Diamond?

Just wondering
Hiya everybody,

I recently decided to use a Warlock as my main...but when I got the class to bout level 50+ I was hugely disappointed by its limitations.

In april this year I made myself a MA somewhere around level 50 ...but didnt think it was much fun either.

So, when gettin my WL I was forced to play healing class...which I rly hated...
Now I am thinking about playing a Tank and would like to know if tanks are currently needed.

I also want to ask if I can use my MA and maybe change its Heroic Trait or if I should start a completely new character.

I also want to inform you that I never, in ANY game, played a tank class.

I would like to know what I will have to expect when playing a tank class.
Can I start tankin early on?
Is it heavily gear depended?
Are tanks needed right now?
Do I need a lot of money to play this class?
Can I solo? (I hate to depend on players for normal leveling)
What is the best tanking class?
Do you have a build for me I could use? I prefer beein specialized in one area rather then beein able to do lots of things but nothing really good.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Anchaai

Rank 2
Anchaai
PostedNov 15, 2012 6:56 am
- It depends on you mostly, but a nice leveled tank should do.
- If you're gonna be an defensive tank, you're gonna need a shield, and one hand weapon would do, but if you're gonna go Warrior DPS, preferably two handed weapons. You might need fortified armor for more defense and stat boosts.
- Not sure on Diamond, but in Sapphire (especially in peers under lvl 60) there is a HUGE tank shortage in there, so tanks are really needed as much as healers would be.
- So far, tanks tend to be expensive, included the forting costs, fame needed for mats to craft Tank equips, and masive repair costs.
- Yes, yet they tend to be slow to solo if you focus on using a shield, well it's faster if you Tank using two handed weapons, but it's probably more faster than a Bard run though.
- Not exactly sure, but Templar I think. But for me, for usual defensive tanking I use Knight cause of the EVA and ACC build, plus the increased attack counts and the Magic Block skill: makes a target unable to use skills for a few seconds. Really useful against mobs on DGNs, also good against Magic users in PvP.
- There's a lot of threads about tank builds in here. Too bad I can't link stuff in this post cause I'm using my tablet when I posted this.

And also most Melee DPS tend to steal aggro from tanks in DGNs though, but for luring mobs, if you want to last longer go tank, then let the DPS do all the damaging (especially the MDPS on AoEs and DoTs)

LawlAmgad

Rank 0
PostedNov 15, 2012 7:11 am
Tanks are very much needed for every server, many people don't like playing tank or just aren't good enough to.

Yes you can still play on your MA character and change your heroic trait, but you should be alright with your current heroic trait. Heroic traits are nice, but they aren't too much of a game changer, your gear can make up for a bad heroic trait. I have Maverick because it helps every class out, it gives me eva/attack speed on my tank. Gives me attack speed on my melee DPS and RDPS and gives me cast speed on my healers and magic DPS. So I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you've got a magic DPS heroic trait and really don't plan on ever playing MDPS.

What you can expect from a tank class is easy parties, good tanks generally get added to people's friends list and people will beg you to join their party. Of course you can expect a lot of rage if you're not a good tank. People generally blame the tank, even if it's the healer's fault, the DPS's fault, expect to get blamed. Some people will call tanks masochists because of how much punishment they take. Also, don't expect big numbers on the screens, some people enjoy hitting big or healing big, but tanks don't really do that, the most fun I get from a tank is when I outgear a dungeon and just mob up 3 packs of mobs and watch everyone AoE them down.
Also, EE is rather funny with threat/malice, you will find DPS can easily grab aggro, other MMORPGs this doesn't happen that often, but EE is special. Once you get to the higher levels you will find OP DPS that will grab aggro from you instantly and a lot of tanks use DPS gear and a DPS build to keep aggro but try to keep their gear in check with enough defense/eva/block.

Yes you can start tanking early on.

Yes, it's very gear dependent, gears have to spend a lot to keep their gear up to scratch. Also, I find things aren't as straight forward. When I decide what gear I want to use on my mage I go with a few procs, some mcrit there, some mattack there. When I decide what to use on my tank, I have to decide if I have enough def, enough eva, enough malice, enough procs etc. I generally switch my gear around depending on the party. If I have enough malice I'll equip for more defense, if I have enough defense I'll equip for DPS gear. Adaption of gear will change the way you tank.

Tanks are very much needed.

Yes you need quite a bit of money later on.

You can solo, but it's faster to level as a DPS.

Best tanking class is debatable. People have their preferences, but I will say, try them all out and change depending on the situation. Warriors generally have more health, defense and block rate. They also get access to an AoE fear which is a nice panic button, they get a charge with a stun and finally they get an AoE provoke.
Knights on the other hand have more evasion and attack speed, they get access to a triple hit skill an AoE skill which generates quite a bit of malice.
I haven't really touched templar so can't help you there, but think of a magic tank, they are much harder to gear and don't have as much malice on AoE trash packs.

Now it's debatable on which is better, AoE provoke and knight's AoE skill, judgement storm, I'm more partial to judgement storm but a lot of people like AoE provoke. But you will never stick to one tanking class, warriors are immune to fear, knights are immune to sleep, templars are immune to stun. I switch between them depending on what the mobs/boss may throw out. But just try them out and decide which one you like more.

Builds are a bit funny, I would recommend you look at the defensive section in the class information board for that kind of thing.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 15, 2012 7:19 am
This sounds nice Smile
I think the Warrior would be a good choice.
I've seen some party where the TANK cant keep the mob ...which can easily break the run.

I think I will try getting a tank class later today Smile

sonicfire46

Rank 0
sonicfire46
PostedNov 15, 2012 10:07 am
RockmanZXZ wrote:
I've seen some party where the TANK cant keep the mob  

this is quite common in higher lvls as the DPS is usually quite high which rips the aggro from many tanks (MALICE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its all about damage) which is why many people prefer Warrior to tank dungeons as they have Group Provoke at Lv50 which gets aggro from all mobs with in 20 feet (25 feet with glyph (correct if wrong)) INSTANTLY.

to sum up: Malice is quite a lie, Warrior is good in dungeons for Group provoke (can go along with regular provoke)

zylro

Rank 0
PostedNov 15, 2012 10:45 am
malice is generated via skills/damage, so if you do insane DPS, then you generate way more malice then a tank can, since they focus on defensive stats so they can't generate malice as quickly, however a good tank is able to build tanky and do enough damage to keep aggro.

ohai

Rimstock

Rank 0
PostedNov 15, 2012 6:29 pm
You may be set on warrior but knight is a much better tanker from my experience, you will find out quickly enough that knight can generate more malice because of skill stacking malice generation if built properly, provoke glyph helps alot on warriors but its still a huge gap. Since your getting into the 50's on your characters I advise 2 peices of ancient sheild set, 2 of spirit chain and my personal prefferance is leaving breastplate slot open for blue quest rewards or kemrocks plate (higher stats on blues) You will want to get a holy light sheild, rainbow eye (+702hp proc) or the 3% tripple hit cape with eva on it. Polar sunset/FDR are good rings but if your good you will outgrow the need for them and wolfs howl is a must for +111 agi=111eva, weapons end up being best you can find with no real this is a the best becided maybe shadow laccerator for the great proc but low dmg. Good trophys are Ketaks, Quades, and then anything with a defence proc or elemental res proc and defence on it. Be sure to pick up guardian enchants for +4% malice on each trophy~ thats all I have time for if you want to see my tank set on diamond look me up

Varkolak