Soalai

Rank 1
Soalai
PostedAug 14, 2012 7:36 pm   Last edited by Soalai on Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm. Edited 9 times in total

The Newcomer's Guide to In-Game Lingo v2.0

A glossary of slang terms you're likely to find while playing
Hey everyone. I decided to make this guide because the old one got deleted (and it was not on the EE forums anyway). It is basically a glossary or dictionary of terms you will see in the game, on chats, and on the forums. I know people see terms they don't recognize all the time so I hope this will help people with understanding their peers and the game world a little better.

These terms are categorized in alphabetical order and their most common area of use. If I forget anything, please let me know and I can add it.

General Terms
AFK - away from keyboard. People may have legitimate reasons for doing this, like getting food, and some people are lazy and do so unfairly (especially in the arena)
ATM - at the moment
AGE - Aeria Games & Entertainment, the company that localizes and provides us with our English version of the game
AP - Aeria points, a currency bought with real money that can be used to get exclusive items in the game
BD - blade dancer
bear - Ursun character
bot - an external program that is used to play or operate a character automatically, without human input. Please note these kinds of programs are against the rules in EE
BP - break points/blueprint
break - to reduce a boss monster's BP bar to 0
BRT - be right there
CC - change channel
cert - certificate
ch - channel
chibi - halfkin character
CP - class EXP, required to level up a specific class
DC or D/C - disconnect. When a player seems to leave or log out suddenly, this is the cause
DGN - dungeon
EC - Eden Crystal
engi - engineer
EXP - experince points, required to level up your character
farm - to repeat the same action over and over, usually killing monsters or completing quests, to acquire gold, EXP, or specific items
FNO - Finding Neverland Online, the Taiwanese version of Eden Eternal, which gets its content and updates before the Aeria version
frog - Anuran character
GM - a small group of Aeria employees who act as the supreme overlords and administrators of the game, handling all events and player questions
GQ - guild quest
GS - game sage. These are folks you see around the forums who volunteer to help players and act as moderators for a certain game
grind - to repetitively kill monsters and finish quests for the sake of getting EXP and leveling up
GT - guild town
IGN - in-game name. This refers to a user's character name, which may be different from their forum or account name
KP - knowledge points. These are acquired once per class level-up and enable a player to customize their character's stats or builds
lag - when the game slows down, usually a server issue that affects multiple players. When lagging, a character's actions will be delayed and they may not be able to react to what other players or monsters are doing
LFP - looking for party
LFM - looking for more
LFG - looking for group/guild
MA - martial artist
mage - magician
mats - materials, used for crafting
mouse - Zumi character
ninja - a player who rolls "need" for every loot drop, thus depriving other players of a shot to get some spoils from a dungeon. Please note this behavior is very frowned upon and will make you a lot of enemies
NPC - non-player character. These are characters that you see standing that are controlled by the game rather than by a person
OMW - on my way
Pt - party
QQ - to cry or whine about something unnecessarily
RNG - random number generator. To put it simply, this is the reason all things in the game happen a certain way; the computers and servers have a system of randomly determining events, which can work in a player's favor or not
shammy - shaman
SS - Safety Stone
SSS - Sublime Safety Stone
tele - teleport, usually referring to the magician's skill Spatial Conversion
ToS - terms of service. These are the rules or conduct for the game and website, set up by Aeria, that must be followed by all players
troll - to act maliciously or otherwise be obnoxious in order to provoke a response from others. The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore or report them to a game sage
VoK - Valley of Kings
WC - wrong chat/world chat/world call
WH - guild warehouse
X-Legend - the Taiwanese company that develops the game and all its original content

