eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedSep 28, 2011 10:48 am   Last edited by eeeasytiger on Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am. Edited 1 time in total

[Guide] Complete Soldier Guide!

For all of you top notch Soldiers out there!
As with the rest of the guides I have posted, this is also a copy paste from the official Battlefield Heroes forums. The original guide can be found here: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/showthread.php?tid=73697

First of all, this is a guide about how I play my Soldier. There are many different ways of playing a Soldier, additionally there are a lot of points of view about what's effective and what's not. So please always keep in mind: This is not the Soldier guide, this is a Soldier guide. Read other guides, too, and decide what fits best to you.

... has 110 Hitpoint and a slow run speed. Though Gunner are even slower, they can offset this with their ability Leg It, which makes them the fastest character around. So we have less health and are slower than a Gunner. But you can deal lots of damage as a Soldier, at least against infantry. Fighting against a tank is a bit tricky. But the great infantry damage really indemnifys us for that.

When you adjust your controls, make sure you can reach every skill and weapon fast - it's essential in combat. Good keys for skills/weapons are: 1, 2, 3, 4, Q, B, T, Right mouse button (If you don't want to play a Commando, it's usually assigned to scoping), the mouse wheel (klicking the mouse wheel can be a skill as well as rolling it up or down) or any other mouse buttons your mouse may have.

This is my configuration right now:

1 - Main weapon (Rudolf's Rescue)
2 - Secondary weapon (Gerhardt's Greatest)
3 - Explosive (TNT/Grenade)
4 - Grenade Spam
5 - Wrenches
B - Bandages
Q - Burning Bullets (I use shift for the emotes)
M3 - Combat Medicine
M2 - Blasting Strike
-M2 - Sixth Sense

When you have problems with aiming because your mouse is too fast, you can adjust this in
Options -> Controls -> Mouse -> Sensitivity
Try out how you can aim best! I have a sensitivity of 0.8.

I also would deactivate the ingame tips like "Press space to deploy parachute":
Options -> Controls -> General controls -> Show ingame tips: No

If you are new to flying a plane and are confused that your plane goes down when you move your mouse up you can "fix" this:
Options -> Controls -> Aircraft controls -> Mouse -> Invert mouse: No
You can also use the arrow keys instead of the mouse for flying up/down or turning around. I like the mouse more, but try it out. Don't forget to put "Fire" on space (or any other key), as you can't reach your mouse while having both hands on the keyboard Wink

Okay, that would be done. Now let's go over to our

My stream.
Advertisement

eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedSep 28, 2011 10:49 am

Before we can fight the first battle, we need some equipment, which in fact means weapons, widgets and abilities. Without a good preparation you can hardly achieve a good score and lead you team to victory. So I'll explain the weapons a Soldier is able to use in this post and dedicate the next one to his abilities.
A Soldier is able to use Submachineguns (SMG), shotguns, pistols, a TNT and grenades. You can only carry 2 "normal" weapons (SMG, shotgun, pistol) and one explosive (TNT, grenade) with you.

The Wacky Machine Gun / Greg's Greasy Gun

Ammo: 25
Range: Long
Rate of fire: Slow

This is the slow, long range SMG. It has a great accuracy, but doesn't really deal good damage. Handy in combination with Burning Bullets to ignite and kill Commandos, but this is the only thing this weapon is good for.
Rating: 3/10, we have better long range weapons left.

The Kommandant / Charlie's Chopper

Ammo: 30
Range: Moderate
Rate of fire: Moderate

The SMG everyone, has with a moderate range. It's okay, not especially good or weak. Useful for the first levels, but you should change it as soon as possible for the following weapon
Rating: 5/10, a solid weapon for the first levels, but not really useful at higher levels,

You can use this SMG together with the fast one to switch to it when the fast one runs out of ammo.

Rudolf's Rescue / Tommy's Typewriter

Ammo: 40
Range: Short
Rate of fire: Very fast

This is our weapon! It's a great weapon for close and medium range combats and it does really great amounts of damage. This is due to his incredible crit damage, it's ~25 with on single bullet. It is a must for every Soldier. Get this baby as soon as possible!
Rating: 10/10, superior at close/medium ranges!

