Lanceknightmare

Rank 2
PostedMay 29, 2011 3:31 am
First for this custom build. I will have to define all possible paths a Tank can take. '

Elemental 2- Strong Elemental
Elemental 1- Strong Elemental
Nearly equal to Elemental 1 strong element

Magic Resistance
Defense
Hit-points
Absorb-ion

Elemental 2, 1 and Luck are ranked. As raw percentage reducing techniques. The Elemental 2 versus the correct elemental monster. Has over a 50% damage negation. Elemental 1 has a solid 50% damage negation. While Luck can potentially negate the extra 50% from Critical hits 95% of the time. Making it potentially more versatile than either of the previous. Since it doesn't just apply to a certain element. I'm aware of the -20% negation a Elemental 1 gets versus a Neutral Elemented Monster.

Archers benefit strongly from Luck as an offensive statistic. Though, this statistic can also be used defensively as well. Worst case scenario in the game. Is that you are dealing with around 5,000 to your opponents damage statistic. That's abnormally high even for Episode 5. Though, my calculations support that it can be done.

According to the information I've picked up. With 1,000 Luck you are looking at around 40% critical negation. Versus monsters that don't carry Luck. So, 2,500 Luck should give you a solid 95% Critical Negation. I don't see 2,500 Luck happening though. Without the use of Level 7 Lapis.

Weaknesses of this build- Not suited for Hardcore Player versus Player. Looses some of its bite in Player versus Player. Not Self-Reliant.

Strengths of this build- A VERY strong Anti-Tank build for both PvP and PvE. Excellent at negating damage in PvE.

Note: By not self-reliant. I mean that this build can be played. As Insane Offense or Insane Defense. The use of other Defensive statistic such as Hit-points with Luck. Will make you virtually unkillible. On the other hand, you need Dexterity to hit. The Luck statistic in PvP and some of PvE. Will not always act as a strong defense in all cases. The use of Orange Statitics in Offensive or Defensive Statistics. Will majorly impact how this build works. You could just place several of your orange statistics into Hit-points. For a more Defensively build character. You could go even further, just linking all Defensive Statistics with your Hit-points. Though, a strong Luck Focused Archer. With all Offensive Statistics. Makes it impossible for anyone to hide behind any level of Defense. Making the High Hit-point PvPers. The only ones that can potentially survive your arrows.

The problem with trying to do a tank build as an archer is that you don't have any skills that can hold aggro for multiple mobs.

You only really have a couple of AoE attacks, and nothing that is a guaranteed hit.
Priests/mages have frost barrier/fire thorns, defenders have taunt, fighters can pull it off because they have so many AoE attacks, but archers and rangers struggle a little.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot harder and you have to be prepared for the fact that you will lose mobs. You need to have a plan for what happens when you do.  

Your definition of a Tank is a Party Tank. Not a Tank Build character. It is possible to build a Tank. For the sole purpose of soloing. In fact, some areas require it.
Advertisement

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedMay 29, 2011 6:43 am
MerlinMcTav wrote:
The problem with trying to do a tank build as an archer is that you don't have any skills that can hold aggro for multiple mobs  

it's possible

i've tanked for a pt once with my UM archer with has no REC ( only some from accs and prayer ) Razz

i think that you need to contact with kimber. he ( or his friend ) has tried a REC archer.
so he can give you informations and also tips from his ( or his friend ) experience
( kimberfan )

i still remember it, because it has been discussed here : "the high level tanking archer"

signature of xybolt

piecemealcranky

Rank 2
piecemealcranky
PostedMay 29, 2011 7:25 am
Ah, that must be the thread or something that I recall...

ballistik1

Rank 0
ballistik1
PostedMay 29, 2011 2:26 pm
MerlinMcTav wrote:
The problem with trying to do a tank build as an archer is that you don't have any skills that can hold aggro for multiple mobs.

You only really have a couple of AoE attacks, and nothing that is a guaranteed hit.
Priests/mages have frost barrier/fire thorns, defenders have taunt, fighters can pull it off because they have so many AoE attacks, but archers and rangers struggle a little.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a lot harder and you have to be prepared for the fact that you will lose mobs. You need to have a plan for what happens when you do.  

A good friend of mine can tank bosses, and holds her own against some top warriors on Teos Fury, even kills them lol. Oh and my friend isn't UM either.

Razz

kimberfan

Rank 4
kimberfan
PostedMay 29, 2011 11:26 pm
MerlinMcTav wrote:

with enough dex the problem is minimal, wideshot holds and steals aggro like you would not believe, for a single boss VSS+nailed shot is amazing

there is also blunt and shot pointer which both hold amazing aggro and in the final lvl they are AOE as well

atm my GF only has half her intended target of rec (lets say its below 600 but thats all you can know) and she pulls aggro off the best rec defs/priests in ET during KI bosses or any boss for that matter

archers pull aggro the worst of any class as it is anyway much less adding rec.

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
PostedJun 11, 2011 10:10 pm
kimberfan wrote:
MerlinMcTav wrote:

with enough dex the problem is minimal, wideshot holds and steals aggro like you would not believe, for a single boss VSS+nailed shot is amazing

there is also blunt and shot pointer which both hold amazing aggro and in the final lvl they are AOE as well

atm my GF only has half her intended target of rec (lets say its below 600 but thats all you can know) and she pulls aggro off the best rec defs/priests in ET during KI bosses or any boss for that matter

archers pull aggro the worst of any class as it is anyway much less adding rec.  

Guards can still do it better but eh there's a secret to it Smile

Yes Hunters and Archers have tons of aggro skills. Every Single time a debuff "tries" to activate, it counts as a skill toward aggro, so yes, direct target skills hold massive aggro, even moreso if someone has 4 debuffs on it. As far as tanking .... it's an acquired taste. I'd rather a Guard do it since I want to unload as much damage as possible and not harass

Ruling; It's a pheasible build, but expected to be restricted from doing certain activities within your guilds, like taking bosses. They will rule that a orc/guard should tank, and therefore your rec toon is disruptive to their boss tanking. It's interesting to say the least in pvp though.

Minasdefender

Rank 3
Minasdefender
PostedJul 07, 2011 3:18 am
As for AoE grinding (assumedly in a power party with some AoE DPS'ers and priests) to hold agro you can always carry a crossbow too. Wide shot, swap weapons, ballista shot.

7 rec 2 dex. One of your 2 aoe's would hit almost every mob almost every time guaranteed.

And with DoTs you could still ghetto solo even if your max hit from a normal attack is 5 damage.