MajaMajaMaja

Rank 1
MajaMajaMaja
PostedNov 13, 2012 1:41 am
Valkita wrote:
girafig321 wrote:
The thing is that tanks are not dumb and they usually search for good healers and dps. So the money investment argument is sort of invalid since good tanks only roll with well geared dps and healers. DGN's can be done with no tank as long as the healers are competent, IMO decent healers ( and that is not only gear wise) a lot more rare than good tanks  

Ok, I have been thinking about this, and I am passionate about tanks.

This is true, but to be honest I feel this is only valid when you have really good healers. It depends on you definition of competent healer. I feel most of the time you would have to have very good healers to do without a tank. My main class is cleric, and I'm so-so in my skills. I have a grasp of the basics and timing, but I would be nowhere without my tank. This is a game where not all healers are great. It is tough to be a great healer. And when you are not, you are scrutinized. That is when your tank helps you out. So many times, I mentally thank my tank for bringing in what I can deal with.

I think tanks are the smartest players in the game. You have to judge how much your party can handle and how to lure them into your group, with not only how much is in front of them but also what is coming our party's way (if something is roaming in the horizon). They know how much your party can support and defeat. So, I truly feel bad (as being the healer) when my tank dies. Even if it is their mistake, I feel I'm not there for them (even if I die soon after them), because of my bad move or if I hit the wrong key. So, the world needs good tanks, and I hate to see a party without one (not to say that you suggest that the world doesn't need tanks, I'm only saying that I love my tanks :3 )

I'm happy that this thread was made. I will happily offer my gold for my tanks to repair their gear or help in their gear development. I never realised it cost so much and I truly appreciate their help in all my dungeons ._.

Val  

I wish you were my healer, and for the repairs $$$$. lol but kidding aside, I as a tank player really appreciate the existence of healers like you. Keep it up! Smile

<html><CENTER><br>Sanctify - Sapphire</CENTER></html>
Advertisement

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedNov 13, 2012 5:15 am
Valkita wrote:
girafig321 wrote:
The thing is that tanks are not dumb and they usually search for good healers and dps. So the money investment argument is sort of invalid since good tanks only roll with well geared dps and healers. DGN's can be done with no tank as long as the healers are competent, IMO decent healers ( and that is not only gear wise) a lot more rare than good tanks  

Ok, I have been thinking about this, and I am passionate about tanks.

This is true, but to be honest I feel this is only valid when you have really good healers. It depends on you definition of competent healer. I feel most of the time you would have to have very good healers to do without a tank. My main class is cleric, and I'm so-so in my skills. I have a grasp of the basics and timing, but I would be nowhere without my tank. This is a game where not all healers are great. It is tough to be a great healer. And when you are not, you are scrutinized. That is when your tank helps you out. So many times, I mentally thank my tank for bringing in what I can deal with.

Val  

You kinda have to be able to as healer in the 65+ parties. Dps are such aggro magnets that the tanks cant keep aggro anymore, this is often the reason for a party to say we dont really need a tank for the mobs and some bosses. Fast runs and bosses there mostly is a tank though.

iaaf83

Rank 1
iaaf83
PostedNov 14, 2012 12:17 pm
I've always mained tank since lvl 40 cap in Aquamarine.
I've always read LF1M tank or LF2M tank/healer throughout all the peers up to 60-69 one.
I think there are many reason for the lack of tanks (at least the ones that volonteer themselves in peer) and mostly they've been already stated:

Tanks have no problem finding parties with friends/guilds.
A decent tank cost more gold to set up than a decent dps.
Repair cost is higher (repair hammer NT , and orange shield really helped me on this).
Everyone loves to PewPew and seeing their name up in BattleRecorder
Party Attitude: when fail -> blame tank IF not possible -> blame healer
Tanking and Healing require more skills and concentration (see below)

With last point I don't mean that dpsing requires no skills (mage is not just spamming snowstorm/firebombs). But when you tank and/or heal you need a constant focus and concentration to be ready to react to dangerous/unforseen situations. I've seen lots of dps chatting during a trial and still doin their job perfectly. Tanks (and even more healers) must always keep their focus up and that can be tiring; beside most of the boss skills tends to affect healer/tank gameplay (malice reset, reflect after you hit the boss with a debuff, summons...).