So we take the fast, short range SMG. We could also use the slow one as a long range weapon, but let's watch the other weapons first.

Uwe's Overpowered / Slugger

Ammo: 8
Range: Long
Rate of fire: Moderate

A shotgun which is supposed to deal damage at long ranges, but it doesn't. It's rate of fire is miserable and its damage awful. Just forget about this one, maybe it will receive a buff within the next update.
Rating: 1/10, useless at all ranges.

Steiner's Shotgun / Hubble's Double Trouble

Ammo: 10
Rate of fire: Fast

A solid shotgun which deals nice damage at close ranges. It's the second weapon we have from the beginning. As we already have our short range SMG, we don't need it and leave it beside.
Rating: 3/10, we simply don't need it as we already have a close range weapon.

Friedrich's Fly Swatter / Stewart's Shotty

Ammo: 12
Range: Very short

This shotgun does incredible damage at very close ranges. If you're just a meter or two away from your opponent, it deals up to 30 damage/shot. Therefore it nearly doesn't deal any damage at medium and far ranges. You can use this one if you want to specialize at close range combat. I like to have something against sniper, too, so I do not use it.
Rating: 8/10, incredible damage at close ranges.

Gerhardt's Greatest / Harry's Hand Cannon

Ammo: 8
Range: Very long
Rate of fire: Slow

This is our long range weapon! It is nearly 100% accurate which allows you to even win battles against sniping Commandos far away. It deals ~10 damage at close ranges, but up to 20 damage at medium and long ranges. 5 shots usually bring a Commando down, and you can also damage Gunner and Soldier far away.
Rating: 9/10, the best long range weapon the Soldier has.

So we leave the slow range SMG beside and add Gerhardt's Greatest to our equipment bar.

Ludwig's Loaded / Carl's Cold Comfort

Ammo: 6
Rate of fire: Fast

A nice pistol, but 6 shots are simply not enough, it's even hard to bring a Commando in one clip down. Anyway we have our SMG which is better in every respect.
Rating: 1/10, the SMG is better.

Florenz' Flurry / Garreth Custom

Ammo: 12
Range: Short

Let's make it short: It deals nice damage at close ranges, but we have our SMG which is a lot better.
Rating: 1/10, completely useless for us.

Sticky TNT

Radius: Moderate
Damage: High

The TNT is used against vehicles, especially tanks. When you hit a tank with it, it will stick on it until it explodes. It usually deals ~100 damage, which is a bit more than half of the tank's life.
It explodes after 4 or 5 seconds after you threw it, but if you shoot on it, it will explode immediately. Do this to surprise the tank driver!
Rating: 5/10, strong against tanks, but it's hard to get it there. Additionally, it flies in a very strange way, it's hard to hit a moving tank.

Steel Hand Grenade / Bill's Bomb

Radius: Small
Damage: High

The grenade is great against groups of infantry and also against single targets. It explodes on a direct impact with an enemy where it deals 50 damage. You can throw them really far, in combination with Sixth Sense you often can damage your opponents before the real fight begins.
Unfortunately, it does pathetic damage against tanks (~15 damage).
Rating: 7/10, great against infantry, weak against tanks and other vehicles

You have to decide what is more important to you: An additional weapon against infantry, especially groups, or a weapon against tanks. I for my part play with the grenade, I usually play infantry maps anyway.

If you want to know how much they heal or how many VP you pay for how many Hitpoints, you can find a nice summary here.
I for myself use the fine bandages + splendid wrenches. They both heal nearly 50%, and with CM I'm on full health again within 12 seconds only.
If you only play with one character and don't buy any VP clothes you usually have enough VP to buy even more expensive widgets. I myself have three chars and I can't afford any more expensive bandages. As a Soldier there also is no need for them, as you have CM. But when you have only some hitpoints left, they really come in handy.