Combat Terms
1H - one-handed weapon
2H - two-handed weapon
aggro - see malice
AoE - area of effect. These are skills that, instead of having a single target, can deal damage to a select area or a range around the caster. This term also refers to the literal area targeted by these attacks, which can be hit if in range
BM - Burning Metal, a bard skill
DoT - damage over time. These are skills that deal continuous damage for a certain amount of time
DPS - damage per second. May refer to either classes in the melee, magic, and ranged branches, or to specific skills within these branches
HoT - heal over time. These are healing skills that heal a certain amount every few seconds
kite - to attract monsters' attention and then run away so they follow the player
KO - knock-out (kill), when a target's HP is reduced to 0
malice - a measure of how much attention a player has generated from monsters; the one with the highest malice will be attacked by the monsters
mana - MP or magic points, needed to cast spells
mob - monster
MoL - music of life, a bard healing skil
nerf - to weaken something by changing its attributes. The most notorious example of this in EE is when Aeria gave the bard skill Burning Metal a cast time to prevent people using it for farming
OP - over-powered
PW - Purifying Wind, a cleric skill
PvE - player versus environment, the default combat in the game where a player or party fights against NPC monsters controlled by the game
PvP - player versus player. The opposite of PvE, this covers activities like the arena and duels where all opponents in the fight are controlled by humans
run - to complete a dungeon, possibly repetitively
stack - to cast certain skills multiple times, multiplying its effect. Note only some skills can be stacked, and each skill has a limit on how many times it will stack
squishy - fragile or easy to kill. Generally this refers to characters with low DEF that die quickly
tank - the character in a party who takes all the damage and keeps monsters' attention
trash mobs - monsters in a dungeon that are not the boss
TW - territory war, a special kind of PvP where guilds can compete to occupy an area
wipe - when every member of a party is killed in a dungeon

Commerce Terms
AH - auction house
CoD - cash on delivery, a method of sending items and gold between players
IM - item mall
K - when placed after a number, 1000
NT - non-tradeable. This label indicates an item that cannot be given to other players
WTB - want to buy
WTS - want to sell
WTT - want to trade
Advertisement

azureleaf777

Rank 1
azureleaf777
PostedAug 14, 2012 9:08 pm
Awesome work! Good job in this. Just to add in it, I've seen people use LFG which might mean Looking For Grind (but I'm not sure in this). You can ad EQ if you want (equips) or the other term for diconnected--- D/C. Also for the Combat Terms: maybe Break (to damage a Boss until the BP diminishes or breaks) I've seen people use that too.

Overall, awesome guide! Thanks a lot! :D

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedAug 14, 2012 11:18 pm
Nice guide :3

Some terms that could be added:

Mage - Magician
brt - Be right there
SS - Safety Stones
SSS - Sublime Safety Stones

Soalai

Rank 1
Soalai
PostedAug 15, 2012 8:27 am
azureleaf777 wrote:
Just to add in it, I've seen people use LFG which might mean Looking For Grind (but I'm not sure in this).  

I always through that means looking for group, which would be the same as LFP... I'll add D/C though.

raedrin wrote:
Some terms that could be added:  

Done for all.

<br> <a>GuildLaunch userpage</a><br>

azureleaf777

Rank 1
azureleaf777
PostedAug 15, 2012 9:38 am
Add BD for Blade Dancer. I notice you don't have it there.

Soalai

Rank 1
Soalai
PostedAug 16, 2012 7:58 am
Agh, can't believe I forgot that. Adding it.

<br> <a>GuildLaunch userpage</a><br>

PoolHooss

GameSage: Eden Eternal
PoolHooss
PostedAug 22, 2012 3:56 pm
Another one for the list:

KD- Knockdown, usually referring to Templar's Lightning Wave or Illusionist's Aerolite skill

-Is currently looking for someone to revamp my profile, message/comment if interested.

Tempestchron

Rank 0
PostedAug 22, 2012 9:06 pm
warp - another word for tele
wipe - an instance where the party is KO'd inside a dungeon or in the field.
rb - Rebuff. Usually addressed to healers to recast buffs on party members.
mech - term used to refer to the Cyber-up form of engineer
elites - Special mobs who spawn hourly (correct me if I'm wrong) in every zone. Killing them yields defender boxes.
LFG - can also stand for Looking for Guild.
MoL - Music of Life, Bard's HoT skill.
Stim - Illusionist's stimulation skill.
FF - Focus Fire. A general term meaning focus all the attention on a specific target.

Some new ones floating around (not used enough to be slang though):

MB - Mana Battery. Used to refer to Illu.
Sleeper - People who AFK during arena.

Proposed slang?
sad - stands for Stop Attacking Dimwit. Shortcut term used to refer to tanks who can't be bothered to read instructions.

SeptimYgdrassil

Rank 0
SeptimYgdrassil
PostedAug 23, 2012 5:04 am

Proposed slang?
sad - stands for Stop Attacking Dimwit. Shortcut term used to refer to tanks who can't be bothered to read instructions.  

Lol XD
This would actually be very useful .__.

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedAug 23, 2012 5:06 am
PUG: Pick Up Group: A group of random people whom you get together for a dungeon and might be noobs that screw up horribly on the dungeon.