So we have Rudolf's Rescue/Tommy's Typewriter, the short range SMG, Gerhardt's Greatest/Harry's Hand Cannon, the long range pistol, a normal TNT or a grenade and some widgets equipped. RR for close/medium targets, GG for enemies far away and TNT against tanks. Okay so far.
You can also test any other combination, but this is an "allaround-equipment"

My stream.

eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedSep 28, 2011 10:50 am   Last edited by eeeasytiger on Sep 28, 2011 10:56 am. Edited 1 time in total

As this is the heart of Battlefield Heroes, here some explanations about the abilities your Soldier is able to use. You get one Hero Point every second level you achieve (You don't get any Hero Points by raising in the ranks), and one point at the beginning, which is always spent in Combat Medicine and can't be removed. Hero Points are used to increase the level of a skill from level 1 up to level 5. You can reset your abilities with the "Ability Refund"-button at the top right in your Abilities-screen, so try everything out and experiment!

Instantly heals yourself and all nearby team mates.

Amount healed: 15% / 21% / 27% / 33% / 40%
Refresh Time: 20s / 18s / 16s / 14s / 12s
Additional health you gain for every friend healed: 5% / 7% / 9% / 11 % / 13 %
Radius: 8m / 8m / 8m / 8m / 8m

We have to use this as there always is one Hero Point spent in this ability. No Problem: Combat Medicine heals you and your teammates around for up to 40%. If you share CM, you get even more health, depending on your CM level and how many firends you heal.
This is our ability to support our team and to survive in combat!
You should get 5 points in this as soon as possible, it will save your life (and your teammates' ones) very often and makes you independent of bandages (which are way to expensive to be used all the time anyway).

Allows you to throw multiple grenades at once!

Number of Grenades: 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
Refresh time: 20s / 18s / 16s / 14s / 12s

When you activate Grenade Spam, you get some grenades in your hand which count as a normal weapon, which means you can throw them (Which also is the point where it starts recharging), or keep them as long as you want. If you change your weapon while GS is active, you will lose your grenades and the skill will start recharging.
Many people say that Grenade Spam is overpowered and able to insta-nuke a Gunner. I don't really think so and I've never been insta-nuked by GS since the update. It's a nice skill to deal damage against groups of enemies, but quite useless against single targets as you would deal more damage with your SMG instead of throwing your grenades.
It's already nice at level one, if you play a lot of infantry maps I highly recommend to spend at least one point in it. It also works great with Sixth Sense, as you know where your enemies will appear.

Allows you to see all enemies for a short period of time.

Duration: 6 / 7 / 8 / 10 / 12
Refresh time: 15 / 15 / 13 / 13 / 10

Nice skill, but one Hero Point is enough. So you can see your enemies through obstacles as walls or trees. A higher level would allow you to see tanks and jeeps, too, and decrease the cooldown. As you can see the jeep's driver with Sixth sense, but not the jeeps itself, it's unnecessary to spend more points in it to see tanks. Of course cooldown and duration get improved on higher levels, too. If you activate it, then also look around you! It's complete nonsense if you activate Sixth Sense and just walk straight on.
Turn around, watch your environment, get an overlook over the battlefield!

Shots fired from your SMG set enemies on fire!

Damage over time: 20 / 24 / 28 / 32 / 36
Duration: 4 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 6
Refresh time: 15 / 15 / 13 / 13 / 10

This is the real damage-dealing skill! Doing up to 36 Damage over time (on level 5) to everyone hit by your SMG while you were under the effect of it, it's not only great against single enemies, you can ignite whole groups of enemies! It triggers 4 times for each a forth of the damage given in the description.
Most Soldier have it level one only, which is already enough to deal a nice damage and to nerve Commandos. If you want to improve it, bring it on level 3 to decrease the cooldown (Of course it does a little more damage, too, but it's the cooldown you spend your Hero Points for). I would not bring it on level 5, you can use these Hero Points elsewhere.
Last but not least: the flames make Commandos in stealth „visible“, allowing you to target him and shoot him up.

Knock back all nearby enemies and vehicles!

Explosion power: 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70
Refresh time: 18 / 17 / 15 / 13 / 10

After we maxed CM and skilled BB and SS, we should go for Blasting Strike. It's handy to blast away planes, jeeps, Gunner, Knifer, groups of enemies and tanks!, but it's also the skill with which you can sabotage your own team the best. When you use Blasting Strike, all vehicles, enemies, grenades and kegs around you are thrown away. Problem: When you throw a vehicle on your teammate, he dies, often even an enemy gets the kill. Also, Gunner wont be pleased when he just threw a very nice keg and you blast it away. So: Watch out! You need quite some practice to know who the things you throw around really fly, whether they land in front of your mate, behind him or right on him....
If you want to really get sure not to be in your team's way, then use BS only when you're alone.
But despite all, a well-used Blasting Strike in a group of enemies throws them away in every direction, allowing your team to hunt them down one by one.
It can deal incredible amounts of damage if you throw your enemies against an obstacle (up to 100+ damage). While you're enemy is flying he can hardly aim and he's an easy target for you. Use that to your advantage!
It can also be used to blast away enemies when you're hiding, giving you some additional time.
Funny: Blasting Gunner/Soldier in the water and blast them back again when they're coming out. It's not funny with Commandos as they can stealth in the water Sad

So, which abilities to use?

We need Combat Medicine, thats for sure. I would bring CM on level 3, then spending 1-3 points in Burning Bullets, then maxing out CM. After this, you can bring BB on level 5, skill Sixth Sense or put some points in Blasting Strike. Thats your decision, try a combination with which you can play. At level 30 you should have CM 5, BB 5, BS 5 and Sixth Sense 1. Of course you can replace BS with GS or make a mix of your abilities.

Now we have our equipment. Now we have to know how to fight:

My stream.

eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedSep 28, 2011 10:51 am   Last edited by eeeasytiger on Sep 28, 2011 10:54 am. Edited 1 time in total

Here are some tips how you can encounter the other classes you will face while playing Battlefield Heroes. If you don't want to read everything, you can find a little summary under the single topics.

Use the SMG against short/medium range targets (When available with Burning Bullets), the pistol against enemies far away, TNT against tanks. Never ever use your TNT against infantry. Always try to get from behind or from the side, Sixth sense can help you. Use your camera to look around corners. Try not to walk great distances without any cover nearby. When under fire, locate your enemy and evade by moving left and right. Only move backwards when you want to flee (or want to keep the distance to a Gunner/Knifer, of course). Moving backwards wont help you evading your enemy's bullets.
When you're low on health, draw back and use bandages + CM to get full health again.

In brief:
  • SMG -> short/medium distances, pistol -> far distances, TNT -> tanks
  • Use Sixth Sense for an overview over the battlefield, attack your enemies from behind
  • Watch out for Snipers, try to always have some cover around you
  • When under fire, evade by moving left and right

As long as Gunner do not have Leg It activated, they aren't difficult to handle. Activate Burning Bullets and simply shoot him up. When he is still „far“ away, use your pistol to damage him before the real fight begins. This is more effective than shooting with your SMG. If he gets too close, use Blasting Strike to get him away. Try avoiding kegs, as they slow you down and deal nice damage. Also try not to be thrown in the air by bazooka shots, it makes you an easy target as you can't move while flying.
When a Gunner has Leg It, it's quite hard to aim. Again: Try to keep your distance, though it's really hard. High level Blasting Strike can save your life. When he's close with his shotgun, jumping can save a lot of hitpoints. Don't throw grenades on a Gunner with Leg It. He can easily evade them.

In brief:
  • Keep your distance to the Gunner, e.g. with Blasting Strike
  • Avoid kegs and bazooka rockets
  • Use your pistol as long as he is still far away

I think you just have to be better than your opponent. Both of you can have the same equipment. However, you can do some thing which will increase the chance you'll win the fight: Surprise your enemy by coming from behind/the side can give you the upper hand as well as jumping while in very close ranges. If you don't know whether he has Blasting Strike or not, watch out for obstacles behind you. It can deal ugly amounts of damage if you get thrown at the wall right behind you (I already lost ~60 damage from one BS). Additionally, try to evade the Grenade Spam of your opponent (or normal grenades he might throw. I don't recommend to do this unless you are really good with them, as you have to hit your opponent directly).

In brief:
  • Come from behind, use Sixth Sense
  • Avoid being crushed by Blasting Strike
  • Don't use Grenade Spam or normal grenades as they are easy to evade

There will be two "types" of Commandos you will encounter: Melee Commandos (Pistol or Knife) and Sniper (or even worse: camper ^^). Pistol commandos are easy to kill, most use the short, fast range pistol, and hardly ever I've been killed by such a Commando. Just shoot him up.
Knifer are a way more dangerous. If you fight against a skilled knifing Commando, you may have a problem. If you have Blasting Strike, then blast him away. If don't have BS yet, just try to shoot him up. In any case, use Burning Bullets. Some Shots with BB + BS should kill a Commando if you throw him against an obstacle. If you get knifed, never ever just move straight backwards! Move left and right, try to evade the stabs. As a Commando is much faster than you, he can easily kill you when you just move in one direction. Additionally, the knife has a rate of fire, too. Most Commandos just hold their left mouse button down, so try to adjust your movement to his stabs.
Playing with sound can tell you a Commando is sneaking up behind you when you hear the Elixir sound.
Sniper are a greater problem. When you see a sniping Commando, grab your pistol, aim and shoot him. Most Commandos are dead before they realize they are being shot.
If you're the one being shot, first use Combat Medicine. Most bullets deal more than 40 damage, so there is no need to wait with CM. Now, there are two possibilities: 1. You have cover, so hide. 2. There is no cover you can reach before getting shot. So try to locate the Commando (can be tricky especially when the Commando is very far away). You can use your SMG with Burning Bullets to try to ignite him. Or you take your pistol and try to shoot him with it. If I see the Commando is not too far away, I first ignite him and then try to shoot him with the pistol. It depends on the distance which weapon is more effective.
Of course always try to evade the sniper bullets. Don't move straight on, run in irregular circles for example. I don't know how to describe it exactly, I think you know what I mean Smile
Playing with sound can save your life. If you hear the Piercing shot sound, jump, duck or at least try somehow to dodge the bullet.

In brief:
  • Use Blasting Strike against melee Commandos
  • Try to evade the stabs of Knifer by strafing and jumping
  • Use the pistol against sniping Commandos who are not shooting at you
  • If you get shot, heal and hide
  • "Reveal" Commandos' invisibility with Burning Bullets

This is the greatest problem as a Soldier. You are slow, you don't have a speed buff to get close to the tank (which is necessary to get your TNT on the tank) and you can't damage it from far away. The only ability which can help you is (beside CM, of course) Blasting Strike. You can use it turn the tank upside down (Best solution, but you have to throw him against an obstacle or he will unlikely flip over) or at least throw him away, giving you time to either flee or put a TNT on it.
    Also remember you can use BS to prevent a tank smash.
    Though many people throw their Grenade Spam on tanks, it nearly doesn't deal any damage unless you get most of your grenades right under the tank. But most tank driver will just evade them. I would not waste time on trying to kill a tank with GS.
    When close to a tank, try to get your TNT at the end or the front. Stay at his side, neither he can shoot you nor he can run over you. When you know your TNT will finish the tank, try to shoot it with your SMG. Most drivers will leave their tank when they're low on health and hear a TNT is going to explode. Shooting the TNT can surprise your opponent.
    When you have a tank yourself, aim for the sides of the enemy tank.
    You always quit a vehicle on the left side when you were driving. So if a Commando leaves his tank, you know where to look for him. Don't forget Burning Bullets to be able to track him once you hit him.

In brief:
  • Use Blasting Strike to prevent tank smashes, flip the tank over or to buy some time
  • Aim for the sides of the tank
  • He can't hurt you when you're right next to him
  • Shoot your TNT
  • Don't use Grenade Spam, it's useless

Well, your greatest worth in a team are your two shareable skills: Combat Medicine and Sixth Sense (Yes, 6th Sense is shareable Very Happy). When your group faces one or multiple enemies, wait a bit until you think one or more people in the group could use a CM. Try to alternate with the other soldiers: There's no need for your CM if a Soldier just activated his. Also, stay in the middle of the group to make sure everyone is affected by CM.
When you're walking in a group, 6th Sense is handy, because your mates can better throw their kegs/grenades/Grenade Spams.
And please, if someone in front of you does the „I need a medic“-Emote and maybe even looks (or shoots) at you, activate your CM. You will easily survive the 12 seconds you're left without it.

When playing with friends (and all of you have a headset + microphone), use a voice program like Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Skype, Shockvoice or even ICQ or X-Fire.
It helps you to stay together or to coordinate which abilities everyone takes with him (2 Gunner can support a whole team with permanent Leg It when they both have level 3 Leg It, for example). It also saves time because you don't have to use the (crappy) ingame chat. And it's simply more fun when you have someone to talk to Smile

In brief:
  • Share Sixth Sense and Combat Medicine
  • Alternate with your teammates
  • Use voice programs while playing with (a) friend(s)

My stream.

eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedSep 28, 2011 10:51 am

A vehicle map with many tanks. You have 3 tanks, some jeeps and an airplane at your starting point, 3 tanks, again some jeeps (they spawn later in the game) and an additional airplane back at your main base. There are two more jeeps and tanks near Town and Lighthouse, too. So we have 16 tanks spread over the whole map. There nearly is ever a tank around, and as we have problems with them as a Soldier, you should try to have an airplane or a tank, too. Only move as infantry near Village and Lighthouse. In an open field you get easily killed either by tanks or Commandos.

A vehicle map, too, but with less tanks and more jeeps. There are only 4 tanks, both times one at the main and one at the starting point. Greatest problem that you will face in Buccaneer Bay are camper. They have many spots to camp: Shipwreck (front or end, it doesn't matter), Town and especially the hills around Town and Shipwreck. Sometimes you can even find a camper in the hills near Mansion and Farm. Best tactic against them is a tank. Often even cover does not help, as the camper often surround your spawnpoint (Town/Shipwreck).
If you get the airplane at the beginning it's useful to fly to your opponent's main base and steal their tank. As long you can keep it alive, they have one tank less and in the best case, your team has 3 tanks and they only have one. When your stolen tank is nearly destroyed, park it somewhere the enemy probably wont find it. As long as it stays alive, it wont respawn.
When your team has Shipwreck and your opponents have Town (Or the other way around), don't run straight to their flag, try to come from behind. Most player don't realize they are being shot from behind when they have an opponent in front of them.
Or try to get a jeep and capture their starting point. If you have 2 flags more than your opponent, they loose 2 tickets per death instead of one.

An Infantry map. Probably the best map for a Soldier. Each side has 1 jeep in its main base and these are the only vehicles in this map. 3 Players should use the jeep and go for Roadblock at the beginning, once you have Roadblock it can hardly be captured by your enemies again. The rest should capture Orchard/Guardpost and then try to get Church Square.
As a Soldier, it's the most important thing that you stick with your team! Try to avoid the great road, there often is a Sniper at the end (Nationals only). Watch out for troop traps, they are often placed in small passages.
When your opponents have Roadblock, never-ever try to capture it back, nearly always you get shot when you try. Instead, capture the other 3 flags, so your team has the advantage.

Again an infantry map, but with more jeeps: 2 Back in your main base, 2 at your starting point and 3 will spawn later at windmill. Try to get Lookout first, it's easier to defend and on higher ground as Windmill. Try not to walk in the area between Windmill and Lookout, you're easy prey for Commandos there. As CC is more an "open" map, which means there aren't many obstacles you can hide behind, watch out for snipers generally.

Though RR is called "infantry map" it's more is a "sniper map". As soon as you leave "your" area and try to cross the canal, you usually get shot, especially as a national Soldier. The Royals have two great camping spots (as seen above in the map). You can either try to shoot the camper with your pistol (or to throw grenades in the camping spot in the "balcony" of the house near Boulevard), wait for your opponents to come to your side or try to cross the canal in the east where usually are less sniper. You can also stick together with some teammates and then cross the canal. Leg It, Shield and CM will help you all to get on the other side.

Actually, I did not intend to make a video, however, I recorded some games yesterday evening and chose this one for you all to see. I think it shows quite good things I can hardly describe in words. I played without BS but with a normal grenade and Grenade Spam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8f18NE_gZs

My full Equipment was: Rudolf's Rescue, Gerhardt's Greatest, the normal Grenade, Grenade Spam 1, Burning Bullets 3, Sixth Sense 1, Combat Medicine 5 and level 3 wrenches + widgets.

My stream.